Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Mocking A 5K Stick On A Car
Quote | Reply
Walking into a running store, I see two people I'm assuming were runners (26.2 t-shirts) making fun of a car that has a 5k and 10k sticker on their car. Basically mocking how insignificant those distances were. We've seen people on this forum make similar comments.

In this case, I know who's car it belonged too. A friend of mine who served three tours in Iraq and was wounded on in all three tours, the final one being a loss of a leg. When he returned home, he suffered from PTSD that resulted in him losing his marriage and visitation with his kids. He then tried to commit suicide. Today (24 months later) he has his life in order and is a very active runner, including finishing two marathons. That 5k sticker was from me challenging him to get off his ass and do something. The 10k sticker was his own challenge. He has no 26.2 stickers because he considers running a lifestyle now instead of a battle for life. Thus the reason the 5k and 10k stay on his car.

I made a similar statement to the two runners walking into the store and even offered to introduce them to my friend, whom I was meeting there. They refused and bolted in the opposite direction of the store when we walked in.

For most of us, including my friend, a 5k is our warm-up. However, that doesn't make us any better than those rising off the couch and going after a goal, even if that goal is so much smaller than ours. Think before you speak.

Quote | Reply
good for you for saying something to them

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Mocking A 5K Stick On A Car [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd also add that a fast 5K is more impressive than a 12+ hour IM. (Unless, of course the IM is done in similar circumstances as your friend.)
Quote Reply
Re: Mocking A 5K Stick On A Car [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I'd also add that a fast 5K is more impressive than a 12+ hour IM. (Unless, of course the IM is done in similar circumstances as your friend.)

No they aren't. I've done both, sub 15 5k's and plus 12 hour IM.

End of hijack.
Quote Reply
Re: Mocking A 5K Stick On A Car [Bootlegger Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>No they aren't. I've done both, sub 15 5k's and plus 12 hour IM.

I said fast 5K. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I totally don't get that sort of attitude. At IM WI, I saw a guy wearing one of those t-shirts that said, "You do marathons? How cute." Made me want to smack him. I'm in awe of folks who can run a marathon fast. And I totally don't get the need to knock somebody else down to make yourself feel better about what you do.

Spot

Quote | Reply
If I were Alan Webb I'd have a "1 mile" sticker on my car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear your friend is doing better.

I have a perfectly healthy acquaintance who has a 13.1 tattoo. Can I make fun of her? Please? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Mocking A 5K Stick On A Car [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Letsrun offered a good option on April Fools:

http://www.cafepress.com/...101&aid=80439687
Quote Reply
Re: Mocking A 5K Stick On A Car [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
good for you for saying something to them

Went through the same thing with my son earlier this summer. Was at a running store getting him some new cross country spikes. Saw a 5K sticker on a car and my son overheard some other "runners" mocking it. The 5K sticker was a new driver 16 year old runner, well into the 15's for that 5K sticker. I didn't bother to look for the 26.2 or IM stickers on the 4-hr looking marathon types...

Just saw a recent major marathon winner as a patient (2:1x runner) who drives an old Ford Taurus wagon with a Jesus Fish on it. Pretty darn hard to judge running prowess from the back of a car for sure ;-)

Re: Mocking A 5K Stick On A Car [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I thought about picking up a 5K sticker for the heck of it. If someone mocks me, I can ask them what their 5K PR is. I'd hope Bekele has a 5K sticker for his car...;) I have no issue with 5K car stickers, it's fuel belts in a 5K...WTF??!! Even if you walk a 5K, do you need a fuel belt because you can't survive with an aid station every mile.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Mocking A 5K Stick On A Car [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want one of those 0.2 mi stickers. (I only run in cyclocross)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you for speaking up on his behalf. I have both a marathon and ironman tattos. I know they're taboo here but each have personal meaning to me (not quite like that of your friend, but personal none-the-less). People really shouldn't put others down especially without knowing their backstory.
Quote Reply
Re: Mocking A 5K Stick On A Car [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
I want one of those 0.2 mi stickers. (I only run in cyclocross)

Overachiever…

Quote Reply
Re: Mocking A 5K Stick On A Car [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We should get 10k stickers...
With a little swimmer on it.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Mocking A 5K Stick On A Car [Negotiator1225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

X2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People are idiots and have a lot of insecurities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was swimming at a high school pool when I was changing after the swim. Yep, us old guys look like old guys. I overheard a couple of the high school kids making comments about me being there.
So as I walked by, I asked if any of them wanted to challenge me in an ironman race. Boy did they get quiet. :o)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Mocking A 5K Stick On A Car [thebigb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thebigb wrote:
If I were Alan Webb I'd have a "1 mile" sticker on my car.

Better yet...Usein Bolt gets to put

on his Nissan

To the OP, totally agree. It is easy to put down others. Everyone's achievement is very personal. Good for your friend and I am glad he pulled is life back together.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Mocking A 5K Stick On A Car [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Yeah, I totally don't get that sort of attitude. At IM WI, I saw a guy wearing one of those t-shirts that said, "You do marathons? How cute." Made me want to smack him. I'm in awe of folks who can run a marathon fast. And I totally don't get the need to knock somebody else down to make yourself feel better about what you do.

Spot

That shirt is directed at the asshats who mock 5K stickers. . . .My first races (5 and 8K's) were a HUGE accomplishment for me after almost a decade of a sedentary lifestyle due to work and schooling. I have several frenemies (people I am forced to hang out with due to mutual friends) who actually mocked me to me face about my running and when I told them about starting to do triathlons this summer (they asked how my running was going, I didn't bring it up) in such condescending tones my wife was about ready to jump over the table at a wedding reception with a steak knife. (and these aren't superstars, 4:30-5 type marathoners, my buddy who does 3:00 is one of the most supportive of my racing probably second only to my wife). Once I do an IM race (at least two years off, baby steps) I am going to get a dozen of those shirts and wear one to every BBQ, weekend getaway, etc. we do. Gauche? Certainly. But don't be a douche to me and I won't be one to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You worry to much about what people think. Why would u even give people like that your time?

Prev Next