Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mind bending video about riding a bike
Quote | Reply
Funny and fascinating video about bike riding, learning, trickery, and the creation and revision of motor programs:

https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=MFzDaBzBlL0&

Love the part at the very end where a six year-old kicks the butt (skill-wise) of a veteran pilot and multi-mission astronaut !
A dose of humility.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 4, 15 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: Mind bending video about riding a bike [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He needs to learn to ride a bike no hands....problem solved.

It's an interesting experiment (there are similar ones with upside-down image glasses). However it does not validate some of his conclusions.

Knowledge does equal understanding; what it does not equal is capability.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. Really cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. It's cool, and fits quite nicely with some research we are doing in my lab on bike handling and coordination.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wouldn't this be wholly applicable to gait change in running (esp given age when attempting to do so).
Quote Reply
Re: Mind bending video about riding a bike [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
He needs to learn to ride a bike no hands....problem solved.
It's an interesting experiment (there are similar ones with upside-down image glasses). However it does not validate some of his conclusions. Knowledge does equal understanding; what it does not equal is capability.

I don't think the bike can be ridden no hands, as the steering gear mechanism adds some friction to the system, which I think prevents the bars and fork from moving effortlessly from changes in lean and body weight.

But overall it is a truly fascinating experiment and video, but I agree that his take away from it all is a little off. Learning to riding a bike (this one, or a regular one) requires the creation of a motor program in your brain. This program can be revised or rewritten, but it takes (for most mortals at least) many hours of repetition to do it. And it is possible to have two motor programs for the same physical movement to coexist in your brain, but switching back and forth between them can be difficult (and dangerous if the stakes are high). Because, usually, if there is some stress or stimulus (he mentions a distraction like a cell phone call), one immediately reverts back to the most heavily practiced motor program. Which can, of course, result in disaster if the old program does not apply to the new situation.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 4, 15 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fascinating indeed! thank you for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool stuff...thanks for sharing! I learned how to ride a bike backwards just for kicks and I distinctly remember when it "clicked" so I can somewhat relate.

Also, not to derail the conversation but this video brought me to this...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Left stroke right kick, right stroke left kick, left stroke..... HA!

"This is precisely why EVERY video game need to have an option to reverse the X and Y axes... If you grew up playing flight simulators, or are a real-life pilot, games without reversible pitch axis are unplayable."

From someone there. Disagree. I fly (stick aft pitch up, forward pitch down) and also play games. Reversing the mouse so aft moves up is completely weird and unusable to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Mind bending video about riding a bike [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting.
I did not know this.
Are you saying that there are flight or spacecraft type video games where stick aft = pitch down, and stick forward = pitch up ?? If yes, that is crazy.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it points out just how hard it is to change swim technique in adults, very similar thing. We are trying to make changes, sometimes drastic, to ingrained motor patterns and it is very difficult to do. It took him 8 months of practice to ride the bike apparently.

I was reading in the swim coaches idea exchange group about some people saying how hard it is to change technique after the age of 12. To which I thought, no kidding, try changing technique of 42 year olds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Interesting.
I did not know this.
Are you saying that there are flight or spacecraft type video games where stick aft = pitch down, and stick forward = pitch up ?? If yes, that is crazy.
Not flight sims with a joystick. Moving the mouse. He talked about inverting the mouse so it behaves like a flight stick. Pull the mouse toward you (down) and the pointer goes up. There's a reason that setting is called invert. :p Because it is backwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a gas.

Also explains some of the riders in Tri
Quote Reply