Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Military Programming- PFT, PRT, Ruck Training.....here
Quote | Reply
I am an active duty Naval Officer (>18 years) serving as the staff exercise physiologist at the US Naval Academy. I run the human performance lab, teach in the PE department, run the remedial fitness program and design fitness programs for students and staff. I have worked with hundreds of staff and students in the last two years. I have set up a site to share the more successful programs that we have developed and tested here. You will find them here:

http://prevost-training.blogspot.com/

This is an effort to raise money for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, but the programs are free. Donate if you want, if not, that is OK too. If you are so inclined, please help me spread the word about the site. I am not at all tech savvy about promoting blogs.

• The PRT program has been used by hundreds of Midshipmen with great success.
  • The PFT program was rolled out last year but has been very effective so far. The run and pull-up portions have worked especially well.
  • The "Training for your first pull-up" program is a version of something I have used for a couple of decades. I developed this particular version when the USMC mandated pull-ups for females. We are using it for several Midshipmen and staff to prepare for that challenge. So far it has not failed yet. I have used it for my wife, who can do 15 dead hang pull-ups in her mid 40s.
  • The endurance training programming doc is a stripped down version of Coach Barry Pollock's program. We have to keep it simple here due to time commitment of the staff and students. It works.
  • I will be uploading a ruck training program we have been having success with, plus a SEAL screener / BUD/S program that lots of Midshipmen have used.
  • More to come

Everybody has their own views of programming and what works and what doesn't. There may be a better way. However, I can tell you that we are using these programs as written and they are working.

Anyway, I hope you will visit, maybe donate, spread the word and come back often. I am not and will not be selling anything or trying to sell any coaching services. This is about sharing and charity. Hope you find it useful.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: Military Programming- PFT, PRT, Ruck Training.....here [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,

Awesome stuff. I'm also glad you put what you've been doing on ST so people can realize you're a rather smart dude when it comes to this training stuff.

Hope you don't mind I tweeted out the blog.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Military Programming- PFT, PRT, Ruck Training.....here [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll share out the ruck program when you have it up. I have a decent following, and I'm active in the GoRuck community. Not sure if you've heard of it, but those folks are always looking for stuff like this.

Paul
Current Top 2:
7 Things Non-cyclists Should Know About Road Cycling
The GORUCK Challenge Ruined My Life
Quote Reply
Re: Military Programming- PFT, PRT, Ruck Training.....here [AdventureRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AdventureRun wrote:
I'll share out the ruck program when you have it up. I have a decent following, and I'm active in the GoRuck community. Not sure if you've heard of it, but those folks are always looking for stuff like this.

I have two Goruck packs. I love the packs, very rugged and they ride well. I also have some of the sand filler bags. I work the pack and sand filler bags into some of my kettlebell programs. I'll get the ruck program up next week.
Quote Reply
Re: Military Programming- PFT, PRT, Ruck Training.....here [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Mike,

Awesome stuff. I'm also glad you put what you've been doing on ST so people can realize you're a rather smart dude when it comes to this training stuff.

Hope you don't mind I tweeted out the blog.

Thanks Brian. Not sure if you noticed I have a link to your site on the page. I am putting up some links to steer the Midshipmen to some good sources of info.
Quote Reply
Re: Military Programming- PFT, PRT, Ruck Training.....here [AdventureRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AdventureRun wrote:

The ruck training program is now posted. For those with run goals and a need for ruck training, we end up counting the ruck as an extra run. works

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great. I'll post it up to my twitter and FB page feeds later this week. Hopefully it'll drum up some donations for you.

GoRuck are definitely great packs. Insanely durable and even comfortable for a pack with no waist strap. Dragging that thing along pavement, rocks, through mud and barbed wire, and resting giant logs on it for miles has never put a dent in the thing whereas a regular pack would be torn to shreds.

Paul
Current Top 2:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AdventureRun wrote:
Great. I'll post it up to my twitter and FB page feeds later this week. Hopefully it'll drum up some donations for you.

GoRuck are definitely great packs. Insanely durable and even comfortable for a pack with no waist strap. Dragging that thing along pavement, rocks, through mud and barbed wire, and resting giant logs on it for miles has never put a dent in the thing whereas a regular pack would be torn to shreds.

Yes, I filled my Goruck pack with sand bags this morning for a kettlebell complex plus split squats. Pack works great for extra load for split squats. It does ride well. I hiked the pack in this morning with 50lbs of sand in it. It sits very well, even with no hip belt or chest straps. The design is very well done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ill pass this info along as well. love seeing what you are doing at the naval academy. i was on the track and cross country teams there and would have loved taking your principles of strength and conditioning course back then but no such thing yet. really am surprised they havent pushed for a whole ex phys dept there as they have the space. also, there would be a great gain for officers to be sufficiently trained in ex phys. it is referenced there a lot that you dont use your degree (most of the time) upon graduation but i would argue that ex phys would be used a lot more along with the basic professional knowledge they hammered home. (got in trouble and left school after junior year, went to nmsu and took those courses anyway...ill give you the details if you pm me its a funny story but not one i would post on a forum)

go navy

do they still do the wreath thing with maxed out prt's?
Quote Reply
Re: Military Programming- PFT, PRT, Ruck Training.....here [frankienm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frankienm wrote:
ill pass this info along as well. love seeing what you are doing at the naval academy. i was on the track and cross country teams there and would have loved taking your principles of strength and conditioning course back then but no such thing yet. really am surprised they havent pushed for a whole ex phys dept there as they have the space. also, there would be a great gain for officers to be sufficiently trained in ex phys. it is referenced there a lot that you dont use your degree (most of the time) upon graduation but i would argue that ex phys would be used a lot more along with the basic professional knowledge they hammered home. (got in trouble and left school after junior year, went to nmsu and took those courses anyway...ill give you the details if you pm me its a funny story but not one i would post on a forum)

go navy

do they still do the wreath thing with maxed out prt's?

I don't know about any wreath thing. Have not hear of it. We have plenty of people maxing the PRT though. West Point now has an exercise physiology degree option. USNA continues to be a technical engineering school primarily, so it would be difficult to add exercise phys. I assume you must have run for Cooksie and Al Cantello? Both are great people and have done more for the Navy than most I know.

Take care
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup, al and cooksie. cooksie picked me up from the airport for my recruiting trip and the rest was history. i actually got to run for both when most stick to one. i was a pure 800m guy and cooksie took a crack at me first then i went with al the rest of the time... al never forgave me for going with steve first and if you know al, its not a good thing to get on his bad side. he is pretty much all my old teammates and i talk about. my favorite al quote was to a kid he wanted to quit but wouldnt kick off, "why dont you go try downhill sodomy?" or to a group of slower runners "you guys are like barnacles on a beautiful blue whale"
Quote Reply
Re: Military Programming- PFT, PRT, Ruck Training.....here [frankienm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frankienm wrote:
yup, al and cooksie. cooksie picked me up from the airport for my recruiting trip and the rest was history. i actually got to run for both when most stick to one. i was a pure 800m guy and cooksie took a crack at me first then i went with al the rest of the time... al never forgave me for going with steve first and if you know al, its not a good thing to get on his bad side. he is pretty much all my old teammates and i talk about. my favorite al quote was to a kid he wanted to quit but wouldnt kick off, "why dont you go try downhill sodomy?" or to a group of slower runners "you guys are like barnacles on a beautiful blue whale"

You know Al is still coaching here. He is just as fierce of a competitor as he ever was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Linear Programming for the Tactical Athlete

25 Pull-Ups Program

Both added for free download.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting Mike. BEAT ARMY!

USNA '89
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, why no swim training??? Don't all middies have to pass a swim test??? Also, since you've mentioned Spec Ops, obv the SEALs must have to pass a pretty hard swim test. How about adding some of this swim stuff???

I spent 28 yrs in the USAF/AF Reserve, retired in April 2013 as an O-5. As you prob know, the AF PT test is 1.5 mi run, 1 min push-ups, and 1 min sit-ups. Only para-rescue jumpers (PJs) and maybe a few other specialties have any swim reqmts.

Also, I went to Johns Hopkins, just up the road from you in Baltimore. We used to, and I think still do, compete against Navy in lacrosse and swimming, and possibly one or two other sports. I swam there my frosh year.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Military Programming- PFT, PRT, Ruck Training.....here [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
So, why no swim training??? Don't all middies have to pass a swim test??? Also, since you've mentioned Spec Ops, obv the SEALs must have to pass a pretty hard swim test. How about adding some of this swim stuff???

I spent 28 yrs in the USAF/AF Reserve, retired in April 2013 as an O-5. As you prob know, the AF PT test is 1.5 mi run, 1 min push-ups, and 1 min sit-ups. Only para-rescue jumpers (PJs) and maybe a few other specialties have any swim reqmts.

Also, I went to Johns Hopkins, just up the road from you in Baltimore. We used to, and I think still do, compete against Navy in lacrosse and swimming, and possibly one or two other sports. I swam there my frosh year.

Eric

I have a BUD/S training program that includes swimming. I just have not posted it yet. For most others, swim is not a requirement beyond being able to manage 75 yards without drowning. Even for those with swim requirements, swimming is generally done with fins, which changes everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just posted it my website's twitter and FB feeds. I have about 3k followers total, so nothing grand, but it's right in the wheelhouse for target audience since a lot are into GoRuck and similar events.

Paul
Current Top 2:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Prevost wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Eric

I have a BUD/S training program that includes swimming. I just have not posted it yet. For most others, swim is not a requirement beyond being able to manage 75 yards without drowning. Even for those with swim requirements, swimming is generally done with fins, which changes everything.

Ah, I see, ya 75 yds w/o drowning is not terribly hard, and swimming with fins is much easier than w/o fins. Thanks for the info!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AdventureRun wrote:
Just posted it my website's twitter and FB feeds. I have about 3k followers total, so nothing grand, but it's right in the wheelhouse for target audience since a lot are into GoRuck and similar events.

Great, thanks. I'll get the SEAL Screener / BUD/S prep program up maybe next week. I want to tweak the write up a bit first though. It is a tough one!
Quote Reply
Re: Military Programming- PFT, PRT, Ruck Training.....here [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes and no, trust me after swimming without fins for a long time those fins at BUD/S were trashing my legs, whole different kind of swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SEAL training program added. This is something I have been tweaking over 2 years. Many Midshipmen have used it to prepare for the SEAL Screener here. Some have used it for SEAL cruise as well as BUD/S prep. It is a tough program! This is not something you would do year round. It is designed to top off your fitness. There are many other programs (i.e., Sealfit, Stew Smith, Military Athlete) that are excellent (better? who knows?). However, we have had success with this program. Remember, this was designed for 18-24 year old Midshipmen who are already in pretty good shape.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just came across this (looking at GoRuck posts). Thanks for sharing - good stuff.
Quote Reply