Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Midwest training
Quote | Reply
What would you consider the best spot in the midwest to get in some really good training? I live in the Chicagoland area and at times, the traffic and annoying drivers can get annoying and downright dangerous.

I'm looking to head somewhere for a couple of weeks but was not sure exactly where to go. Driving distance from Chicago would be preferred. Clearly, access to a pool, good run routes and good bike routes is the prime objective.

Thanks,
Justin
Quote Reply
Re: Midwest training [justinmetzler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madison is nice and close
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Galena

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madison.

PM me and I can hook you up with more information and people to train with. I'll be in town starting May 12th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Madison but I don't bike in the city ever-there's freakin' cars everywhere. If you like sitting in traffic at stoplights Madison is perfect.

There are fast, rural roads and gnarly hills within 10 miles of basically every direction with [much] less traffic: Verona, Middleton, Mt. Horeb, Cross Plains, Barneveld, Black Earth, etc.

Honestly, I'd say the suburb of Verona is the training base for triathletes around here. There is a clean swimming hole (Fireman's Park) with parking and direct access to the Ironman bike loop.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Midwest training [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably Madison, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Iowa City, Milwaukee, Chicago West Suburbs, Des Moines, Omaha, Sioux City, Quad Cities. in about that order. Further south, Columbia, MO.

Galena and Dubuque are often overlooked. If you want hills, hills and more hills, it's hard to beat.

The central midwest has an advantage of mostly midsized cities with less traffic congestion, low cost of living, good rural roads for running and riding nearby, and centrally located to a lot of places. A LOT of races are within 4-6 hours (driving distance) but still good access to training resources.

For youth triathlon programs, it's become a real hot bed. Per capita, I think only the Boulder area is has more elite athletes and many of those are transplants, not home grown.

It also helps that the central midwest was mostly unaffected by the recession with home values in most area actually rising the last 10 years and unemployment the lowest in the country.

I hate to say it, but with State of Illinois financial instability, I'd look elsewhere. I also think Chicago area is over populated and cost of living is over-inflated, commercial and residential properties are overbuilt. It's another bubble ready to burst. But that's just my gut feeling.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Midwest training [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Probably Madison, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Iowa City, Milwaukee, Chicago West Suburbs, Des Moines, Omaha, Sioux City, Quad Cities. in about that order. Further south, Columbia, MO.

Don't go lower on the list than that. Plenty of good suburban/rural riding in both areas.

I think Colorado is driving distance from Chicago...

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Midwest training [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

Don't go lower on the list than that. Plenty of good suburban/rural riding in both areas.

I think Colorado is driving distance from Chicago...

On the flip side, Iowa City probably adds 2 weeks onto spring and fall weather. Columbia MO adds almost a month on each end.

But I agree, the 1st two are standouts. But Iowa City and Des Moines are worth considering. Also, if you're near the pointy end, you can be a big fish in a small pond in many age groups. You don't even have to break 2 hours or 4:20 (Olympic 70.3) to be the fastest 35-39 athlete in Iowa.... well not last year at least. That will likely change this year.

I think Denver is about 14 hours from Chicago, so I consider that a bit of a stretch for driving distance. Maybe I should have said, an easy 1 day trip, which I consider 6-8 hours max. Beyond a 8 hour drive, you're pushing the limits with a wife and kids to avoid making it a 3 or 4 day weekend.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha yeah Colorado was a joke.

Mind if I ask where you're from? I only ask because I've spend good time in Mpls, Des Moines, Omaha and couldnt imagine including the second two in the same sentence as MN

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know of a publicly-accessible, outdoor, 50m pool in the midwest? Indoor? I might put that at the top of my list. Madison doesn't really have either, and our 25y public pools have the typical sporadic schedule. (Though if you do find yourself in Verona, the Goodman pool is outdoor, in a beautiful setting, and in a great place for riding. [Note there are Goodman pools in both Madison and Verona.])
Quote Reply
Re: Midwest training [duffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Galena is nice. But is there a decent pool out there?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Midwest training [markharms234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... but if I were going somewhere for a couple weeks, I'd consider a road trip out to the mountains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Door County, Wisconsin is great for training. You have very well maintained roads with little traffic, state parks for running, Lake Michigan for swimming, and a great setting for the family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to stay close, then Barrington is your first option. Plenty of rollers with some good riding. Madison/Verona would be next, 2 hours away and you can ride the IM Madison course.

I just spent a weekend training in Brown County and Bloomington IN and it was a great riding spot. About 4 hours from Chicago.
Quote Reply
Re: Midwest training [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
Haha yeah Colorado was a joke.

Mind if I ask where you're from? I only ask because I've spend good time in Mpls, Des Moines, Omaha and couldnt imagine including the second two in the same sentence as MN

I just meant that they have active triathlon communities and resources (pools, gyms, etc and descent roads with lighter traffic), not that they were better that Minneapolis, which along with Madison usually rank in the top 10 for healthiest cities and for those with active lifestyles. As for living there, that's different. For housing in the better suburbs in Des Moines it's just one overprices, slapped up new construction McMansion 10' away from the next. Blah.. shoot me now. at least Minneapolis has a good stock of historic well built homes... along with ugly lifeless cookie cutters... if you into that sort of thing.

I live in SE Iowa. I only visit these places and go off of what I've heard form other triathletes and my limited experiences. So take it with a grain of salt. Though I did live in the South suburbs of Chicago near Tinley Park for 3 years. I quit doing triathlons during that period in part because of how crappy and boring all the cycling routes were. I focused on riding sport bikes instead. West suburbs were guys like Starky and Scott Iott live are a lot better. But I'd rather live in a more rural smaller community than go back. I get to live in a small mansion overlooking the Mississippi River for the price of a small single family home 1/2 that size with the view of... well nothing... in the West Suburbs.

In general, in the Midwest, you usually can't go wrong living in a college town of a Div. 1 or large Div 2 school. You usually have all the facilities and resoruces you need.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
markharms234 wrote:
Does anyone know of a publicly-accessible, outdoor, 50m pool in the midwest? Indoor? I might put that at the top of my list. Madison doesn't really have either, and our 25y public pools have the typical sporadic schedule. (Though if you do find yourself in Verona, the Goodman pool is outdoor, in a beautiful setting, and in a great place for riding. [Note there are Goodman pools in both Madison and Verona.])

Iowa City and Columbia, MO both have indoor 50M pools as will all major Div 1 universities. I don't know the public hours however. It's probably still a little limited and could be a little expensive for non faculty or students. I grew up in Michigan and went to Michigan State. They had a 50M pool, but kept a bulk head in it so I think it was 25m plus a diving well. They had a 2nd indoor pool available plus a outdoor 50m pool so swim times were pretty flexible when I went there.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have a world class pool in the Natatorium in downtown Indy (indoor). There are a handful of outdoor 50m pools in Carmel and Noblesville.

Eagle Creek park is great for running trails and roads. We have nothing but flat country roads for good riding though. It's hard to find hills unless you head to southern Indiana.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
markharms234 wrote:

There are a couple in MSP. The City of St. Paul has one, the U of M has some public swim hours at the University indoor pool, and I think there are two YMCAs in town with outdoor 50m pools (need a Y membership for those.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
markharms234 wrote:
Does anyone know of a publicly-accessible, outdoor, 50m pool in the midwest?

here's the answer you are looking for

http://www.villageofhinsdale.org/pr/pool/

edit: i ride past it when i bike commute to work

Oh yeah!
Last edited by: duffman: Apr 23, 14 10:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
I did live in the South suburbs of Chicago near Tinley Park for 3 years. I quit doing triathlons during that period in part because of how crappy and boring all the cycling routes were.

the cycling here is so bad...it's just terrible. i can't believe how popular it is. between the weather, the traffic, lack of legitimate routes, potholes i just can't get excited about riding. i ended up riding my trainer sunday despite good weather when i couldn't get out early. there is no option if you're downtown other than north to highland park (which sucks alone after 9 am) and the lakefront (which sucks when it's cold). neither option is exactly great even then.

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I live in Evanston and I am already sick of the route down sheridan to Old Elm and loop through that area and I've only ridden it 4 times this year. I think this summer I will be driving to any of my long rides. Especially since I will be moving to North Ravenswood in June. Trainer all week and hopefully long weekend ride somewhere nice.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muncie, Indiana. Period.

104 miles of bike path second to NONE. ZERO cars except crossings
2 awesome bike shops
Super nice lake with plenty of OWS options
Summer; 50-m outdoor pool
Pre-set 2-13.1 run course at the lake
New bath house with NEW showers at the lake
6 Triathlons from May-Oct with Sprint/Oly/Half
Plenty of rest/hotels and a D1 school at Ball State.

<3.5 hours from the Chicago loop!

Any questions

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Midwest training [yimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yimmy wrote:
Door County, Wisconsin is great for training. You have very well maintained roads with little traffic, state parks for running, Lake Michigan for swimming, and a great setting for the family.

+1 for Door County. Annually, we take the family up there for a few days of get-away living, and I get to ride/run/swim in the mornings. Roads are great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
duffman wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
I did live in the South suburbs of Chicago near Tinley Park for 3 years. I quit doing triathlons during that period in part because of how crappy and boring all the cycling routes were.

the cycling here is so bad...it's just terrible. i can't believe how popular it is. between the weather, the traffic, lack of legitimate routes, potholes i just can't get excited about riding. i ended up riding my trainer sunday despite good weather when i couldn't get out early. there is no option if you're downtown other than north to highland park (which sucks alone after 9 am) and the lakefront (which sucks when it's cold). neither option is exactly great even then.

FWIM, I'm on my trainer weekday mornings 9 months out of the year anyway since it's too cold to make it worth the effort of venturing outdoors with a headlight. Finding a 70-100 minute block in the evenings before sunset isn't realistic with a family. So don't feel so bad.

Even then, my last outdoor ride, I hit a big f***** sharp rock and tore open a only1/3 used GP4000S. Grrr... That's the last time i train on descent tires on a afternoon when the roads fairly busy so I have to ride the shoulder. Better at 5-8AM.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, no love for Kentucky? I spent a couple days riding in Lexington a few years back and it was amazing. 60-70 degrees in February with beautiful roads, hills, and courteous drivers. I found a couple routes on mapmyride and added on where I felt like riding more.

Not sure about swimming, but it is a beautiful area and not expensive in terms of hotels etc. I just checked the drive- about 5.5-6 hrs from Chicago.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply

Prev Next