Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Middle ground wheelset
Quote | Reply
Hello, looking for a wheelset I can use for both training on the roads and racing (moslty duathlons). I would like a mix of semi aero and semi light. I don't need any extreme deep rim because I'll be on the street training and I also don't need the lightest/most expensive wheel as well.

Price range under $1000.

Will have to be clincher , 6 bolt, 10 speed compatable.

Also keep in mind I live in hilly ass Pittsburgh. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Middle ground wheelset [Lemon_grass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What frameset so you have?
Quote Reply
Re: Middle ground wheelset [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbon Specialized Ruby (women's version of the men's Roubaix).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it use rim brakes or disc brakes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is probably the best under $1K value going right now. These are not middle ground. They are one of the tops.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6389733#p6389733
Quote Reply
Re: Middle ground wheelset [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't believe I left that detail out-- disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lemon_grass wrote:
Hello, looking for a wheelset I can use for both training on the roads and racing (moslty duathlons). I would like a mix of semi aero and semi light. I don't need any extreme deep rim because I'll be on the street training and I also don't need the lightest/most expensive wheel as well.

Price range under $1000.

Will have to be clincher , 6 bolt, 10 speed compatable.

Also keep in mind I live in hilly ass Pittsburgh. Thanks.

Have you seen the deal on the HED JET 6+ going. Copied from the other thread I started a few week back:

CompetiveCyclist is doing their usual seasonal discounting of their HED JET 6+ wheelset. Currently at $949 today. Really can't beat that price for wheels that are available NOW, not 8-10 weeks.

Edit price has dropped even lower to $807.46 with Competitive Cyclist 15% off coupon CC15OFF100 - expires 8/22 if you want the Shimano/Sram version. Campy was even better but sold out now on 8/9 with 3 week. Price was $666.38. You can backorder but can't use the coupon with backorders.

I also wrote up some reason why I really like this wheelset in general against others including FLO and other full carbon clinchers: Those reasons can be found here.

I would be curious what you end up with in the end regardless. I know obviously the state of triathlon, abundance of wheel players, etc is really forcing something of this discounting. I just can't see how anyone goes with any other wheelset but if they do I want to know why.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://novemberbicycles.com/collections/disc-wheels/products/fsw3disc

You would need new rotors too for the switch to centrelock
Quote Reply
Re: Middle ground wheelset [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too bad those are for calipers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lemon_grass wrote:
Too bad those are for calipers.

Lol, I didn't even think about 6-bolt when you said it but I did just have a glass of wine which is on the rare side for me these day. I actually bought a new bruiser bike as I call it. First one with discs. I would like a little nicer wheelset than the stock cheapies, but I am guessing the disc version of the HED JET 6+ are quite a bit more.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep-- just checked the price and it is A LOT more, lol. Any other thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the all New Bontrager Aeolus they just announced a set of Carbon Wheels for $1200
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How delicate is the carbon fairing on these?
Quote Reply
Re: Middle ground wheelset [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have only seen one broken. You should be careful with it, but not like you can't grab a hold of it.

Wrench at the shop has broken a couple., I got hit by a truck and it creased the rim, but the fairing survived.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Middle ground wheelset [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
How delicate is the carbon fairing on these?

Put them on an AMEX and you will get double the warranty if there is any concern. I haven't had any problems and I believe Tom A has been riding these as his training wheelset too without issues. I had a buddy he hit the mother of all potholes, rim was significantly bent, tires blews and he went down hard at a real 28mph and the fairing was fine, even with the very bent rim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, that is what I was looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is the flex on the hed wheels? I'm 180-185 lbs would use both on ride and tri bike. I can be hard on wheels. Any issues with brake rub
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
with people. Stallion build is double the price basically
Quote Reply
Re: Middle ground wheelset [transgress4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
transgress4 wrote:
How is the flex on the hed wheels? I'm 180-185 lbs would use both on ride and tri bike. I can be hard on wheels. Any issues with brake rub
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
with people. Stallion build is double the price basically

Brake rub isn't an issue for myself. The only time I have brake rub is on my tri bike wheels like the solid Zipp Super 9 disc. Part of the reason I went to a spoked HED JET+ Disc. I am more like 155lbs though. Yes only the regular version has the great deal pricing. No deal to be had on the Stallion, Disc version etc :(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the men's version of your bike. What is wrong with the DT Swiss R470's that came on your bike? I use mine for crit racing with the wheels set up for tubeless and they do very nicely. That bike is not exactly aero or light to start with so changing wheels seems a waste of money to me.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Middle ground wheelset [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you're assuming we have the same wheelset which we don't. I have the Axis 2.0's which I am not a fan of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Profile Design's for sure. Use the tri sports discount and buy 'em there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife has the same bike and has Roval CL 40 Discs on it. She loves the wheels and would recommend them. Price is a bit above where you want to be but might find some used ones. Previously had FFWD 60s which were just a bit too deep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My training rims are a pair of Jet 4+ cosmetic seconds I scored off of HED's unofficial official eBay for ~$450. They're holding up just fine. They're basically box section rims with internal nipples so they should be pretty robust.
Quote Reply
Re: Middle ground wheelset [TOTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like she had to switch from 6 bolt to centerlock , correct?

Also, looks like that is the only wheelset besides the cheap Axis that supports the super annoying SCS 130mm.

Might be better off switching the derailleur hangers and going with the 135mm so I can use standard wheelsets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes they are centerlock. Have not had any issues with putting other wheels on the bike. The bike is a 2015 so not sure if that is the difference.
Quote Reply

Prev Next