Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Michelin Power Competition
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any information on Michelin's new tire line? Not much offered for details and most sites are just regurgitating the canned press release with goofy info on 40k TT time savings.

http://www.bikerumor.com/...ichelin/#more-119478
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed that goofy timing too - how on earth can you be 1min25sec faster over 40km at a fixed speed of 35km/h ? Do they warp spacetime ?
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition [doug_steel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug_steel wrote:
I noticed that goofy timing too - how on earth can you be 1min25sec faster over 40km at a fixed speed of 35km/h ? Do they warp spacetime ?

That gives me a lot of confidence in their tires and their test protocol. Come on Michelin get your act together.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Michelin is boldly marketing 4 new tires they developed that are said to increase power output across the range.

Really!

Snark aside, It's really good to see tire manufactures start to care about this stuff. "How much power does this tire take to spin?" "CRR?" "How aero is this tire going to be?" Important questions, neglected for far too long IMO.
Last edited by: nickwhite: Jan 20, 16 6:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
or....

They tested and empirically verified Crr at varrying speeds and the delta between the baseline and their new tire at 35kph when extrapolated to 40km is 1:25. But you're right, probably spacetime - better to slander than realize it's just another case of data massaged by Marketing/Legal. Same thing any wheel/frame/accessory manufacturer does with test data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doug_steel wrote:

Ha Ha =)

I was kind a intressted when i saw the tire, certenly a good tire but I dont know their numbers seems fabricaded.. Any way what do you STers race on, same tire as last season? I have always been on Conti 4000s thinking aboat trying something else but does it really matter what tire your on as long its the brands "top model"?

Yet another slowtwitcher..
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like they did a "Tom A." analysis on Crr and aero, probably at distributed and weighted yaw angles. Who knows if it was scientifically valid like Tom's.

That said, a 10 watt savings puts the new tire at 19 watts per pair, if comparing to the crap Pro 4 Comp at 29 watts per pair. 19 watts would be the fastest tire on the market, even faster than Gerlach's extremely worn Conti SS 23mm. If Michelin has some other better tire that Tom hasn't tested, that would put the new one WAAAAAY in front of any other tire... Zipp's 27mm tubular, Turbo Cottons, etc.

so, questionable.

Edit: I see now they have a Pro 4 Service Course, so that in my mind makes this VERY sketchy

Edit 2: BicycleRollingResistance has the Pro 4 SC 10 watts slower than a pair of GP4000s which doesn't track with Tom A's or RRuff's assessment of the GP4000s. If they're right however, this still puts the new Michelin tire 5 watts slower than a pair of Turbo Cottons or GP SS 23mm.

nickwhite wrote:
Quote:
Michelin is boldly marketing 4 new tires they developed that are said to increase power output across the range.

Really!

Snark aside, It's really good to see tire manufactures start to care about this stuff. "How much power does this tire take to spin?" "CRR?" "How aero is this tire going to be?" Important questions, neglected for far too long IMO.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericM40-44: Jan 20, 16 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
That said, a 10 watt savings puts the new tire at 19 watts per pair,

Unless they meant 10W per pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about 10 watts per pair to put them basically dead even with the fastest tires? Makes more sense maybe.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doug_steel wrote:

They tested at 35km/hr with the old tires. Then at 35km/hr with the new tires. There was a, say, 20W, difference. That 20W could allow you to go 1:25 faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
sounds like they did a "Tom A." analysis on Crr and aero, probably at distributed and weighted yaw angles. Who knows if it was scientifically valid like Tom's

nickwhite wrote:
Quote:

Really!

I didn't see anything about Michelin investigating the aerodynamics of their new tire which is why, frankly, I'm completely uninterested.
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
How about 10 watts per pair to put them basically dead even with the fastest tires? Makes more sense maybe.

Yeah, that's most likely. They've just joined the GP4000S/S-Works Turbo Pro party.
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was implicit in my post

trail wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:
That said, a 10 watt savings puts the new tire at 19 watts per pair,

Unless they meant 10W per pair.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:

I couldn't make any sense of your post. :) But train-of-consciousness is cool too.
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have written: 10 watt savings *per pair* for the new Michelin tire compared to the Pro 4 Comp *as tested by Tom A. (which was 29 watts per pair)* would put it at the top of the charts, *if their testing methods are anything like Tom's*

that said, according to Lennard Zinn, a lab in Finland has one Pro 4 SC tire 17 watts slower than a Turbo Cotton (which is the top of everybody's charts).

But he also has the GP4000s II only 2.7 watts slower per tire than the Turbo Cotton, whereas Tom has found them to be 5 watts slower, so what do I know.

trail wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:

I couldn't make any sense of your post. :) But train-of-consciousness is cool too.

Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:

Agreed. This is good news for the end user, no matter how these tires test out against the proven top performers.
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it seems to be a pretty stout tire Crr wise. #3 on the chart for BRR testing for the 25c size, behind the GP TT 25c and Specialized Turbo Cotton 24c.
http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...wer-competition-2016

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
540 TPI?! When will it stop?
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rolls very well for a tire with reasonable puncture protection.
poor sidewall protection but i guess that's how it retains the suppleness to roll well. i tend to find its the tread thats a concern for punctures - anything big enough to attack your sidewall you can generally spot and avoid or its nasty enough that nothing fast will survive.

now we need an aero test - its only 1 watt faster than the gp4000 so it needs to be aero to become the new standard for fast but reliable
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well to be fair, I don't think continental originally set out to make an aero tire when developing the gp4000s. It seems like it more kind of happened, and I'm no sure how much they are doing now because if they knew exactly what it was that made the 4000s more aero they would probably more uniformly apply that criteria but as we see from Flo, their tires aren't super consistent in aerodynamics.

i guess what I'm saying is, I'm worried less about whether they considered it and more about whether it's aero. Because the pro 4 wasn't great but it was competitive up to 10 degrees of yaw in the flo test http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...-tunnel-results.html
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was an accident but what they did was pretty clear in retrospect: they applied a tread to the tire that acted to trip the boundary layer and because of how they placed additional tread they built a "tall" tire. That last part works against CRR. Schwalbe investigated the former when they built their Ironman tire line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a few photos of the tire and a weight comparison to the Pro 4 Competition tire:

Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Power Competition [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seeing they measure out close to 25mm and that the sidewalls look pretty straight, can I assume that's a HED + rim? Thanks for sharing btw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Seeing they measure out close to 25mm and that the sidewalls look pretty straight, can I assume that's a HED + rim? Thanks for sharing btw.

That is a HED 60 rim but not the plus model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
latest update on that _other_ site:

http://www.bikerumor.com/...n-power-to-the-test/

"...I try not to ever ride as slow as 20mph. ;) ... And even more than that, I don't race with a speedometer. My computer is set up to show Power // Cadence // Time. I don't actually ever know how fast I'm going. I only know that if I'm in 53/11, and it takes more than 100rpm to hit my target watts, it's time to coast." - Jordan Rapp on '09 IMC
Quote Reply

Prev Next