Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Medium run at easy/moderate pace but high HR. Thoughts?
Quote | Reply
Ok so today i went for a medium length run at a pretty easy and moderate pace. That being said i have recently been training by just feel alone seeing as im early in my training block for upcoming 70.3 in March. It felt very easy and could of maintained it for quite a period of time. It was my usual easy pace of 8:00 per mile. I got a new HR strap since my last one died and figured to use it today as well but when doing so my average for the run was 150 which is zone 4.0 for me and equated to 8:30 per mile pace. I just figured to run slower since was at a relatively high HR zone. Here is my question, should i slow down even more so i drop closer to zone 2 or just stick with my usual pacing and see the same times and my heart rate gradually get lower each run?

Here is a little background on myself:

I am a tennis professional and would say i have a relatively high level of fitness and maintain it throughout the year. Last year i was able to compete in two races an olympic and a 70.3 here are my results and splits:

Olympic: swim 26:54--1:47/100m
bike 1:07--21.67 mph avg
run 38:13--6:49 per mile avg
70.3: swim 31:00--1:36/100m
bike 2:31:06--22.3 mph avg
run 1:31:11--6:57 per mile avg

I now am transitioning into the tennis teaching avenue instead of traveling across the country and internationally for that matter playing. This will enable me to have a much more set schedule and more time available to train. I am trying to qualify first for ironman 70.3 championships and then step up to ironman full distance and then KQ. Any advise on what i said training wise based on feel/HR or anything else for that matter would be greatly appreciated thanks so much!!
Quote Reply
Re: Medium run at easy/moderate pace but high HR. Thoughts? [Trevrankow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I understand, you're saying that your HR was unusually higher than before on a slow run? I'm just curious... what was the previous HR strap and what is the new one? New one wouldn't happen to be a Mio Link?
Quote Reply
Re: Medium run at easy/moderate pace but high HR. Thoughts? [Trevrankow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my recommendation to you is to keep doing your training with RPE ''feel'' as you been doing. you seems to be a very good runner from your race times.

as long as you consistency dost suffer and you feel good overall, i would not be worrie about your hr data at this point. If it feel comfortable/easy, then it is.....

i personally prefer to have my athlete learn about feel/pace and take a step back from hr data that fluctuate a lot from day to day

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Medium run at easy/moderate pace but high HR. Thoughts? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I am saying my HR now is much higher than what it used to be in the past and last time I recorded it via a HR monitor. No the old HR monitor was the standard strap that came with my Garmin 910 xt then it stopped working and died. So I just picked up garmins new premium 3 HR monitor grey and black. Works fine.

As for training on RPE I think that is exactly what I am going to do. That being said how long do you think I should stick and train with a comfortable/easy RPE before transitioning into more tempo or throwing in some steady state efforts? Stick with easy all throughout my base 1-3 phases then add them in build or sooner?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to stick to easy running for base training is a false concept and not the best way to improve. That said, the problem come from people going overboard with intensity and not doing a good safe progression.

What about starting with 1 session with 20min of steady state. Repeat for a couple weeks to see if the body adapt well to it, then you can continue the progression. after 6-8 weeks of consistant progression and no issue, you can add perhaps one short interval session. the goal is to go gradual and let the body adpat properly to the next stress.

Also,. remember that if you start to add either steady state or interval session, it will be normal for some of your easy runs to be slower for a same RPE.... this will be the result of having to recovery from that new stress.

so right now, if your 6/10 effort is a 8min miles.... dont be alarm if a 6/10 effort results in 8:15/30 the day after a interval session. that is normal.

using tempo and intervals in moderation is a excellent tool even in fall/winter.... it s a good time to make good gain and become a faster runner.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Medium run at easy/moderate pace but high HR. Thoughts? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok great funny that you say that as a recommendation because it is almost exactly what's have as a basis for my weekly run schedule. Here is what my skeleton looks like and the. As you said plan on adding an interval session in a month or two. Here is run Skelton:
Monday-- easy/moderate run 5 miles
Tuesday-- long run 10 miles
Wednesday--off
Thursday-- easy run 4 miles
Friday-- moderate run 6 miles with middle 2 miles steady state
Saturday-- easy/moderate run 5 miles

Then as you said gradually build and add weekly mileage from there and then in a month or two add intervals to the mix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you might want to retest your HR zones if it has been a while. if today was just an unusual day the higher HR could be from some residual fatigue from either training or lack of sleep. i know my HR will also be higher yet feel easy if i'm a little dehydrated too.

if you want to train by HR you need to adjust pace to be in the correct zone. if you want to train RPE like it seems, then just use it as a guideline i guess and don't worry too much about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Medium run at easy/moderate pace but high HR. Thoughts? [Clempson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for that advice! I actually was just reading up on that as a matter of fact and I did just that. My heart rate average as I said was 150 and that was in zone 4.0 now that i just got back from testing them and adjusting my zones it actually was just creeping into zone 3.0 so my zones we're definitely off no doubt.
Quote Reply