Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Mauna Kea ride report. 2/12/2016
Quote | Reply
I remember seeing on Strava that Justin Rossi rode up Mauna Kea last winter and took the KOM. Not a big surprise as he’s super strong. At the time though I didn’t know just how hard this climb was. Justin and an astronomer friend who has worked up on Mauna Kea filled me in on just how hard the gravel stretch was. Besides that the paved sections once you get to the mountain proper are pretty brutal in their own right.

When my wife and I started planning a Kona cycling vacation with some friends last summer I knew that I would have to take a crack at it. I quickly gathered that my normal 52x36 and 11x28 would not cut it. I hoped that by going with a 34 tooth small ring and an 11x32 cassette I’d be able to ride more of the gravel section. Hahahahahaha!

I came to Kona expecting to do this alone. I brought a camel back and all the warm clothes I’d need for the descent along with some chemical heat packs for my hands and feet. Watching the weather I decided that Friday the 12th was the day. As it turns out though our whole group worked together on the logistics. Steve and I drove to Hilo, parked the car and stashed the keys. Harlan, Liz, Kitty and Jody drove to the junction of Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa on the saddle road and Liz, Kitty and Jody rode up Mauna Loa and then back down to Hilo to pick up the car. Rob was going to ride from our rental house in Kona to Mauna Loa and back but was thwarted by a brush fire that closed his route. Harlan after dropping our wives off met Steve and I at the junction to drive support. He felt like he needed a rest day and I will be forever grateful for his help. BTW, Steve’s plan was to ride to the Visitor’s Center at 9,000’ and then back to Kona. He couldn’t help himself though and descended from our house (at close to 1,000’ elevation) down to the Kona pier for a “coast to coast” ride. He was sad though to find out that everybody was still on the other side of the island when he got down there and had to climb back up instead of hitching a ride. :-)

I came here wanting to take the KOM, but frankly wasn’t even 100% sure that I’d make it to the top with the gravel. After a fair amount of poring through Strava files and segment data I decided to try and ride to the top of the saddle road shooting to average between 280 and 290 watts. I use Strava live segments on my Garmin 520, but decided not to look at whether I was ahead or behind until I got onto the saddle road proper a bit over 25 minutes in. When I looked we were about 2.5’ ahead of KOM pace, but then my Garmin went stupid and said that I was off course and would have to rely on a few splits that I remembered. It’s a long way to the top of the saddle road and I was feeling the effect of my efforts as we approached the two hour mark nearing the junction. Nonetheless I was able to take this selfie on the fly of Steve and I on a flatter section up at around 6,000’. (BTW, did I mention the nice tailwind we had?)

Shortly after this picture was taken Steve flatted and being the good friend that I am, left him to fix it himself. :-) Seriously though, he told me to go on and I did.

I got to the junction of Mauna Kea in around 2:04:30 and was still ahead of schedule but definitely starting to feel the efforts. Motoring along on a steady 5% grade is something I like and am fairly good at, but the serious shit was about to start and I went into “don’t push it mode”. When I turned right towards the mountain I could feel that tailwind I’d had as a cross wind and knew that I’d pay for that later on some of the long switchbacks that point towards Hilo. Luckily though it was a fairly light wind and didn’t cause too much grief.

I remembered that there is a segment on Strava called “Steepest Mile of Mauna Kea” heading up to the Visitor’s Center. It starts at 8,000’ and averages 13% with sections at 18%. It was unpleasant, but I made good use of my 34x32 and made it through. The road turns to gravel right after the Visitor Center.

http://www.strava.com/segments/6244902

This is where I hoped that my 34x32 would really help me and allow me to stay in the saddle to keep traction on the dirt to minimize or even maybe avoid having to walk. HA! I made it less than 50 yards before my front tire sunk in and ground me to a halt. Not a good start at all. I remounted quickly and keyed in on looking for the solid portions that you could see and avoid what was obviously just packed gravel. If it was just a dirt road, it would be hard, but probably 100% rideable with my gearing.

Long story short, the gravel stretch took me 1:11:33 to ride 7.4 km, for a blistering average speed of 6.3kph. I dug into my ride file and counted a total of 35:10 where I was not pedaling. I’m stubborn though and just kept moving knowing that many others had done the same. The only time I stopped moving was when my phone for some reason started playing from my Amazon Prime music app while I was walking. I stopped, dealt with that and decided to take a quick potty break. I didn’t need to, but at that point I figured that the KOM was gone so…

This pretty much sums up the gravel stretch.
https://www.instagram.com/...ken-by=kevinmetcalfe

Thankfully the gravel finally ended. But at that point you’re at 11,400’ and there are some very unpleasant stretches before the top! At this point I was almost exclusively in the 34x32 and due to the steepness and the altitude I was “doing the paper boy” most of the way, weaving back and forth across the road to minimize the grade. Even doing the paper boy though I made up a ton of time on that stretch and only missed the segment KOM by 29 seconds. I know that Justin Rossi had a 39x32 when he did it and I’m pretty sure I would not have made it to the top in that gear.

This chart is interesting and pretty much sums up my experience.
http://www.joefrielsblog.com/...bic-performance.html

At that point I was trying to do the math in my head. At 4 km to go I was averaging around 6 kph (SIX!!) which means 10’ per km, so 40 minutes to the top more or less. I had a shot. I’d like to say I made a heroic effort and dug deep, but the reality is that I just slogged along as well as I could. When I finished I thought I had missed the KOM by 20-30 seconds and was regretting the pee stop. Thankfully Strava is better at math than I am and I got the KOM by 38 seconds.

I think I got really lucky with the weather. Not only did I have favorable and light winds, but it was fairly pleasant up top. I was quite comfortable in shorts and short sleeves all the way up. After pictures and a bit of sight seeing I bundled up and descended down to the start of the gravel where Harlan picked me up and we drove back to Kona. I rode just a tiny bit of the gravel descent to see how it would be if I did the ride unsupported. My conclusion is that it would probably take almost as long to descend the gravel as it did to climb.

Here is a link to the pictures I took.
https://goo.gl/...os/AxxdB3pMjJnqrWq99

Strava link: https://www.strava.com/activities/492107505

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Last edited by: nslckevin: Feb 13, 16 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: Mauna Kea ride report. 2/12/2016 [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome report!!

I'm planning on doing this in October. I'm just debating between my road bike with 28mm tires 50/34 or my cross bike with clement 35mm ush tires and 50/34 11-32 setup. The cross bike is only about 1 pound heavier than road bike, I will pump tires to max psi then deflate to 40-45 psi right before gravel. Which option would you advise?

I might even consider switching to mountain bike at visitor station for the remainder up. Probably just rent a light hardtail for the day.

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done!

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply
Re: Mauna Kea ride report. 2/12/2016 [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dopers.Suck wrote:
Awesome report!!

I'm planning on doing this in October. I'm just debating between my road bike with 28mm tires 50/34 or my cross bike with clement 35mm ush tires and 50/34 11-32 setup. The cross bike is only about 1 pound heavier than road bike, I will pump tires to max psi then deflate to 40-45 psi right before gravel. Which option would you advise?

I might even consider switching to mountain bike at visitor station for the remainder up. Probably just rent a light hardtail for the day.

I used 25mm tires and would think that 28's won't make any appreciable difference. The 35mm 'cross tires might do the trick though.

It's freaking steep for the altitude after the gravel though. I was in the 34x32 almost exclusively after the gravel and did the paper boy a lot. Ave power to do the paperboy in that section was 230 watts which equates to about 310 at sea level. That was not pushing it, that was just getting through it. Just FYI. It's gnarly up there so come prepared and it will be a lot more fun.

It's pretty damn cool up there though! Enjoy it when you go.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, thanks for the advice!

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the report Kevin. Great ride!

I'm sitting on the plane getting ready to head to BI. Can't wait:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if that avg. power was sea level for that length of time, it would be impressive. The fact that a lot of that wattage was at so high an altitude makes it amazing. Thanks for sharing that ride report.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to tell you I really enjoyed reading your report. Congrats on the KOM! Turn off the "uh-oh" emails and enjoy it forever!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on making it to the the top. Most of the report focused on the Strava race (congrats on that), but when you have a chance, perhaps you can also share a bit about the natural environment. How cold did it get during the climb and how cold was it coming down. Also what was the gravel like on the steep descent. I did a recce ride+run where I rode up to the visitor center from saddle road and then I ran up to 11,000 ft on the gravel and back down to the visitor center. The plan at some point is to swim in Kailua bay, ride 100K + 9000 ft to visitor center and run the final 4700 ft to the summit (plan to get a lift down). I think I would need a full day starting at 6 am to do all that.

Also the day I ran the gravel one of those graters had been by so the gravel/lava dust was really soft. A conventional road wheel even with 28mm would have instantly sunk in.

These are from the steepest mile on the pavement from 8000-9000 ft...you can see the Pacific Ocean near Hilo under the clouds while we are above he humidity layer on top. Timothy Carlson drove out with us and was doing some photography.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressive, I've been on the mountain once. In a car and thought it would be just crazy to bike from the Saddle Road to the visitors center. Pretty sure I'd have to do a lot of walking.
Quote Reply
Re: Mauna Kea ride report. 2/12/2016 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The weather has been perfect. I brought arm warmers, vest, jacket, knee warmers, heavy gloves, shoe covers, cycling cap, skull cap and chemical warmers for me feet and hands so that I'd be ready for whatever the conditions gave me. On the way up I was very comfortable in just shorts and a short sleeve jersey with a sleeveless base layer. Even at the top I was comfortable standing around like that before I dressed for the descent. To descend I put on arm warmers, vest, jacket, cycling cap, knee warmers and warm gloves. I only descended down to the top of the gravel. It was fairly cold descending, but I was dressed well enough for it.

I had planned/assumed that I'd be doing it on my own and one of my bigger concerns was descending the gravel stretch. I went down just a bit of it. Like 50 yards. I think it would be doable on my road bike, but very slowly and possibly even some walking on the steeper bits.

As it was I hopped in the car with Harlan and we drove back to Kona.

We rode up Mauna Loa yesterday (Sunday). This time from the Waimea side starting at about 2,000'. While waiting for my friends I was very comfortable sitting around at 11,000' in just shorts and jersey. For the descent I was happy with just a cycling cap, arm warmers and a wind jacket. Mauna Loa is a really fun descent, but for the love of all things holy don't screw up and go off road. Nothing but rough lava to break your fall...

The NINE THOUSAND FOOT DESCENT (!!!) was pretty cool to say the least.

BTW, I like your plan for the swim, bike, run to the top. I did similar. I rode, walked (a lot) and then lounged in the hot tub and pool when I got back. :-) Yours sounds much harder.

Kevin

My Strava
Last edited by: nslckevin: Feb 15, 16 8:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I clicked on your Strava profile and it looks like you had one hell of a week. Please feel free to share more details about the trip when you have some spare time (bike transport, lodging, etc...) It looks like a really great time and some of us living in the mid west would enjoy living vicariously through you.

For a vacation that is some serious time in the saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
The weather has been perfect. I brought arm warmers, vest, jacket, knee warmers, heavy gloves, shoe covers, cycling cap, skull cap and chemical warmers for me feet and hands so that I'd be ready for whatever the conditions gave me. On the way up I was very comfortable in just shorts and a short sleeve jersey with a sleeveless base layer. Even at the top I was comfortable standing around like that before I dressed for the descent. To descend I put on arm warmers, vest, jacket, cycling cap, knee warmers and warm gloves. I only descended down to the top of the gravel. It was fairly cold descending, but I was dressed well enough for it.

I had planned/assumed that I'd be doing it on my own and one of my bigger concerns was descending the gravel stretch. I went down just a bit of it. Like 50 yards. I think it would be doable on my road bike, but very slowly and possibly even some walking on the steeper bits.

As it was I hopped in the car with Harlan and we drove back to Kona.

We rode up Mauna Loa yesterday (Sunday). This time from the Waimea side starting at about 2,000'. While waiting for my friends I was very comfortable sitting around at 11,000' in just shorts and jersey. For the descent I was happy with just a cycling cap, arm warmers and a wind jacket. Mauna Loa is a really fun descent, but for the love of all things holy don't screw up and go off road. Nothing but rough lava to break your fall...

The NINE THOUSAND FOOT DESCENT (!!!) was pretty cool to say the least.

BTW, I like your plan for the swim, bike, run to the top. I did similar. I rode, walked (a lot) and then lounged in the hot tub and pool when I got back. :-) Yours sounds much harder.

On my recce day, after I ran back to visitor station, I got a lift down to Saddle road and then I rode back to Kona (yes, lots of downhill) via Hawaii Belt Road that turns into Palani for the final 2000 ft free fall to Kailua Pier. Then I swam for 30 minutes in the bay and just as I was swimming back to the King Kam hotel got stung by jelly fish. This was in 2012 when I went to Kona to volunteer and all this was the day before the big day. In any case, I wanted to ride back to Kona to get a feel for what the road was like to get a full recce. When I give them a go, the idea would be to have someone in the car meet me at the bottom of saddle road, at the visitor center and the summit and get a lift home from the summit. I guess you could run down from summit back to visitor center but that would kill the quads with 4700 ft of downhill. On the day I ran up and down the gravel, 2000 ft of gravel/lava dust was basically enough.

Thanks for sharing the details. Mauna Loa had not been repaved when I was out there. It was still the old washboard road! I Kona qualified in 2013 and wanted to get some guys to ride Kona to the Visitor center on race week, but I could not get any takers because they were all "tapering" for this race (like who cares if you are going to finish 40th or 80th in your age group). I ended up riding with one of the guys up Kaloko on Wed of race week (5000 ft climb straight up Palani/Hawaii Belt road to the 2000 ft point, right turn onto Kaloko then 3000 ft to top)....we still had a full 72 hour to rest after that and I did my Kona PB bike split and had a solid day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome. thanks for the write up!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more thing. I found when switched from bike to run a the visitor center, that running was easier than biking. I feel there are several reasons for this:

1. On the bike I was locked into the 34x32 gear. I could not go lower. On the run, I can choose "whatever gearing I want with small enough steps"
  2. ~ 20 less pounds to carry uphill between bike + shoes + helmet.
  3. Just changing up the muscles, although running on a 15% grade is not really that much different than biking standing up out of the saddle, but still different

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, I had no idea how bad the gravel section was a the top.

I think I'll stick to Haleakala.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wheels in my head are already turning. Hoka "bike shoes" and platforms. Run the gravel section. I'm certain someone here can out run Kevin in the gravel section :)

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Mauna Kea ride report. 2/12/2016 [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
The wheels in my head are already turning. Hoka "bike shoes" and platforms. Run the gravel section. I'm certain someone here can out run Kevin in the gravel section :)

I am certain that all of us would out run ourselves on the bike. Once it gets up to 15% in that thin air, ditching 20 lbs of weight and getting "infinite" gearing that running offers, is likely going to be close to if not faster...at least certainly on the Mauna Kea gravel/lava dust. I have not been on the top paved road to know if it is steep enough for running to be faster, but I suspect they are close....and I use running in the most generous of ways. Keep in mind that hiking at 3.5 mph is likely just as faster than trying to run at 3.6 mph for way less expenditure...you end up stopping less often and just keep hiking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I look at this part of your report:

Long story short, the gravel stretch took me 1:11:33 to ride 7.4 km, for a blistering average speed of 6.3kph. I dug into my ride file and counted a total of 35:10 where I was not pedaling. I’m stubborn though and just kept moving knowing that many others had done the same. The only time I stopped moving was when my phone for some reason started playing from my Amazon Prime music app while I was walking. I stopped, dealt with that and decided to take a quick potty break. I didn’t need to, but at that point I figured that the KOM was gone so…

If you hike/jog at 6-8 kph/ 10-7.5 min per K I think it is just as fast, especially if you get a lift off the top of the mountain!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Thanks for sharing the details. Mauna Loa had not been repaved when I was out there. It was still the old washboard road! I Kona qualified in 2013 and wanted to get some guys to ride Kona to the Visitor center on race week, but I could not get any takers because they were all "tapering" for this race (like who cares if you are going to finish 40th or 80th in your age group). I ended up riding with one of the guys up Kaloko on Wed of race week (5000 ft climb straight up Palani/Hawaii Belt road to the 2000 ft point, right turn onto Kaloko then 3000 ft to top)....we still had a full 72 hour to rest after that and I did my Kona PB bike split and had a solid day.

Kaloko is kind of a fucker isn't it? I'd rank it up there with the Mortirolo, if not slightly harder as it doesn' t let up at the end.

I'm using a prototype Fly12 front camera (1080p, 45 ftp and up to 10 hour battery life). I put together a youtube video that is probably on the long and boring side, but nonetheless, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNUHCGukYoY

I've got some pretty good footage from the descent of Mauna Loa that I'll post when I can. That is a pretty cool descent, just don't screw up or you're going to get hurt bad. You'll understand when you see the video.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is actually a little more climbing on Kaloko if you take the last road on the left before the end of the main road. The local hillclimb race ends on his side street!

The Muana Loa ride landscape is unreal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Kaloko is kind of a fucker isn't it? I'd rank it up there with the Mortirolo, if not slightly harder as it doesn' t let up at the end.

I'm using a prototype Fly12 front camera (1080p, 45 ftp and up to 10 hour battery life). I put together a youtube video that is probably on the long and boring side, but nonetheless, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNUHCGukYoY

I've got some pretty good footage from the descent of Mauna Loa that I'll post when I can. That is a pretty cool descent, just don't screw up or you're going to get hurt bad. You'll understand when you see the video.

I will check on the video shortly.

I went to Bormio last year 3 days before the 70.3 WC. I only had 2 days to ride, so my cyclist friends suggest to do Gavia and Stelvio and skip Mortirolo mainly because there is not much scenery in that you are inside the trees and the climb is a back breaker so i never got to do Mortirolo. As a point of reference related to altitude and power, I did Stelvio (South Side) planning to do it at half IM "race pace" which for me is 215-220W. This seemed easy enough leaving Bormio and up to 7000 ft, but in between 7000-9000 ft 220W became insanely tough. I hung on to that wattage to the top (it took me 1:40 at that pace), but at 9000 ft it felt like 120% FTP effort. This was a really good altitude test and it really allowed me to set my mental "strain gauge" when I did IM Tahoe 3 weeks later. Doing these climbs a 2 and 3 days before 70.3 World's probably did not help my run, but at the end I don't think it made more than 10-15 places of difference and I got to do both.

In terms of Kaloko, I found it easier than Mauna Kea access road. I have done it 3x now. I found the Mauna Kea access road more "relentless" in terms of steepness, although I think Kaloko is actually steeper in many spots. I think Mauna Kea access road between 6000-9000 ft you really get hammered by elevation (I live at sea level, but I have a genetically high 49 percent Hematocrit but was maxed out on pace....my 74 year old mom is around 45). I was trying to keep the pace "conversational" riding with Salt Stick guy Jonathan Toker who was definitely conversational, I was alternately sucking wind and trying to respond to him.

I am thinking about going to Kona this October again to volunteer and do some riding. I have some physical limitations from a 2011 crash so I currently cannot run, so don't know if a hike/shuffle to the summit is in the cards but perhaps by Oct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is pretty funny. There is a segment on Strava almost at the top called "test 2". It's only .2km long, but it's 12%. I looked at it to see my cadence at that grade, but what was funny is that you can see me doing the paper boy in the GPS track.

https://www.strava.com/activities/492107505/segments/11810872414

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Love reading stories like this. Good work!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI - I was on a Mauna Kea tour yesterday (Oct 10, 2017) and our bus passed a hand cyclist on the gravel section past the Visitor's Center attempting the ascent of Mauna Kea. On our return trip back from the peak, we passed him again quite close to the top so I am guessing he made it shortly thereafter sometime around 8pm.

Total darkness with a vehicle behind providing support and a person walking beside the hand cyclist. I have no idea where he started from but I witnessed him on the toughest parts of the ascent and kudos!

That is one BAMF!
Last edited by: Overdistance: Oct 11, 17 14:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next