Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Matt Fitzgerald Chicago Marathon
Quote | Reply

Matt Fitzgerald (prolific endurance sports/running book author) just ran a fresh marathon PR of 2:39 at Chicago at age 46, with his prior PR coming in 2008. I'd imagine given his career/background, he probably worked very hard for that original marathon PR. He moved to Arizona and trained with an elite running group for just four months for this marathon. I'd guess some sort of stunt for a new book. Nonetheless, I thought it was very interesting and worthy of some discussion. I would have thought a marathon PR was well out of his reach at his age, having apparently taken some time off competitive running. Makes me want to try for a new marathon PR!

A few details here, though the article is mostly just fluff . . .

http://www.mensjournal.com/...m-the-elites-w508346

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Fitzgerald Chicago Marathon [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. It definitely looks like he's at race weight from the picture. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Fitzgerald Chicago Marathon [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kula wrote:

Definitely. I don't know, but I assume he was that lean in mid-2000s when he was more actively racing. I'm just wondering what could allow him to make an improvement in his mid 40s after time away from seriously trying? The group environment maybe?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Kula wrote:

Definitely. I don't know, but I assume he was that lean in mid-2000s when he was more actively racing. I'm just wondering what could allow him to make an improvement in his mid 40s after time away from seriously trying? The group environment maybe?

Better understanding of training concepts, better application of those concepts.
Reduce external stress.

Just guessing. But a myriad of things could facilitate this. I'm guessing you're pretty young.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Fitzgerald Chicago Marathon [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
I'm guessing you're pretty young.

Why would you guess that? I'm 38. I plateaued at my own marathoning and eventually gave up. I'm interested to know how someone a fair bit older with probably more running background managed to restart the training process and improve from his prior best times.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure he is writing a book about his experience, and he was blogging abut his time in Arizona here: http://www.finalsurge.com/therunningbum
It was actually quite interesting to follow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
I'm guessing you're pretty young.

Why would you guess that? I'm 38. I plateaued at my own marathoning and eventually gave up. I'm interested to know how someone a fair bit older with probably more running background managed to restart the training process and improve from his prior best times.

I only said it because you sound slightly incredulous, so thought you might be young and think everything tails off as you get older.
I know lots of people who perform at a high level who maintain or improve standards well into middle age.
(I'd like to say the same for myself but although I'm still getting quicker at 40 I'm not sure 'fast' could ever be applied to my output :-) )
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Fitzgerald Chicago Marathon [sjn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjn wrote:
Pretty sure he is writing a book about his experience, and he was blogging abut his time in Arizona here: http://www.finalsurge.com/therunningbum
It was actually quite interesting to follow.

Nice link, thank you!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply