Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Masters Swimming...
Quote | Reply
Does anyone swim Masters in or around Philadelphia? I'm looking for a decent program since I don't think I can swim alone anymore without going crazy....

Anyone with experience with places like UMLY or Germantown or Valley Forge Masters programs? I think the only credible Masters program in Philly is an all-gay club....so let's keep that one off the list.

thanks a lot!
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimming... [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check USMS.org. Some that I know of are at Villanova University (Villanova), the Sporting Club at the Bellevue (Philadelphia), the Healthplex (Springfield) and Suburban Swim Club in Newtown Square.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimming... [here&anon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks anon, that's a great site! Shows how clueless I am..

Know anyone that swims at any of those?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror. The horror.

As to the question, I haven't swum with Germantown since 1986 so can't help you much. Shoulberg's a great coach though so if he is at all involved, it would be a very good program. As long as you like to swim lots of yards really fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim at the Healthplex. It's a smaller group with more personal coaching and workouts planned to suit your goals. Workouts are pretty infrequent, though - just once or twice a week. Villanova is, from what I've heard, much larger, very competitive and workouts are posted on a board. You choose a lane and swim - little personal interaction with the coach. Some local pros swim there. I know some people who swim at Suburban but I don't know much about the program, and I know nothing about the Sporting Club. I know a lot of people that mix and match several of the local programs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot guys, it's a big help. Looks like i'll give Villanova a shot.

CTL, as for Germantown--i'm not a 15 year-old girl, so Dick would not be involved...it's a woman named Laurie Hug?

I think she's an ex-something or other...pro Triathlete maybe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah Laurie Hug raced ITU. I happen to know because I cheered for her at St. Anthony's in 2004. Didn't know she retired...

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks a lot guys, it's a big help. Looks like i'll give Villanova a shot.

CTL, as for Germantown--i'm not a 15 year-old girl, so Dick would not be involved...it's a woman named Laurie Hug?

I think she's an ex-something or other...pro Triathlete maybe?
Pro triathlete. She raced locally in 2005 (I finally beat her again in September). Really fast swimmer; 2nd overall fastest swim split at this race http://www.lin-mark.com/SKYTRI1.txt.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Check USMS.org. Some that I know of are at Villanova University (Villanova), the Sporting Club at the Bellevue (Philadelphia), the Healthplex (Springfield) and Suburban Swim Club in Newtown Square.[/reply]

am I missing something on that website? I didn't see any of those places...

as for the gay club in philly, if you mean the 12th street gym, I used to belong there - it's really not that big of a deal. During a year of membership, I was only hit on once. (I was a bit wary when I started out, but by the end I couldn't decide if I was releived about not being hit on by other men, or insulted!)
FWIW, there were a lot more attractive women there than at the straight gym I now go to.

anyway, if you find something good, report back - I'm hoping on finding some masters swimming after the new year.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimming... [urbanrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna try Villanova, probably in the next couple of days, then report back.

As for the site, click on 'local places' then the Delaware Valley page, and you should be able to find the information on the local Philly clubs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I tried the Villanova practice....

It was basically 'here's the workout, pick a lane.' So you're paying someone to write you a workout and it's up to you to do it. If you don't know anyone (like me) or you swim at a different speed, then you're basically swimming alone. Which defeats the purpose.

I'll try the Germantown Academy practice with Karrie Hug and report back. You guys know anything about and UMLY Masters program? Where the hell is Dr. Ron Karnaugh when you need him?!?!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ok, I tried the Villanova practice....

It was basically 'here's the workout, pick a lane.' So you're paying someone to write you a workout and it's up to you to do it. If you don't know anyone (like me) or you swim at a different speed, then you're basically swimming alone. Which defeats the purpose.

I'll try the Germantown Academy practice with Karrie Hug and report back. You guys know anything about and UMLY Masters program? Where the hell is Dr. Ron Karnaugh when you need him?!?!?
The only time I swam at UMLY (many years ago), the water was about 90 degrees. The race director said we could deduct a couple of seconds per 100 from our times...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply