Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maryland vs. Louisville IM
Quote | Reply
Looking at a late season full IM. Anyone on here done any deep comparisons between Maryland and Louisville?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland vs. Louisville IM [Tri_JC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_JC wrote:
Looking at a late season full IM. Anyone on here done any deep comparisons between Maryland and Louisville?

Shallow comparison: Maryland bike is very, very flat. Louisville bike is very, very hilly.

Also, the run course at Louisville is better (both run courses are flat).
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland vs. Louisville IM [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maryland more of a home town feel, lots of loyalty and repeat customers as the race director is great.

Louisville big city feel, lots of hills.

Maryland is my choice, going back there for round 2 this year Plus Mike Reily will be there announcing

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland vs. Louisville IM [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I debated between those two races and went with Louisville. Everyone I talked to that had done Louisville, had great things to say. The same was not true for Maryland...by a long shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No deep comparison here but I like the Louisville race. I prefer the hillier bike in particular.

----
Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maryland has a very small town feel. There is great community support for the race, but the downside is that accommodations and logistics (especially after the race) can be a challenge. Both the bike and the run are very flat.

Louisville is definitely much bigger than Maryland. I'd never been to Louisville and enjoyed the city, the people, and the food. The bike is hilly, but it can still be a quick course. The run is basically two long out and backs, which I really liked. One thing I really didn't like about Louisville was the number of cars on the bike course. It's really bad on the 'loop' part of the course you do twice, there were a number of times I felt it was unsafe. I enjoyed everything about this race except the car issue, but that would likely stop me from doing it again.
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland vs. Louisville IM [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far it sounds like Louisville may be a better fit in terms of logistics. I've got a follow up now and I guess it's worth asking since the timing is within a couple weeks of Louisville: What about Chattanooga? How would you compare it with Louisville?
Last edited by: Tri_JC: Feb 16, 18 10:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_JC wrote:

Thanks in advance.

EVERYONE voted Maryland as the best race ever, not just because they need more people to attend.
http://www.ironman.com/media-library/images/galleries/non-event/2018/02/2017-athletes-choice-awards.aspx#axzz56tezlcod

* footnote... yeah, I'm making fun but I'm doing it again this year too... I want to swim in the choptank, not just run through it #2016IMMD

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_JC wrote:
So far it sounds like Louisville may be a better fit in terms of logistics. I've got a follow up now and I guess it's worth asking since the timing is within a couple weeks of Louisville: What about Chattanooga? How would you compare it with Louisville?

I'm going to be racing Chattanooga this year, and I'm really excited about it. It'll be my first time in Tennessee, I've heard it's a fast swim/bike, and then really tough run. The photos I've seen from the race look great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_JC wrote:

Having done Chatt, and ALMOST signed up for Lou (was going to last year, but my buddy backed out) I have studied both courses greatly. Lou swim is in pretty darn dirty water, but it's a river swim that you'll get some current help vs Chatt which is much cleaner, and down river the whole way. Bike, Lou is going to be tougher, relentless rollers. Chatt is a pretty easy bike course, nothing too challenging if you pace right, but it's 4 miles longer. Lou run is, as has been said, a two loop out and back and flat as a pancake, plus the finish line is in 4th st Live, which is kind of cool. Chatt run will ruin you if you are not prepared. Lots of hills on the back 1/2 of each lap, but the crowd support there is incredible.

Louisville has more hotel rooms downtown within easy walking distance to the center of the action, and they are a little cheaper. Chatt will probably be sold out of rooms downtown that are walkable (if not already), but there are plenty of places to stay, and race day logistics are not bad at all... PLENTY of parking downtown.

After all that, I'm going back to do Chatt again this year vs Lou. I just get more excited when I think about racing there again vs going to Lou for some reason. The town is awesome, and I've actually spent some significant time there since my first race because I have enjoyed it so much.
Quote Reply