Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon Recovery - Hurts
Quote | Reply
Ran a hard marathon 10 days ago. Recovery on my calves has been slow/painful. I have been running three times since the race. All in Zone 1 & 2 and not more than 45 mins. This morning I ran and the calf pain/soreness is still there...it comes on around mid-run and gets more intense and then afterwards it is a little hard to walk. It lingers for about half a day and then is gone by evening. I haven't had this before so long after a marathon. Is this normal? It doesn't feel like an injury...but feels like some pretty intense muscle soreness.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Recovery - Hurts [strongontherun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was the race course hillier than your typical training runs? I find if I do a hillier race (marathon or not), I'll feel it in my gastrocs or soleous afterwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get in the pool and do some deep water running. Try a massage and some stretching. The pool will help flush your legs and eliminate the pounding on your legs with running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 days seems a little long. I'm 3 days out from one and just now walking normal :)

I do like interferential current at this stage if you can get your hands on a machine, otherwise, heat up the muscle, nice gentle posterior stretches and tincture of time ...

Quote | Reply
I'd try doing something like light spinning or pool running as someone else suggested, it would still be an active recovery but would not continue to trash the legs as much as running would. I've found that hillier courses like Boston and Cape Cod beat my legs up more than a flat course like Disney, and doing very easy spinning helped me recover better. Getting a deep tissue massage should you help as well.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there something coming up for which you need to be recovered? Why not just take a week off or just do easy bike rides? Don't push too hard and get injured. Better to spend some extra time on ST.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interested to see replies. Just finihsed my first 26.2 on Sunday - still having trouble walking normally - forget running! Extra time on ST hasn't helped yet :-) I flirted with the ice bath idea, but decided against it - The idea of more pain that day just wasn't appealling! Taking some Ibu and stretching at my desk at work... No other input for now...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would say be careful in case its borderline injury. As a lot of others have suggested

- deep tissue massage to really work that area to get any kinks out
- foam roller or tennis ball to get kinks out yourself in addition to above
- recovery swim
- ice bath and / or apply ice calves
- walking or walk / run (20-30 mins max for now)

I would take it very easy with running just in case...

- Burner
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Recovery - Hurts [burner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm a little nervous. The marathon course was very hilly (mostly downhill) and during the race my calves were screaming from about 16 on.

I will say that on my run this morning that the pain/soreness didn't set in until later in the run (compared to the previous two recovery runs).

But I'm a little nervous.
Quote Reply