Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Marathon Investigations Accuses Ashley Paulson
Quote | Reply
Just saw this pop up, and it really chaps me when course records go down to cheaters(alleged). He is very careful in his observations, so not a full on she cheated yet. But when you look at her past record of doping and other course cutting, pair it with the all time fastest splits for the last 16+ uphill miles, even besting the men who are world class ultramarathoners, well it doesn't look good.

Such a classic race too here in my neck of the woods, usually attracts the exact opposite of this woman. Real hard core peeps who do it for the love of doing something really, really hard..I have had a few friends do this thing in the past, anyone here do Badwater?

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...JimM1RFMqdQ1ixjX30b4
Last edited by: rrheisler: Jul 16, 22 3:17
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Investigations at it again, and another Ashley!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Just saw this pop up, and it really chaps me when course records go down to cheaters(alleged). He is very careful in his observations, so not a full on she cheated yet. But when you look at her past record of doping and other course cutting, pair it with the all time fastest splits for the last 16+ uphill miles, even besting the men who are world class ultramarathoners, well it doesn't look good.

Such a classic race too here in my neck of the woods, usually attracts the exact opposite of this woman. Real hard core peeps who do it for the love of doing something really, really hard..I have had a few friends do this thing in the past, anyone here do Badwater?

make of it what you will but she did release her Garmin files. doesn't seem so clear cut case of cheating but i'll let Marathon Investigate dig into it.

https://www.facebook.com/...MeMzGkVRbGJb6488VGDl

Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Investigations at it again, and another Ashley!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Far from it. Here’s how he concluded the post

Quote:

Admittedly, at this point I have been unable to present definitive evidence to say either Ashley cheated, or that Ashley’s result is legitimate. There are two possibilities. Ashley cheated, or she turned in an all time great performance that should be celebrated.

Either way, the truth needs to come out. The scrutiny is warranted based on the incredible performance, and Ashley’s past controversies. If it is proven that her run was legitimate, it would be a fantastic story of redemption.

Marathon Investigation is the “prosecutor” in this public trial, and MI has the burden of proof to demonstrate there is no doubt that shenanigans occurred.

However, MI admits on the record that MI is “ unable to present definitive evidence to say either Ashley cheated, or that Ashley’s result is legitimate“. If that’s the case, MI’s public prosecution isn’t ready for prime time, and the wiser course of action would have been not publishing this.

Instead, it’s a lot of insinuations and circumstantial facts that MI admits to be less than definitive, and MI proceeds to goad the accused, hoping the accused might slip up. Something about this just doesn’t feel right.

What has made MI popular are the series of cases where MI dug up incontrovertible evidence. This latest post smells too much like someone a bit high on his/her prior success and decided to publish something that is incomplete.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Investigations at it again, and another Ashley!! [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Investigations at it again, and another Ashley!! [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 Words

“Summary Data: Edited”

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Investigations at it again, and another Ashley!! [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
3 Words

“Summary Data: Edited”

Please extrapolate
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Investigations at it again, and another Ashley!! [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you scroll down to the bottom of the files she posted. Under the watch. It says the data has been edited.

All I need to see.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
However, MI admits on the record that MI is “ unable to present definitive evidence to say either Ashley cheated, or that Ashley’s result is legitimate“. If that’s the case, MI’s public prosecution isn’t ready for prime time, and the wiser course of action would have been not publishing this. //

I think MI and most the rest of us know what happened, or at least something fishy happened. You are reading way too much into his soft sell, and this will help him collect more evidence from others that were there and witnesses. When I see some non elite woman beat the best men in the world(last two substantial splits) I really don't need much more than that. Forget about her history, it just is one of those impossibilities. Like if you saw some top AG woman outsplit Kristian B in the run of an ironman(which he won of course). It just is not possible, just have a look at that list of top men runners over the years that put up incredible times for that section, and then with a straight face tell me that it was possible for her to out run them..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As much as I think this thing sort of needs to exist, did one of his subjects not commit suicide almost immediately following him publishing an article on him/her. I tend to remember much controversy around this, Derek then went silent. Sometimes I think he can get effed.

Also. For the doping suspension, she is one of the few people to prove that what she was taking was contaminated. Should she have been taking shady supplements? No. Did you probably know it was contaminated and made in a bath tub? No idea. But I remember when SARMS were all the rage, you went to the right supplement store and you could buy gel pills, didn't even need to buy a contaminated lot of BCAAs. Clearly the USADA panel bought her evidence and that's why she got 6 months for a prohibited substance and not four years. So, maybe she's just really fast. But I kinda liked when Derek wasn't writing.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Investigations at it again, and another Ashley!! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Faster than Scott Jurek, and all those other men champions? Your whole doping slant is just another if the glove doesn't fit routine. Stay on topic, how did she beat all those men, and why are her files now edited?

And you have misrepresented the other story too. It was a very long and protracted case against another guy that broke a running world record. He had months to come clean, but it was his choice to hold to his obvious fictional story, and that led "him" to his final solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't misrepresent the story, the dude still killed himself. End/of.

I don't really care either way, I just find how Derek goes about his business effectively wrong. But in the case of Paulsen, don't know her from nobody, the only time people care about Ultras is never. I only care because we're attempting to amplify a website that hasn't done too much good, some bad, and invaded peoples lives.

But the women's course record before Ashley's was 24:13 by Patrycja Bereznowska who was 44 at the time of running Badwater.

Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Investigations at it again, and another Ashley!! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But the women's course record before Ashley's was 24:13 by Patrycja Bereznowska who was 44 at the time of running Badwater. //

Oh lookie here, another shiny object to distract. If all she did was break this elite woman's record, then your nonsense subtrufuge might give one a glimmer of hope. But once again you ignore the elephant in the room, and continue to argue lesser points. What about the mens records she beat?? Hint, they were not old or washed up, and most of us can easily recognize their names as some of the best in the world...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What elephant? I'm not subterfuging shit and you know it. Unless you want to knock on her doorstep and take her blood yourself for a USADA test, chill out? Yeah.

It's not about shiny objects, women have performed at Badwater. The GPS files are posted. If Badwater DQs her cool! But for now, can we stop amplifying this shit?

I don't really care about who she beat either, perhaps they should train more and better? 🤷‍♂️

Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Investigations at it again, and another Ashley!! [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
If you scroll down to the bottom of the files she posted. Under the watch. It says the data has been edited.

All I need to see.

Do you know what that means or are you guessing? I suspect the latter.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
However, MI admits on the record that MI is “ unable to present definitive evidence to say either Ashley cheated, or that Ashley’s result is legitimate“. If that’s the case, MI’s public prosecution isn’t ready for prime time, and the wiser course of action would have been not publishing this. //

I think MI and most the rest of us know what happened, or at least something fishy happened. You are reading way too much into his soft sell, and this will help him collect more evidence from others that were there and witnesses. When I see some non elite woman beat the best men in the world(last two substantial splits) I really don't need much more than that. Forget about her history, it just is one of those impossibilities. Like if you saw some top AG woman outsplit Kristian B in the run of an ironman(which he won of course). It just is not possible, just have a look at that list of top men runners over the years that put up incredible times for that section, and then with a straight face tell me that it was possible for her to out run them..

“Non-elite”?

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

The evidence collection should have been done in a much more private manner, before he (MI) decided to post for public consumption something laden with insinuations but lacking in definitive evidence (his own words, and i’m going to take his words at face value b/c his avocation deals with truth).

Instead, MI’s post is a fishing expedition, done with the aim that the accused would take the bait, b/c MI has gathered as much circumstantial evidence as he could but failed to obtain anything satisfying his standard of dispositive evidence.

The line of “[e]ither way, the truth needs to come out. The scrutiny is warranted based on the incredible performance, and Ashley’s past controversies. If it is proven that her run was legitimate, it would be a fantastic story of redemption” is nothing short of passive-aggressive goading. The accused may owe an explanation to the organizers, but she doesn’t owe MI anything. That line from MI is more desperation than anything else, made all the more stark b/c based on his track record, he hasn’t really posted half-assed insinuations before.

This is basically a half-assed prosecution that relies on plausible circumstantial evidence and hopes that reputation of MI and/or slip-up from the accused would allow MI to prove his case.

The shoddiness of MI’s post is separate from whether the accused engaged in anything untoward. Frankly, i don’t care, b/c the only reason why i know of the accused is through MI’s post (which is to say, it reached me only b/c i read about it via a proverbial poisoned chalice). For someone who built an avocation on excoriating those who cut corners, it’s all the more ironic that the same someone would cut a few corners of his own.

This particular incident surrounding the accused is of importance to you. If you to have something convincing (if not by my standard, than certainty @slowman’s standard when it comes to accusations), present evidence more convincing than what MI has gathered.
Last edited by: echappist: Jul 15, 22 21:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
monty wrote:

The evidence collection should have been done in a much more private manner, before he (MI) decided to post for public consumption something laden with insinuations but lacking in definitive evidence (his own words, and i’m going to take his words at face value b/c his avocation deals with truth).

Instead, MI’s post is a fishing expedition, done with the aim that the accused would take the bait, b/c MI has gathered as much circumstantial evidence as he could but failed to obtain anything satisfying his standard of dispositive evidence.

The line of “[e]ither way, the truth needs to come out. The scrutiny is warranted based on the incredible performance, and Ashley’s past controversies. If it is proven that her run was legitimate, it would be a fantastic story of redemption” is nothing short of passive-aggressive goading. The accused may owe an explanation to the organizers, but she doesn’t owe MI anything. That line from MI is more desperation than anything else, made all the more stark b/c based on his track record, he hasn’t really posted half-assed insinuations before.

This is basically a half-assed prosecution that relies on plausible circumstantial evidence and hopes that reputation of MI and/or slip-up from the accused would allow MI to prove his case.

The shoddiness of MI’s post is separate from whether the accused engaged in anything untoward. Frankly, i don’t care, b/c the only reason why i know of the accused is through MI’s post (which is to say, it reached me only b/c i read about it via a proverbial poisoned chalice). For someone who built an avocation on excoriating those who cut corners, it’s all the more ironic that the same someone would cut a few corners of his own.

I disagree with you on this.

This person won a highly public, famous event, which by default makes her a public figure in this domain. This is not some private personal matter that should stay behind closed doors until it's all figured out. Her results are out there, highly visible, and she is set to profit materially from it from the potential fame and accolades that come with it.

When sporting athletes, in whatever sport, have questionable results, it's very normal to have a public discussion about it as part of free speech. There are limits of course, but I don't think anyone's crossing that in this case. She happens to have some highly improbable results on several parts of her run that any referee would demand a detailed explanation for.

If someone did something like this at the Kona world championship, everyone here would be demanding proof of performance, without any hesitation. And given her history as well as the near-unbelievable splits of some of her segments, I'd say the burden of proof is on her to prove that she performed as she claimed.

I can see why some folks are uncomfortable that MI is involved in the exposure of this case, but that's really a separate issue completely. Had someone else entirely raised the same points of contention with her results, I'd feel exactly the same way about this case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

I'll preface this by saying I don't know Ashley, however I have met her briefly and talked to her and her husband for a few minutes at a race or two. I have no dog in this hunt. What I do know of Ashley is she has thrown down some very good marathons in triathlon for being a relatively poor swim / biker. I also know that she is tiny. Some women have shown to have incredible endurance, especially later on in races. She is six for six in Ultramarathon assuming everything is kosher. Is it conceivable to you that it is possible or is it laughable in your opinion?

I'm not familiar enough with what is and isn't possible in ultramarathon but conceptually I have a understanding of what is and isn't possible in triathlon and I could come to a conclusion on whether a performance is legit or not. It seems like she has some solid results in her past and it doesn't take a rocket science to see she trains a lot. Given all the classes she does at iFit plus the rest of her training, plus the understanding of how swimming/biking can grow an aerobic engine + the fact that she is a triathlete so presumably knows how to run ugly... all this has to work to her advantage. I've long held a belief that triathletes are some of the most fit and capable athletes out there. However what they make up in general fitness, they tend to be handicapped by additional muscle mass that just isn't needed for a single-sport athlete. While you can take a stellar triathlete and make a very good swimmer, biker or runner, we all know it just doesn't work in reverse.

While Badwater is an important race in the ultra community, is it soft? Is it like the ultraman in triathlon? David Goggins went 11:24 in Kona and yet went 25 high in Badwater and took 3rd place.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Investigations Accuses Ashley Paulson [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until there's definitive proof, follow the same protocol here that we would for doping violations.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Go to Let's Run if you want a free for all.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there anything in GPX files that a professional would not want released to the public? I keep my training logs and performances synced with TrainingPeaks and if there was a question about my capabilities, I would have no issue releasing them. I'm also a nobody.

I know this doesn't happen sometimes on Strava or other mediums, particularly in cycling. Is there a reason to withhold the information? Just basic privacy/competiitive advantage?

I'd sure want to clear my name.
Last edited by: Tri2gohard: Jul 16, 22 4:17
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Investigations at it again, and another Ashley!! [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

This person won a highly public, famous event, which by default makes her a public figure in this domain.
This is not some private personal matter that should stay behind closed doors until it's all figured out. Her results are out there, highly visible, and she is set to profit materially from it from the potential fame and accolades that come with it.

When sporting athletes, in whatever sport, have questionable results, it's very normal to have a public discussion about it as part of free speech. There are limits of course, but I don't think anyone's crossing that in this case. She happens to have some highly improbable results on several parts of her run that any referee would demand a detailed explanation for.

If someone did something like this at the Kona world championship, everyone here would be demanding proof of performance, without any hesitation. And given her history as well as the near-unbelievable splits of some of her segments, I'd say the burden of proof is on her to prove that she performed as she claimed.

I can see why some folks are uncomfortable that MI is involved in the exposure of this case, but that's really a separate issue completely. Had someone else entirely raised the same points of contention with her results, I'd feel exactly the same way about this case.

Much of what you wrote after the bolded is just gobble de gook. The standards of what makes someone a public figure is significantly different than winning Badwater. Badwater is not the US Open or even the US Marathon Championships.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
As much as I think this thing sort of needs to exist, did one of his subjects not commit suicide almost immediately following him publishing an article on him/her. I tend to remember much controversy around this, Derek then went silent. Sometimes I think he can get effed.

JFC that's unreal. People need to get some perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
lightheir wrote:

This person won a highly public, famous event, which by default makes her a public figure in this domain.
This is not some private personal matter that should stay behind closed doors until it's all figured out. Her results are out there, highly visible, and she is set to profit materially from it from the potential fame and accolades that come with it.

Much of what you wrote after the bolded is just gobble de gook. The standards of what makes someone a public figure is significantly different than winning Badwater. Badwater is not the US Open or even the US Marathon Championships.

It's not gobleddygook. It's legit. Winning Badwater is no small feat - it routinely gets picked up by national and world press. Just because it's not as popular as the NBA finals doesn't mean you can expect to unexpectedly win the Badwater and put up splits that are beating prior top competitors, and not expect to get publicly questioned about your results.

This is literally why sporting events have referees, audiences, recording, etc. So if someone puts up a truly remarkable performance, it can be celebrated once it's verified.

I don't care who you are - if you go and do a self-supported Kona Ironman and say you did it in 7:00 unassisted, totally legit, nobody is going to believe you did it until you show multiple forms of undeniable proof. You go and do that same 7:00 in ANY official WTC Ironman race, and everyone is going to want you both drug tested, as well as to see your GPS files, splits, and timing chip video photos to see you weren't cutting the course.

To expect complete privacy after winning the Badwater in such fashion is just ludicrous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
monty wrote:

This particular incident surrounding the accused is of importance to you. If you to have something convincing (if not by my standard, than certainty @slowman’s standard when it comes to accusations), present evidence more convincing than what MI has gathered.

you've summed up, in a lawyer's words, the reasons behind my ongoing ambivalence about MI.

I've never liked the idea of accusing someone of cheating in a race and then inviting them to prove their innocence:

"just share your garmin files!"

-wait, who are you, MI? and why do I owe you my garmin files? what will you do with them? why are you the arbiter here?

-personally, I only got my first garmin a few years ago. they're bloody expensive. what if I don't race with one?

"look at past results!"

-if you look up my results, you'll find a lot of up and down. sometimes i race with others, or walk in a flat to finish last, or whatever. last weekend I was top-10 in a little 5k run. this weekend I'm doing a bike race with my wife. her first century, and I'm her domestique, so I'll likely finish waaay back. put those together and you've got circumstantial evidence that I must have cheated in the 5k, right?

I think there have been plenty of cases on MI of righteous busts. but there have also been a whole lot of feeding frenzied that went too far, and in at least one case directly contributed to a suicide.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty, you asked if anyone here did Badwater this year? Well, I didn't run, but did crew/pace a runner. We were passed by Ashley somewhere between 40-50 miles into the race I think, and she looked amazing. This was during daylight, after running through the night, and she was conversationally talking with her pacer as she passed us. She was clearly running better/smoother and easier than any of the leading men who went by us. I tend to agree with those who feel MI went a bit early on this call; and, I sincerely hope Ashley can vindicate herself.
Quote Reply

Prev Next