Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon Advice (weather)
Quote | Reply
I will be participating in the Seattle Marathon this weekend. Training has gone pretty well and except for a few linger aches and pains, I should be ready to go.

Now amazingly enough the weather for a November marathon in Seattle is predicted to be in the high 20’s – 30’s with chance of snow and/or rain.

Now I have done all my training in shorts and a long sleeve shirt but I am thinking of adding some running pants and vest for race day. What say you, ST community?

Stick with shorts or layer it on like a kid going to grade school?

Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Advice (weather) [train in vain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For temps in the high 20s or low 30s I'd personally go with running tights, a knit cap, gloves, a short sleeve, and a long sleeve. Depending on how you deal with the cold - some or all of this. A vest may get a bit too hot.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year it was 40 the whole time with very little rain or wind: I ran it in Sporthill pants and a long sleeve capilene medium-weight top, liner gloves and a running cap: I took the gloves off and on a lot, but otherwise my temp was perfect. Ten degrees cooler and I would have appreciated a vest. Have fun with the hills at miles 21-23!!! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone is different in how they react to the cold...me, it's my hands and head on the run that are the worst....I can run into the mid 30s with shorts and perhaps two layers on top as long as I've got gloves on....but, everyone is different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tights/pants, definitely. GLOVES! too

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Advice (weather) [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the advice so far.
I was worried about wearing pants, thinking I might get to hot for a race. Now I think I am leaning towards pants.

Yeah, the hill should be fun. I ran it in training and hit it at about mile 15. Waiting for an extra five, six miles should make it extra fun.
Last edited by: train in vain: Nov 24, 06 10:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran Huntsville in 22 degree temps wearing shorts and a Nike dryfit sleevless top, I had a tossaway cotton shirt over top for the first mile.
But you indicated that there was going to be weather, this adds other problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like pants weather to me. I ran the Christmas Marathon in Olympia a few years ago. It was low 40s and rain, and I was okay with shorts, long sleeves, and gloves. I'd probably wear tights for your temps, especially if there is going to be rain/snow. But, as another poster said, people react differently to cold. I'm usually pretty good as long as my hands are warm. Unfortunately, it's hard to keep them warm!

Have fun,
-C

P.S. Have you ever wondered why the hell the Seattle Marathon is in late November? Makes no sense to me. The Portland marathon is in September. Perfect weather most years.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Advice (weather) [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Have you ever wondered why the hell the Seattle Marathon is in late November? Makes no sense to me. The Portland marathon is in September. Perfect weather most years.

Seriously, a November marathon in seattle?
I don’t get it. Granted I’ve done the half a couple of times and doing the full meal deal this year. But still.I always figured that Portland was September, Victoria, October and the Seattle RD did not want to conflict with those two. But there is nothing in June so that can’t be it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a new marathon in Seattle in July I think ... Most years its not pouring for the marathon, but its still not a great time of year: CIM in December in Sacto and Napa in early March run the same risk ...
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Advice (weather) [train in vain]/stand by me [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...I'll be there too, slogging away for hoopefully something less than 4 hours. It's gonna be cold, not sure if wet and cold. All the same I'll be wearing: cotton from a pill bottle in my ears, running cap, short sleeve running shirt with a thin microfiber shirt underneath, thin mittens, lycra/spandex running shorts with "traditional" running shorts on top, thin socks. Good luck on your race on Sun.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Best thing I figured out in races where I'm not sure is wearing a short sleeve shirt with arm warmers and gloves with a skull cap. I wear Race Ready shorts with the pouches in the back so if it gets hot, I can roll up the arm warmers and/or gloves/hat and stick them in the pockets so I don't have to throw them away. I've also worn a 1/2 zip long sleeve patagonia shirt that's pretty warm with nothing under it, so if I started heating up I could just lower the zipper to let some air in and cool off. As long as your upper body is warm your legs should be ok,- unless it's windy. On second thought- screw it- 20's- I'd wear the tights.
Quote Reply