Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Making Stretching a Daily Habit
Quote | Reply
I've always put stretching as my number one thing that I should do more of for overall health and for triathlon.

Although, I've always struggled to make it a daily habit.

Any tips to cement it into the daily schedule? When to to it? How long? What to focus on?
Quote Reply
Re: Making Stretching a Daily Habit [ENP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you feel you should make it more of a habit?

I used to be a chronic foam roller and stretcher. Doing both of them for the sake of simply doing them. Over a year ago I stopped doing both daily and have not had any issues.

If you wish to do some type of stretching as a daily habit, I recommend trying some yoga videos or joining a class.

---
KyleKranz.com
Win a pair of SKORA Running Shoes!
Quote Reply
Re: Making Stretching a Daily Habit [kylekranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kylekranz wrote:

I used to be a chronic foam roller and stretcher. Doing both of them for the sake of simply doing them. Over a year ago I stopped doing both daily and have not had any issues.

If you wish to do some type of stretching as a daily habit, I recommend trying some yoga videos or joining a class.

How the hell does a dude w/ a 3:19 marathon PR qualify as a running coach? Never mind. Good for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Making Stretching a Daily Habit [TroyNelson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my defense that 3:19 was my only standalone marathon from a few years back on a very bad day ;)

Seriously though. Speed, athletic knowledge, and ability to work well with athletes to help them succeed are all independent of each other.

Coaching is one of the most rewarding professions. It's extremely rewarding getting to help people do anything from run their first 5k or BQ.

---
KyleKranz.com
Win a pair of SKORA Running Shoes!
Last edited by: kylekranz: Sep 29, 14 20:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately there is little evidence that stretching does much for performance or for overall health. While flexibility does result from some activities (for example, increased shoulder flexibility from swimming) the direct relationship to performance is muddy at best. Actually, there is some evidence (but not conclusive) that in some activities (like running), flexibility can hinder performance.

You might be better off focusing on good warm ups, and lots of varied activity, even outside of swim bike run.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:
I've always put stretching as my number one thing that I should do more of for overall health and for triathlon.

Any tips to cement it into the daily schedule? When to to it? How long? What to focus on?

I stretch after every run, or alternatively after martial arts class. I'll put on some music or a movie, and spend about 30 seconds per stretch, total time anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on how extensively I am pushing the stretches.

I work mostly the major muscle groups, and make sure that if I stretch one set of muscles, I stretch the opposing as well. Drop me a PM as a reminder, and I can write out the routine that I generally follow for you.

While it's not really anything that will help triathlon performance, it is one measure of general health, and has saved me injury on several occasions when I've slid out, missed a step and rolled the ankle, etc. That's worth an extra 10-20 minutes out of my day.

Just make sure that you don't do static stretching unless you've either worked out or warmed up. Static stretching on cold muscles is a good way to tweak something.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As with any profession the innate ability to do the job is what counts the most in the coaching. The ability to lead, teach, and relate with people has zero to do with athletic ability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is Brett Sutton's IM PR?

Never mind. Good for you.
Last edited by: knighty76: Sep 29, 14 21:40
Quote Reply
Re: Making Stretching a Daily Habit [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
ENP wrote:

I stretch after every run, or alternatively after martial arts class. I'll put on some music or a movie, and spend about 30 seconds per stretch, total time anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on how extensively I am pushing the stretches.

I work mostly the major muscle groups, and make sure that if I stretch one set of muscles, I stretch the opposing as well. Drop me a PM as a reminder, and I can write out the routine that I generally follow for you.

While it's not really anything that will help triathlon performance, it is one measure of general health, and has saved me injury on several occasions when I've slid out, missed a step and rolled the ankle, etc. That's worth an extra 10-20 minutes out of my day.

Just make sure that you don't do static stretching unless you've either worked out or warmed up. Static stretching on cold muscles is a good way to tweak something.

John

I never stretch and I never get sick and I don't get injured.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't stretched since 2006.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was that way too and one day I just decided it was a big enough priority that I made it happen. It's amazing how and where you can get a little stretching in. I travel non-stop so find everywhere to do it. I swim only now, but stretching out my lats and upper back had a massive effect on my ability to develop a much better overall stroke. I still stretch my full body though and to that end whether or not it is why I'm injury free? Have no idea. I know it makes me feel fantastic though and I don't get achy from sitting all day in a plane/car any longer.

Just find a way to get it done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TroyNelson wrote:
kylekranz wrote:

How the hell does a dude w/ a 3:19 marathon PR qualify as a running coach? Never mind. Good for you.

Who is Michael Phelps' coach, again? What's his 100fly PR?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been in a couple of accidents that have caused some tweaks in my back and knees. I have found that along with physio style strength work that stretching keeps those areas of my body from getting even more out of place and saves me from having to go to the chiropractor as often.

To your original question, I stretch right after I do a 15 min warm up with my dog in the morning(kills two birds with one stone) and then again with my afternoon workout. Sometimes when I miss my morning stretch I take a 15 minute break at work and close my office door to do some stretching.

Hope that helps,

Ready or not here I come!
Coaching NY's Southern Tier
Swift^3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a good question. I was thinking about this the other day as I looked at my bike and started thinking that I need to get lower. At this point, back/hamstring flexibility is what is holding me back and what I plan on working on all winter. I'll get back to you in 6 months :-p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are a DICK!!!!!

Quote | Reply
TroyNelson wrote:
kylekranz wrote:

I feel sorry for you that you have to look at yourself in the mirror every morning..you can't like what you see.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few reasons to stretch. I'm pretty sure that none of them will make you a better/ faster triathlete. So, if you are clear to yourself as to why you want to stretch (which should then answer the 'what to focus on' part of the equation), then you'll likely find the motivation to do so.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:

I just do it whenever I can. Easier to fit in a stretch or two a couple of times a day than setting aside a time for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Making Stretching a Daily Habit [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
What is Brett Sutton's IM PR?

Never mind. Good for you.

This. Beat me to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don;t do any form of stretching as a routine although before races I'll spend some time each day the week of stretching because it calms me. I learned in the last 5 years that static stretching is a performance inhibitor so no longer do I do any static stretching before running or cycling. I did a series of dynamic stretches when I was getting over a knee injury and found that my knees/body seemed to recover faster, possibly due to the dynamic movements. I've used a foam roller a few times and wasn't all that impressed.

At the end of a very long run I will now stretch out calves and sometimes quads but otherwise I don't mess with it.

When I am at the airport I will do some "touch your toes" stretches in the corner just to get some movement after a long rental car drive and to prepare for 3+ hours of sitting on the plane.

I think a quick yoga session (based on my limited knowledge) would be the most beneficial as it engages multiple muscles and adds in a calm moment to the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people never seem to stretch and never get injured. Maybe they will one day, who knows.

What I do know, is I have had quite a few injuries (specifically from running) that were either caused by, or cured by, stretching. It may not make you "faster" but it could help with injury prevention.

I hate stretching, but it's just a matter of doing it. I try to do it outside before going back in my home otherwise I never will. Seems to help.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Making Stretching a Daily Habit [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:

Good for you. Go thank your parents.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Making Stretching a Daily Habit [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
texafornia wrote:

John

Don't be jealous. You don't look good in yellow.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Making Stretching a Daily Habit [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
Devlin wrote:
texafornia wrote:

John

Don't be jealous. You don't look good in yellow.

Wasn't jealous. I'm the same way. Even when I worked ER for a few years I didn't get sick. It's nothing that I do, it's genetics. So, thank your parents. :)

John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How the hell does a dude w/ a 3:19 marathon PR qualify as a running coach?

Tiger Woods is a better golfer than his swing coach.

Quote Reply

Prev Next