Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mad Fiber Wheels
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about getting a set and I wanted to hear from people that actually own (or have tried) these wheels. I'm hoping to get some feedback about them (both positive and negative). Really interested in how they handle, feel, etc.

I know they're not the most aero wheels out there, but i'm still intrigued by them.
Just as a side note, really interesting article about wind tunnel tested wheels here:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...ro-wheelsets_69944/1
Quote Reply
Re: Mad Fiber Wheels [JTK28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They seemed to work pretty well for Fast Freddy yesterday!
Quote Reply
Re: Mad Fiber Wheels [dyhopper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't own a set or never tried them. I think that they are a nice set of wheel for a nice boutique or Sunday bike. I'm not sure I would use them for an everyday wheelset. That said I would buy a set if I could afford them.

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Re: Mad Fiber Wheels [dyhopper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyhopper wrote:
They seemed to work pretty well for Fast Freddy yesterday!

Good job picking up on that.

I'm sure it was the wheels that allowed him to win though...

I'm hoping the wheels will do the same thing for me!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've had them for a year and they are fantastic. they are so light but no sacrifice in strength though i've never hit potholes to test them. they lightness is evident when you accelerate. braking surface works well with the supplied cork pads. i wish it was pade in a different carbon weave, not a fannof the 12k weave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the spirit of full disclosure, my agency represents Mad Fiber in Northern California. However, this wouldn't be the case if I didn't feel it was a great product.

As you mentioned, they're not the most aerodynamic wheels. But they're great all around, which makes them really versatile. At 1300 grams, they're one of the, if not the lightest 60mm+ carbon clinchers available. They climb and accelerate really well, and aerodynamics wise, they're comparable to a 404. Wheelbuilder.com even makes an Aerojacket cover!

The wheels are also incredibly durable. I've ridden them exclusively as my every day wheels since last August without any major issues. Berkeley roads are some of the worst I've ever ridden on, and they put up with it.

Finally, if there are any issues, the company stands behind their product and will fix/replace any issues that aren't meant to happen. In my experience they've been few, but there's always a couple here and there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a brand new pair for sale if you are interested. PM me back if your interested. They are sweet wheels and finally something different to the ubiquitous zipps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the testing they have been doing on the wheels. They are supposedly the strongest road wheels out there. No weight limit and can survive very big bumps and hits.

If they were cheaper, I'd buy a set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tested a pair out for a friend and I have the following thoughts:

1) Incredibly light and amazing on hilly courses; accel very quickly
2) $$$$$
3) Break well for a carbon surface
4) Be careful inflating. The carbon spokes have a super sharp surface. I wasn't careful and got a pretty nasty cut popping the tire pump off the valve. This and the cost are the only downfalls.
Quote Reply
Re: Mad Fiber Wheels [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those that have tried them...

Did you guys/gals notice any flex in the wheels?

I've read a few different reviews with people saying different things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden them on a cross bike and a road bike and had no issues at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Mad Fiber Wheels [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again for those that have tried the wheels...

Are you happy with your purchase? Would you buy them again or would you buy a different set?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have ridden both tubular and clincher madfiber wheels for 2 years now.. I have owned envy, zipp, rolf, and accell wheels. These out perform all of them on all around riding performance. They are really advantageous on hills and sprints. They are so light that descents are not as fast as a wheel with more weight. the crosswinds are only a learning curve.. once you get used to the feel of such light wheels, there is no problem what so ever! i have sent my wheels in for basic maintenance twice and every time they have been prompt, helpful, and the wheels come back to me like a new set.. they have never come out of true, and i ride cross on them also. they are slightly flexy, but if you put a heavier skewer then theirs on, they stiffin up real nice. in all, i would go with the tubular set because their bonding strength seems much stronger and they are 130grams lighter then the clinchers!

mine have proven to be indestructible, thrue crashes pot holes, curbs, jumps and bunny hops, they have survived aNd are as in true as they were when i received them...

Try contacting each company and ask them the same question, i bet madfiber will be a much more pleasant company to deal with!! also their warranty program is unheard of in this industry!! much better then any one elses!! 3 years more warranty then envy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is a climb near where i live called Ultra. its a good short climb where i can test my wheel stiffness by standing & really mash on the pedals. if my front brake pads rub the rim, the wheels are flexy. i weigh 175pds. not sure how to test rear flex. the mf's have no rub at all. others have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheels flex in different modes depending on construction vertical and laterally being the most predominant. So vertical flex is good IMO

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Mad Fiber Wheels [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> if my front brake pads rub the rim, the wheels are flexy.

According to Zipp and the Greg Kopecky's "Debunking Wheel Stiffness" article you've got it backwards. Stiff wheels deflect more at the brake pads. (assuming brake pads in conventional locations) Here is the illustration from Zipp:

Quote Reply
Re: Mad Fiber Wheels [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
> if my front brake pads rub the rim, the wheels are flexy.

According to Zipp and the Greg Kopecky's "Debunking Wheel Stiffness" article you've got it backwards. Stiff wheels deflect more at the brake pads. (assuming brake pads in conventional locations) Here is the illustration from Zipp:

That actually makes a lot if sense
Quote Reply
Re: Mad Fiber Wheels [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So based on that article/theory...

Seem like mad fiber wheels are really not the "stiffest". But it seems that's actually a good thing?

Also if you read/watch about their durability tests.

https://madfiber.com/durability_testing

They deflect the wheel at a 30 degree angle which de-tensions the spoke at the deflection point but only at the deflection point.

This leads me to believe that, unlike other wheels, mad fiber wheels have different deflection properties than mentioned by the zipp article.

That would explain campled experience...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well it is more like there is rim stiffness and spoke stiffness and they need to be aligned to prevent brake rubs, and/or your frame/fork need to be stuff to prevent brake rub.

so, anyway the MF don't need to have different deflection properties than the zipps to explain campled's experience, they just need the right balance of stiffness between rims and spokes.

Anyway between some heavy, powerful, local cat 1 studs doing crits on these wheels without complaint, and the US national road race champ winning out of a field sprint, in a race that included repeated climbs and descents...

I think the wheels probably handle fine.

aero wise...slightly worse than a zipp 404 if you believe their own marketing data (and ignoring the 30 to 40 deg yaw which will basically never happen)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply