Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looks like they may be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning
Quote | Reply
We had some of the most intense thunderstorms I've experienced roll through the Rochester area at ~ 5:00 this morning. The radar shows them headed for the folks up at IMLP and probably hitting late in the swim or early in the bike.

Glad they resurfaced the Keene descent. Fingers crossed for a safe day for everyone.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Jul 27, 14 4:09
Quote Reply
Re: They will be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch. Wonder what the race will do. Hope it clears up somehow.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: They will be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It now looks as if the most intense band of thunderstorms will be passing south of Lake Placid. The pros have already completed a lap and all of the age groupers have started via a rolling start.

Just a light rain right now.

Last edited by: sciguy: Jul 27, 14 4:07
Quote Reply
Re: They will be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update keeps us posted
Quote Reply
Re: They will be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hwangnyc wrote:
Thanks for the update keeps us posted

It looks as if the swim dodged a bullet ....missing out on all the extreme lightening events we had in the Rochester area earlier this morning. It now looks like the rain will pass though the area over the next couple of hours.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
It now looks as if the most intense band of thunderstorms will be passing south of Lake Placid. The pros have already completed a lap and all of the age groupers have started via a rolling start.

Just a light rain right now.

That looks thick like 2008...safe racing guys!
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like they may be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the updates from the tracker:

The rain is coming down now. A mix of heavy and light rain. Even a little crack of thunder.
But the dark clouds seem to be moving away for now.

The rain is coming hard and heavy now. A lot of age groupers are making their way out.

The lead men are in Jay (approaching the 30 mile mark). Csoke leads Kyle Buckingham by 2:28. Our spotters are reporting lots of heavy rain and thunder.

All of our finishers today will definitely earn their IRONMAN finisher's medal. Tough conditions to start the day for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like they may be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well bad news for the good swimmers:(

"Adverse conditions out there. The thunder and lightning forced officials to end the swim early for many competitors. At this point we anticipate that bike and run times only - will be counted towards the final results. We will update that info ASAP."

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like they may be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Whiteface to cycle and watch the race. They stopped the swim but athletes still heading out on the bike. I did IM Placid 2008 in the monsoon. We had lots of rain that year but it was warmer and no major thunderstorm cells. Today is nasty and too many athletes not dressed appropriately for the conditions. Lots of lightning and thunder at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like they may be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw this on the National Weather Service

Those attending the ironman Lake Placid are in the path of this storm and should prepare for dangerous weather conditions.
...A strong thunderstorm will move through Essex...northwestern Addison...south central Franklin...southeastern Clinton... southwestern Chittenden and southwestern Grand Isle counties...
At 801 am EDT...a strong thunderstorm was 4 miles northeast of Tahawus...moving northeast at 45 mph.
Expect dangerous lightning. Excessive runoff from heavy rainfall will cause elevated levels on small creeks and streams...and ponding of water on country roads and farmland along the banks of creeks and streams.
Locations impacted include but are not limited to... Mount Marcy...Mount Van Hoevenberg...Keene Valley...Keene...Lewis... Elizabethtown...Reber...Exit 32 i87...Willsboro...Willsboro Point... Shelburne Point...Juniper Island...
Move indoors immediately! Remember...if you can hear thunder...you are close enough to be struck by lightning. Stay in safe shelter at least 30 minutes after you hear the last clap of thunder.
Last edited by: highflyer: Jul 27, 14 5:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope everyone has a safe day. I wasn't there for the deluge in 2008 but remember some crazy storms that passed through during the race in 2002 (I did the Keene descent in a downpour - not fun) and 2003.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like they may be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it is anything like what blew through my town this morning, that is going to be a very scary hour of riding. Hope everyone gets through safe.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like they may be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [RFXCrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the radar, they are out of most of the crap. Light rains soon to be ending with ridiculously light winds.

If they indeed decide to only count the bike and run times, that sucks greatly for the people who made it out of the swim and are good swimmers. A major part of their race strategy gets taken away in favor of the stronger cyclists and runners. It's a shame that IM doesn't have a contingency plan that includes a delayed start possibility. (I understand the struggles with the cut-off and respect towards the town)

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like they may be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that this delayed start/cutoff idea would have worked up until they decided to stop doing mass starts. It would be almost impossible to do now, unfortunately.

If the swim is canned, how the heck are they going to start people on the bike? Even a wave start would be extremely dangerous...
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like they may be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [RFXCrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RFXCrunner wrote:
I think that this delayed start/cutoff idea would have worked up until they decided to stop doing mass starts. It would be almost impossible to do now, unfortunately.

If the swim is canned, how the heck are they going to start people on the bike? Even a wave start would be extremely dangerous...

IMLP is a rolling mass start. They get the entire group into the water in about 15 minutes so it would still work.

Apparently (if I understand this correctly), the entire group got in the water and roughly 1/2 of them made it out to the 2nd lap. The other 1/2 got stopped and I'm assuming sent to their bikes. It seems like a nightmare decision on how to handle whose time is 'official' and who gets awards. Either they completely disregard the swim and focus only on bike/ run times. Or they deem people who didn't make the 2nd lap of the swim ineligible for awards. (Another option, which is highly unlikely, is that they double the swim time for the 1-lappers and use that as the swim time). Regardless of what decision is made, there will be outrage.

Update from IM Live:

The professional race is intact. All time splits will be counted in the official finish time.

For the age group athletes, since all athletes completed one lap of the swim. The official time will be calculated as: One lap of the swim, Bike, T2, and Run. T1 will not be included.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like they may be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just noted that pro race is intact and all times will count. AG race to include ONE lap of swim, bike and run as well as T2. NO T1 time to be included.
good luck sorting that out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never mind all the weather, who is in 7th?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And i know this weather well, i did a half race there in 82 and it poured rain and was throwing bolts down the entire race. Of course we cancelled nothing in those days, i loved every second of it. Temp was about 48 though, so those folks out there really have it good!!
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like they may be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you walk uphill both ways in the freezing cold on your way to school too?

;-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like they may be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He means 1882.
-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like they may be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
Did you walk uphill both ways in the freezing cold on your way to school too?

;-)

In fact, that old Lake Placid Half Ironman bike course went around in the other, much harder direction

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like they may be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the RD's worst nightmare. Sounds like they are on top of it. I can't open the tracker on my iphone so not sure how it's going.

Quote | Reply
i had a teammate wipe out on the bike cus of the weather. rough day for folks there.

my friend amber won overall female though :-)!
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like they may be having exciting weather at IMLP this morning [Dalton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shout out to a fellow 2008 carnie freak.......was up there on Friday hanging out on the shore of Mirror Lake and a newbie asked me point blank about lightning/thunder around the swim time frame? I laughed and told him not to sweat it as it would never happen that early in the AM. I suggested that they might make you run around Mirror Lake and then head into T1 and call that trek your 'swim'

(Then of course I launched into my best George Costanza, "The sea was mighty angry that day my friends......in recapping the 2008 epic rains......)

Feel really bad for the 1100 first timers who will have to get a 139.4 bumper sticker.......sux!
Quote Reply