Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [Jiowa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jiowa wrote:
kiwi. wrote:
NiceTri wrote:
...the downtube has a profile very similar to the fastest wheels on the market.

Why should the downtube be shaped like a wheel?

If Zipp wheels already has a solid shape for crosswinds it should work for the frame.

Zipps have a solid design for wheels in a crosswind, but they function under a different set of aero parameters than a down tube.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be surprised it was different.

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I whats different? The shapoe of the downtube compared to a zipp rim or the aero parameters?. As far as aero parameters goes a down tube has a leading edge and trailing edge that stay that way. A rim has a leading edge that becomes a trailing edge (and vice versa) as the wheel rotates. Thats a significantly different design criteria.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
The current state of the art wheels aren't a typical airfoil shape. Most airfoils, and hopefully your frame are made to go forward while in a static orientation to direction of travel. Wheels are masde to go fard with the leading edge (tire) and also forward with the trailing edge (inner diameter of the rim).

Unless you ride your frame backwards half the time i wouldn't mimic a cutting edge rim shape.

This is what I was getting at, with fewer words.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wind doesn't really care if the wheel is rotating or not unless there's spokes. And Zipp, HED, and FLO all have wheels designed to have the leading edge and trailing edge be nearly symmetrical which works well in a crosswind. So I don't know what parameters you would expect to be different?

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just what I stated. That nearly symetrical desing works well for wheels, but if you are designing a bike frame with a down tube that doesn't have a edge that is both trailing and leading there is no reason to use a symetrical design. A normal non symetrical airfoil works better.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A true airfoil works great without a crosswind but not so much at 10 to 20 degree yaw as the sharp edge creates a lot of turbulent air. Round it out and the air will still attached to the surface better. This will change though at high speeds (>100mph).

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [jcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcd wrote:
On the day that Felt announce trickle-down of most of their DA tech to the B12 frameset at less than $1800, this has to be a joke.

Sorry for the hijack, but do you have a link to info on this? (I did search but didn't find anything)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All true but the vast amount of aero bikes made today aren't airfoils that have been designed around 100 mph. They typically are modeled, designed and tested for best performance at normal riding speeds. Its simply nonsensical that a frame member can be designed for best performace both backwards and forwards vs just forwards.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek Speed Concept and I think the new Scott TT bikes aren't airfoils, however they comply to UCI rules. The Specialize Shiv for triathlons downtube has more symmetrical shape to it than most bikes, which I believe is due to the fact that the cross section can be longer because it's not compliant with UCI.

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well technically yes they are airfoils, just truncated ones. And they are certainly not symetrical nor do they have the same performace forwards and backwards, not do they resemble current state of the art wheel cross sections.

Just to stay on topic I still maintain that utilizing state of the art rim cross sections is a non optimal choice for frame member cross sections.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My latest rebuild of my Pearson GC-1 Concept for mid-2012 season and beyond. I will be riding it for IM NYC on Saturday.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are the only person I have come across the internet that has a Pearson in the USA. How and where did you buy it? what is the price point for these frames?

Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next