Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Looking for job (anything) in San Diego
Quote | Reply
    My step son , Matt, moved to San Diego in August. He's young, fit and the best swimmer I know. He's hoping to make it a permanent move. As of right now he's not been able to find a job. He's a graduate of the NY State University at Albany, has Cisco certification for networking and worked for Rueters News in NY building and maintaining their networks with the far east. He also worked as a waiter all through college and after until he landed his job with Rueters. Not afraid of hard work, he's looking for something to get started.

Can anyone help him out? Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thank you, Jim Sweeney

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: Sep 21, 05 1:12
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for job (anything) in San Diego [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
has he ever held a clearance?

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for job (anything) in San Diego [jonny dough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not trying to steal the thread...but I am also in the hunt for employment. I have an active TS/SCI clearance. My time in the Navy Reserves has come to an end. I have done as many days as legally allowed. I am looking for anything to keep me here in San Diego. My wife has a good job here and kids have been in schools here for years. If anyone has a lead for a former Navy Pilot/Furloughed United Airlines Pilot and 20 year Naval Officer with years of management experience I am all ears.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
has he ever held a clearance?

I don't think Matt has had a security clearance but he did apply for a federal job in Washington about a year ago where he was thoroughly screened before the interview. He didn't get the job but he did pass the screening.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM me his resume and will see what I can do.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for job (anything) in San Diego [mmfred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM me your resume.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM'd you. Check your mail. Send me your resume.

- kd

kestrel driver

DonorsChoose.org (!!!)
bogolight.com (!!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious but I thought being a commercial pilot was a pretty good job. Why changing careers?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for job (anything) in San Diego [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being a commercial pilot was a good career until 9/11. United Airlines furloughed (let go) 2100 pilots, most other airlines did so as well. At one point there were more than 10,000 pilots on the street out of work after 9/11. Since then pay has been cut by almost 40% and all of the previous pension earned has been eliminated. Currently have an option to work as a Regional airline pilot out of Phoenix, but regional airlines pay horribly. There are checkers at most grocery stores that make more money. Take home pay for a 3rd year regional airline pilot is less than $2500.00 a month.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about that, thanks for sharing. The pension thing really stinks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"regional airlines pay horribly....There are checkers at most grocery stores that make more money. Take home pay for a 3rd year regional airline pilot is less than $2500.00 a month."

Not to gripe myself, but i think you are whining a bit here. 2500 a month take home is not a pittance, it just is not 100k a year like a lot of pilots are probably used to earning. i am an attorney 7 years out of school with stellar credentials and that is more than what i take home working for the state of Wisconsin. I never considered that grocery checkers could make that much.
Last edited by: johnt: Sep 20, 05 19:07
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for job (anything) in San Diego [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in san diego grocery checkers used to start at 20 an hour, or at least they did before the strike last year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They top out at 20 dollars an hour. They start at 10 dollars an hour. Costco has the highest paid clerks in retail and yes, 2500 a month is squat for a pilot. Let's not even mention being a teacher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cost of living in San Diego is a tad higher than Wisconsin and living on $2500 a month with a family would be difficult.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for job (anything) in San Diego [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Cost of living in San Diego is a tad higher than Wisconsin and living on $2500 a month with a family would be difficult.
Difficult? or impossible?

Quote | Reply
from my viewpoint, impossible! I'm single and can barely live off that, but then I kind of spoil myself! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have to agree with you on this one Kerri. Hell, I've even been tossing around moving lately. Just not sure it's what I really want to do, but to be able to buy a house with a Garage would be nice....

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for job (anything) in San Diego [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm starting the nursing program in January. At that time I expect to be living out of my car, as I'll only be able to work a max of 20 hours a week!! YIKES!!!!!!!!!! Once done with the program I too may head some where a bit more affordable!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cost of living in SAN DIEGO alone is much higher than Wisconsin... .

- kd (and cheesehead)

kestrel driver

DonorsChoose.org (!!!)
bogolight.com (!!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My Mom said last night to enjoy it while you can....because you can't always have the fun we have.

Sucks growing up, doesn't it??

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for job (anything) in San Diego [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I'm totally looking forward to living a very frugal lifestyle! :) It will be worth it!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not to gripe myself, but i think you are whining a bit here. 2500 a month take home is not a pittance, it just is not 100k a year like a lot of pilots are probably used to earning.

Topic drift but...

Yes for most professions but Mark was pretty reserved in his reply. Some other things to consider, are how many grocery sackers have to submit to possibily career ending medical exams every 6-months? How many grocery sackers first have travel to another city to get to work, then spend 2-3-4 (or more) nights away from home during the work week? Along the same lines, how many grovery sackers have to undergo numerous security screenings throughout the course of the workday? How many grocery sackers have to stop sacking groceries simply because they reach the age of 60? Worst of all, how many grocery sackers pay into a company funded pension plan for 20-30 years only to see it flushed down the toilet leaving company retirees having to deal with 30-40-50-60% cuts in reitrement benefits because some putz at the top of the corporate food chain an not figure out how to manage costs in current economy then leaves the company with an obscene golden parachute/compensation plan?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for job (anything) in San Diego [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had to do it all over again - can't turn back now to far into it. I would look into a career, that would pay me a decent wage and then see if I could find a job at that salary/wage in the smallest town with the lowest cost of living, that had certain standards, that I could find.

So many people are flocking to the large urban centres in North America. If you go the other way, it can really pay off for you in the long run.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question.. (For Sweeney)

I understand how much you'd like to help your son with a job, but why? Has your son listed on Monster? Does he have anything permanent with Reuters? Did he speak with HR at Reuters?

If you'd like, PM his resume to me and I'll ask my networking guys for help.

OT: I see discussions like this often (both in the boardroom, my gym and even while riding down Coast Hwy suddenly this topic becomes #1). I think it would be a great idea if we had something like a ST Employment Board.

Thoughts? And since I brought up the subject, I'd be willing to manage/moderate (with Tom's approval, of course).

- kd

kestrel driver

DonorsChoose.org (!!!)
bogolight.com (!!!)
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for job (anything) in San Diego [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't agree more. Could you imagine being a doctor in working in a rural area in Canada and receiving the same income as a city doctor plus the rural pay bonus? With the lower cost of living and the higher pay you would be laughing to the bank.

My job has required me to travel on business to the other cities in Western Canada. It amazes me how well people in these other cities live when you consider the vehicles they can afford to buy and the vacations they regularly go on.

(But I still think Vancouver is the best place to live in the world)

Prev Next