Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking For Input Regarding An Athlete Retreat Center
Quote | Reply
My plan is to build a house somewhere in the mountains of Southern California that would function primarily as an athlete's/artists's retreat center.

What type of amenities would you be looking for to justify spending money to stay in such a place?

If you have the time and inclination to throw out any ideas, it would be appreciated.

For instance..."Joe, for me to give you my money, I want the following. A king size bed. A sauna. A kitchen stocked with foods to make high quality meals AND high quality desserts. Roads accessible for riding, trails for running and a lap pool somewhere nearby if not on the premises. Room for at least 8 so I can host my training camps there. A spa. Something unique about the architecture so it doesn't feel like i'm just giving my money away to stay in some dude's house that doesn't promote a feel of being somewhere different. Internet access. Blah. Blah. Blah."
Quote Reply
Re: Looking For Input Regarding An Athlete Retreat Center [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All ST'ers should have a key for such a retreat!

Seriously: natural light plentiful, sound dampening wall coverings, sound system, big TV
Quote Reply
Re: Looking For Input Regarding An Athlete Retreat Center [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea about square footage, etc.

Will it have water, sewer, etc.?

Have plenty of fans, ventilation.....
Quote Reply
Re: Looking For Input Regarding An Athlete Retreat Center [tomd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Any idea about square footage, etc.

Will it have water, sewer, etc.?

Have plenty of fans, ventilation.....

Likely 3-5,000 square feet.

When you say will it have water, sewer, etc. are you talking about hookups if someone wants to bring a trailer? If you just meant in the house, yeah, it'll definitely have all the basics.

I'm an air balancer (google it), so you can bet the HVAC system is going to be nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>What type of amenities would you be looking for to justify spending money to stay in such a place? <<

Naked Swedish Doodes. Oh wait, that's Monty and Dan's place. ;-)

Sauna is good. Hot tub is better. Big kitchen with kitchen access at all time.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I'm just reiterating here, but for me the key is really the kitchen. I hate eating out (unless it's right after a big race). Who wants to go for a week of hard training and eat questionable food at random places. It would need to be a big kitchen. You could maybe keep some key things stocked (milk, eggs, fruit, veggies) and provide some space for people to bring other things (maybe little fridges in the bedrooms?). There would need to be a grill outside.

Hot tubs are great, but if I'm doing a week or two of epic training, I'd want an ice bath (cold mountain streams would work there).

It would be nice if you had accurate milages and climbing totals for various riding and running routes.

A large common area for people to hang out and talk. If you're at a training camp or something like that, you don't want to just ride your bike and then retreat to your bedroom (at least I don't).

I big TV or two to sit back and flip on sportscenter would be nice, but not necessary.

It might be a good draw if you had something unusual, such as an endless pool, or a vasa trainer. Something that most people don't get to use very often.

Sounds pretty cool, keep us apraised!

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking For Input Regarding An Athlete Retreat Center [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a pm with ironclm, (hope you don't mind) "That's really exciting!! Where are you thinking?

The other thing would be to have a set of definite routes ready to go for people who aren't from the area...both bike and run and probably a number of distance/difficulty options. I'm looking at going to Palm Springs in February and that's my concern....where can I ride, since I don't know the area that well.

Of course, wireless internet. Cool
But seriously, I'm thinking from the writing retreat side, not the athlete side. Internet access if you are working may be pretty important."

Right now I'm thinking Green Valley Lake, which is located at a little over 7,000' in the San Bernardino Mountains.

Having mapped out routes is definitely a biggie, as I imagine people coming primarily that don't live in the area. I mean, if you live in the area, why pay to stay somewhere else right?

A setting conducive to exploring one's artistic side is of the utmost importance. I want it to feel like time has stopped, such that ideas can flow more freely. Definitely looking to put people into an altered state, but legally of course Wink
Quote Reply