Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long drives to race and preventing dead legs
Quote | Reply
Anyone else have legs that feel like garbage after travel? Looking for some solutions.
Quote Reply
Re: Long drives to race and preventing dead legs [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For any long trips I wear compression socks, seem to reduce the dead leg feeling at the end of the trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Travel at least 2 days before a really big race.

Jog easy for 10 min every 3 hours at a rest stop.

Bring deodorant if not traveling alone.
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try to arrive at the city on Friday in the evening for Sunday race, so 2 day drive and about 6-8 hours drive on each day. Walking around on Saturday will give you enough time to loosen up legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, get there as many days in advance as possible. I drove from Colorado to race Wisconsin and had the most terrible race. Very heavy legs. Maybe even let someone else do the majority of the driving so you can wiggle around a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never experienced this. I have done 5 IMs & driven to all of them. Louisville (2x) is about 9 hours from me. IM Florida is about 11 hours but I broke that up into a 2 day trip (on the way to. Leaving after the race, I did it in 1 day but had a rest day in between the race & leaving Florida).

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how much are you hydrating as you drive? I drive from Denver to St G or Boise semi-regularly. You have to stop a bit more often for bathroom breaks but the breaks also help you shake out your legs. I'll do some light stretching / easy yoga for a few minutes at each stop. And when I get there, I try to go on a 30 min shake out run/walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as erin says, make sure to hydrate well and enjoy the secondary benefit of frequent stops for bathroom breaks.
I like to stop at rest areas outside of towns and do some light jogging and plyometrics, bounds, hops etc for 10min.
Compression socks seemed to help too.
Once there, an easy walk/run to remind myself I am in fact a bipedal animal and not a car-driving blob.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Last edited by: doug in co: Mar 30, 23 15:12
Quote Reply