Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long course cycling clothing for cold weather race?
Quote | Reply
Closing the season in Bend with Leadman 125, and am faced with quandary of what to wear to stay warm. By all reports, lake is generally quite cold (high 50's/low 60's), and air temp for first half of the bike will be pretty chilly. I don't have much experience doing cold long course races (heck, no experience), and want to stay as aero as possible while staying comfortable enough to not freeze.

What I'm thinking so far:

- Gloves: Some kind of glove is a necessity, as I get circulation problems when chilly. Don't know what kind, of course... Castelli? Not a whole ton out there I have found about which gloves are most aero.
- Top: Have tri-suit, will put on long-sleeved wicking jersey I used during rowing days. Fit is fairly good/snug, even if material is best in wind. Will certainly be better than a loose, long-sleeved jersey.
- Foot warmers in shoe: Can get them in there w/o addt'l windspace
- Some kind of cap for under helmet, or at least ear covers.

What I'm curious about:
- Socks: Having socks would be nice; are there any long/warm socks that would be less of an aero hit?
- Arm warmers under the top: In case it's *really* chilly.

I understand if it were an A race I should have done prep in cold weather, but it was a last coupla weeks decision to do the race, and it's more of a fun event than anything else. That said, thanks for advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Long course cycling clothing for cold weather race? [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toe covers on the shoes have always been a good sock replacement for me on cold race days.
Leave them on the shoes and they are a no time penalty coverage option.

For really chilly days I'd be more focused on a wind break layer on my core then doubling up on arm warmers. Something like the craft or PI windstop shirts would be a good option.

Enjoy the race. I'd love to get out there to do it some time.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Long course cycling clothing for cold weather race? [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always overcompensate when the weather is cold (happened twice when outside temp was in 40s to start), putting on either a jersey over the trip top or long sleeve wicking top, since coming out of the water, you are naturally colder because your top is wet. But time and time again, it dries up super quick and I start to overheat and have to stop and take it off.

Personally, I would go with tri top, arm warmers (so you can easily take off and stick under your tri top, while on bike if needed), short socks just to keep feet warm, short gloves, and a wicking head gear like the under armour one, so you can pull the ends over ears if have to.

edit* I probably have alot more body fat than you :)
Last edited by: auto208562: Sep 16, 14 13:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember right, I did Leadman 250 last year with tri shorts, tri-top, bike jersey, full on cycling jacket (castelli wind jacket), full length tights, full length gloves, and neoprene full booties. I wasn't overheated. It did rain last year (for only about 80 miles of the ride), and we got a little hail, but I still had serious issues trying to negotiate taking off my helmet (hands were too cold to move) and doing up my (speed) laces at T2. I remember my gloves were big and bulky (PI Lobster), and I tried to switch to a lightweight full length gloves and later regretted that (since they got wet). I would wear waterproof full length gloves for sure (I should have worn my PI PRO Softshell) . Those folks who tried racing in Trisuits came in blue and shivering. Perhaps you won't be so bad off in the 125, and good luck with the weather... but I would bundle up and worry less about the aero factor.

Good luck. Report back.

Quote | Reply
Castelli Gabba jersey - i wear it down to high 30's with usually a light base layer underneath, it breathes very well and it is not bulky at all like a jacket. Bets piece of cycling apparel i have ever purchased
Quote Reply
Re: Long course cycling clothing for cold weather race? [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everybody for the advice! I found a place to crash vs getting a hotel for 2 nights, so I might pick up the Gabba (has great reviews, and I need a good jacket for winter riding anyways). On the rest, it sounds like be safe vs sorry. After learning some hard lessons in my first HIM distance bike ride in a race on Saturday, I'll definitely play it safe. Weather is supposed to be 81 high/41 low in bend, local friend says that probably means I can expect mid-50's and lots of shade for the first half of the bike coming out of high-50's/low-60's water.

New plan:

1. Head: Breathable Skullcap
2. Body: Gabba jacket (bring light base layer just in case I feel super cold).
3. Hands: Full gloves
4. Socks: Something woolish

Will see about tights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the convertible which is great because the sleeves zip off and roll up very small and can both be placed in the rear pocket, you even see a lot of pro tour riders who are not sponsored by Castelli only wear this jersey in bad weather, they juts put black tape over the scorpion. It is the best
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toe covers over socks....easier to put on and often socks makes shoes tighter and your feet get cold from tight shoes.

You can always bring a gallon or 2 gallon ziplock bag to tuck under your top to act much like a vest and it is easily disposable depending on the temps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toe booties are a zero T-time, zero aero penalty godsend. No reason not to run those, they keep your toesies warm, and also dry-ish if there's any rain.

Full-finger gloves a must. Not sure which are more aero than others - wouldn't really worry about that.
Unless the air temps are in the 30's, almost any full-finger glove should be adequate.

Headband for under your helmet, to keep wind off forehead and ears is key too. Doesn't need to be very thick at all, just enough to cover some skin.
Don't need a full skull cap or whatever most likely.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply