Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Local Running races - Time to go underground?
Quote | Reply
So I got the registration notice for a local Mary / 1/2 Mary event recently - late September and a good time to focus on running as my own tri season ends -
then I saw the price - $95 for a 1/2 marathon!? I couldn't pull the trigger as it just felt like a waste of money. I don't have space for another tech shirt covered
in logos from the bank & grocery store, I could care less about the medal and schwag bag, I'm not going to win and it's just not that motivating.

How much more fun would it be to find 5-10 buddies, pick out a good loop, make a side bet or two on who buys lunch, Handicap it to your hearts content,
stash a few water bottles on the trail and have at it.

So here is my challenge to ST - gather some buddies, figure out a race among yourselves and post a Race Report back here. I predict fun, treachery,
and a race you'll be telling stories about for a year vs another grim slog on a course with a bunch of strangers. Post pictures!

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Local Running races - Time to go underground? [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And then the next year, after everyone hears how good it was, it will be 15-20 buddies. Then 30 - 40. Pretty soon you'll have a hundred people showing up and the cops will notice and ask what it's all about. Then, assuming you haven't ticked off the town that much you'll be forced to get a permit. Then you'll be forced to hire auxilliary police to work at the intersections, get insurance, secure parking, etc. Hey, where's my T-shirt? What about food after? Where are the porta-potties? Is there bag check? How much money are you donating to local charities?

Then you'll have to charge $95
Last edited by: JoeO: Aug 13, 13 22:01
Quote Reply
Re: Local Running races - Time to go underground? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
God, I'm such a cynic...
Last edited by: JoeO: Aug 13, 13 22:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the idea behind Fat Ass races.

http://www.coolrunning.com.au/...at_Ass_Is_And_Is_Not

They can be a lot of fun and a heck of a lot cheaper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not just running. Some pals & I were talking about this a few weeks ago for tris. Sure we won't have fancy timing systems and splits and T1-T2, but we'll get together shoot the shit, S-B-R our nuts/boobs off then grab a beer and shoot the shit some more. Call it what you want, but it's gonna save a bunch of entry fees.

If you're going to kick a tiger in the @$$, you better have a plan to deal with his teeth.
Quote Reply
Re: Local Running races - Time to go underground? [Tory1340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about the same thing. With an out & back, all you need is to set out maybe 4 water bottles @ 3,6,9,12 run with it for a 100 yards and set it back down for the return leg. Where I live there's 2 great routes both trace the Mississippi river the whole way. Probably 10X more scenic than 95% of the marathons out there anyway with some good rolling hills.

I was thinking that as part of my IM training next year I might set this up maybe around May right before the build-up in my IM trianing and a few weeks after my early May sprint race. I'd probably run it at about 90%, and just shoot for breaking 3 hours since I've only run 1 marathon before and always wondered if I could go under 3 (therotically should be easy given my best 5k and 1/2 marathon time).

Similarly, I really wanted to do a early spring HIM, but I don't think the budget woudl allow a trip and entry fee to NOLA for example. So maybe I push it to early May and just set-up a course near me and do it as a pool swim. I might evne get our YMCA to help support it. Heck, they coudl promote is as "pick on, 2 or 3" do a 1000y, 2150y, 28, 56 mile bike, or a 10k or a 1/2 marathon. Then set-up the courses as 2 loops.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not much of a race when it's your 15 friends running against each other. That's a spirited competitive group run which is fine but not's a race esp when you probably already know how you stack up against each other.

There's plenty of races that don't cost a lot, just need to look for them. I could get away never paying more than 60$ for marathons/halfs/15ks and $20 for anything shorter
Quote Reply
Re: Local Running races - Time to go underground? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look into Pearlizumi Unsanctioned Racing.
Quote Reply