Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Live coverage of Bradenton 101 (via Slowtwitch) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's hope DKT holds on for the win!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Live coverage of Bradenton 101 (via Slowtwitch) [qcassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
every course has its challenges. jordan's a smart guy, and you'd think he'd not make a wrong turn, that is, the course would have to be badly marked for that to happen. yet, if he's the only one who made that bad turn, it's hard to point fingers too hard at the race organization.

clearwater had its own issues, like, lots of people going to the hospital. probably that's largely an issue of course saturation, but i wasn't there. i'm going to call them as i see them, and i'm typically loathe to come down on the RD until i have all the data i can at my disposal. i believe i got quite a bit of criticism last year for comments a lot felt were not hard enough on the clearwater organization.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Live coverage of Bradenton 101 (via Slowtwitch) [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi, do you have any ideas on where internationally the series may be expanding to in 2008? Europe? any hints on countries if they are known?

It's tough to expand a business without customers. You'd have to hope that One-O-One has a huge reserve fund, because they're certainly not gong to make any money with only 150 racers. If the remaining three events don't start attracting people, I can't see how the existing series could possibly return for another year, let alone think about expanding to Europe.

It is, after all, a business - and based on the registration numbers (under 150 at the first event), a struggling one. One would have to think that their primary concern is going to be survival, not expansion.
Quote Reply
Re: Live coverage of Bradenton 101 (via Slowtwitch) [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but if they work hard.... it s possible to make it happen

when graham fraser bought ironman canada.... it was a very small race with a few hundread participant and the organasation was losing a lot of money....

but he had a vision and after a lot of hard work...... now... ironman canada is probably the most popular ironman in the world.... breaking the registration filling up time years after years..

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Live coverage of Bradenton 101 (via Slowtwitch) [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember Wildflower. The first couple of years they had less than 200 racers. Look at it today, 8000 racing this weekend
. It takes time and I beleive I heard they are committed to 5 years of races. One never knows
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi folks. Yes, somehow I made a wrong turn. I chopped off roughly 1800m on that first lap. The strange thing is that I then made the same wrong turn two more times without anyone stopping me (which is how I realized I was off course, I went through 50 miles - 80k - in roughly 74.5km). Then, realizing I was short, I was very careful heading into that area where I turned the previous times, and I saw cones continuing up the road. I am sure they were there the whole time, but as Dan said, oxygen is going elsewhere. So at the end of three short laps, and two regular length laps, I checked in with monty, and then the race officials, to double check my suspicions that I had in fact cut the course, which Monty confirmed. So I excused myself from the race, as the rules say cutting the course is an automatic DQ, and I couldn't figure out how I could really "rejoin" the race in any sort of fair fashion.

How I made the wrong turn the first time, I honestly don't remember. There were police officers at the intersection, so I couldn't tell you if I followed a hand signal meant for a car, or if I perhaps followed someone else, or if I just thought I saw a turn arrow and followed it. Again, oxygen going to the legs, not the brain. But I did, and since it was the first loop, I then just registered that turn as the turnaround, leading to two more "wrong laps." I don't blame anyone except myself. It was a bit of a disappointing end to what was shaping up to be, I thought, a pretty good day.

I will say that I'll be back here next year, and I'll be back for at least another 101 race this year, since the distance seems really great, and everything was really well run. Mistakes happen at every race, I just wished that I could have corrected the mistake on the first loop, but that's racing and that's life...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Live coverage of Bradenton 101 (via Slowtwitch) [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i recall the longest increment of time i ever faced was the interval between an aborted race and the departure time of my airline flight. just bite on an ice cream stick.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sportsmanship? - There you have it.

Good luck on your next attempt on the distance!

------------------------------
Another IM in 2016 - hopefully..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what s next??? disney half?

sorry to hear about your bad day.... that goes to prove that a loop course is better as you dont have to turn around!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can i have a pic of the TTX please?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, I will head to the awards banquet, cheer some people on once it gets a bit cooler, bust a monty a bit, and enjoy myself. I've got Disney in two weeks, and then Clearlake, CA is not to far a flight from Victoria, BC, so that may be an addition to the schedule. I'll be back (insert Governator accent here...). :) I just needed to hold onto DKT's feet on that third lap. I was right on them through 2-1/3 and lost them around a buoy as traffic picked up due to us lapping some AG'ers... A costly mistake, since had I stayed on his feet, I think I would have stayed on his wheel, and then I'd still be out there racing. Just a reminder of the importance of the swim...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Just a reminder of the importance of the swim..."

not according to this crowd. i tried to preach the swim gospel, and was reminded of how unimportant it is, and how if the pro men stopped spending time on it, they'd go faster. apparently bad swimming is the key to success, your experience notwithstanding.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would attribute the "growing pains" mostly due to the fact that a new course lends itself to unique challenges.
The "big boys" produced Clearwater, and while it was a long overdue development, has increased the spotlight on 1/2s, and is probably the favorite race I have ever done - it still had it's rough edges (car traffic, drafting, etc)

The big story for me about the fist 101 race is that dkt is about to win his biggest race ever - these small race hiccups will surely be fixed.

//semi retired - old school = http://www.iwilltri.com //
Quote Reply
Re: Live coverage of Bradenton 101 (via Slowtwitch) [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fresh off the course:

I'll be doing the internal SRM wiring when I get home before Disney 70.3. Other than that, no changes planned.

Last edited by: Rappstar: May 6, 07 9:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DKT is going to be scary in a few years....even more-so than he is now. He is a great talent and works REALLY hard, oh yeah, and he's smart!

Way to represent the midwest DKT!

BB

Professional Triathlete
Owner of Blake Becker Multisport Coaching LLC / Team BBMC
blakebeck@gmail.com
http://www.teambbmc.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you jordan

it s awsome looking bike.... i really like these TTX....

come hang out a bit in penticton... it s getting nice out here

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Just a reminder of the importance of the swim..."

not according to this crowd. i tried to preach the swim gospel, and was reminded of how unimportant it is, and how if the pro men stopped spending time on it, they'd go faster. apparently bad swimming is the key to success, your experience notwithstanding.

really funny considering Kona was won last year on the swim.

-----
"I do my best to slay" - Matt Pike
Last edited by: Buck Turgidson: May 6, 07 9:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
see, that bike wants to get to the finish line so urgently, it's prone to making early turns. i think that's what you have to look out for.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"not according to this crowd'

Dan,

Indeed, on ST, it's all about the bike! Nothing wrong with that, it's the way it is. Witness the frenzy over Bjorn's impressive win yesterday. See how threads on anything related to bike equipment and bike training will be on the front page of the forum for lengthy periods of time. Notice how threads on swimming or on wetsuits, despite myself and Emilio propping them up, get sent to page 3 or 4 rather quickly. Run threads do a bit better, but anything swim related get's forgotton about rather quickly.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Live coverage of Bradenton 101 (via Slowtwitch) [Buck Turgidson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"really funny considering Kona was won last year on the swim."

Not exactly. The conditions and the dynamics of the swim last year allowed, Stadler to be much closer to the front that he has ever been before. Not to take anything away from his glorious efforts on the day. He was outstanding and he was the winner. However, a combination of no real strong swimmers( Example: no Jan Sibbersen) in the swim, no one willing to really take it out on the swim and the currents allowed Stadler and others to be right there at the end of it. Next year it could be very different. It's a testament to how close the racing has become at IMH and how closely matched the top contenders are, that small things like what happened in the swim last year can have a dramatic impact on the overall outcome of the race.

Last edited by: Fleck: May 6, 07 10:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome race for DKT!!! Nice way to breeze to a $10,000 pay day! I know he's registered to do the whole 101 series...I wonder what his chances are for a clean sweep? :)
Last edited by: Uncle Phil: May 6, 07 10:45
Quote Reply
Re: Live coverage of Bradenton 101 (via Slowtwitch) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His name is Sibbersen not Sibberson. Not that important but an O instead of an E makes a big difference, Steve Flock ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike looks great Jordan...you should rip it up in Orlando. Do you think you could get DQ'd for the bike number being covered though?
Quote Reply
Re: Live coverage of Bradenton 101 (via Slowtwitch) [Jocke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the correction. My apologies.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan - so sorry about the mix up, but thoroughly impressed with the class with which you handled it.

Rachel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,
How much of the heat effect is physiology and how much is acclimatization? Would guys like Jonas and Bjorn benefit form more hot weather training? Did Bjorn's win yesterday have anything to do with his training up in the antelope valley or was heat not an issue at Wildflower?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next