Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lionel Sanders Show going on right now in Racine
Quote | Reply
Lionel was off the bike 8 minutes back from Starky after having a stellar ride. Now just 3 minutes back with 5 miles to go and currently running 1 minute per mile faster than Starky.

Quote | Reply
Such a stud.

It is not who is fastest on the swim or bike, but to the finish line.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Show going on right now in Racine [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's proving that every weekend.
2nd fastest bike to only Starky as well. Wondering if it was a no-wetsuit swim?

Quote | Reply
It's going to be close. Gap is 1:45 with 3ish miles left.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Show going on right now in Racine [Gervs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gervs wrote:

A lot of very studly bikers do not run real well. So you need the right balance to get to the end the fastest.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Show going on right now in Racine [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's made the pass. Win #3.

Quote | Reply
Is being down on the bike split by 8:00 in a half really stellar? I mean one might describe Starky's ride as such... Just sayin'.

Sanders has just passed Starky on the run. Wow.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Show going on right now in Racine [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:09:36 run split and erased an 8 minute lead. Dirty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Is being down on the bike split by 8:00 in a half really stellar? I mean one might describe Starky's ride as such... Just sayin'.

Sure, one might say that...if this was a bike race.

Quote | Reply
Please, please tell me his training will now focus on the 70.3 WC.

Javier Gomez, Kienle, Frodeno, Gambles, Potts, Sanders right?

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gervs wrote:
Timtek wrote:

Sure, one might say that...if this was a bike race.

I just never understand why some in a triathlon worry about a swim time, or let alone a bike time.

Look at Gwen also, like Lionel. All that matters is they balance their efforts to maximize the result, and getting to the finish line first is all that matters.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:

He's definitely headed there to mix it up with all the big boys. Not 100% positive he's done until then though. He still has 7 weeks until then and I think Steelhead may be on his radar still. That is not for 3 weeks from now. He seems to be recovering very well after this distance.

Also, is Frodeno definitely racing? Or trying to double? I had heard he had his eyes on Kona now.

Quote | Reply
Such a boss. He's going to be world champion one day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing! Agree that it's the sum total of all three disciplines that count, but nonetheless is he destined to go down as being the best 70.3 runner of all time?

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Show going on right now in Racine [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow.... if he could swim 2-3 minutes faster he might be almost untouchable. He swill still be hard to beat in MT... sort of a home course advantage for him too.

Hell, if he could swim a little faster, he'd be chasing the Gomez & Brownlees in ITU.

On a side note, for a little more entertainment, check out the mens 35-39 race. I think we're just missing Mark Harms in there. I'm just a little depressed I'm not in that fight today racing for maybe 4th or 5th. The bad news is that there are 3 waves, so those guys are spread all over the course. This is a clear example of where a AWA or some sort of qualifying wave (qualifying result within 12 months) would really pay off.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gervs wrote:
Also, is Frodeno definitely racing? Or trying to double? I had heard he had his eyes on Kona now.

Translated (roughly by Google) to English: http://www.asics.de/...asieger-zum-ironman/ Frodeno said, "Now, I focus first on this adventure. In the season still stands at the 70.3 World Championships in Canada and if it's going well: Hawaii!"

Which is a departure from what he said after winning Oceanside 70.3.

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gervs wrote:

No, I think water temp was 62F. But Lake Michigan is like a freshwater ocean. Current, wind, waves can all play a factor. You rarely see fast swims at Racine or Steelhead.

Even strong swimmers can have bad days there. Top age group racer Stubleski came out in 29:xx. Probably 2-3 minutes where he should have been. Maybe he got tangled with a back marker??? NBD, he's rode a 2:08 (through traffic) and is on pace for a 1:15 or so.

A 1:18 for Starky off a 2:00 flat bike is still very strong. Great to see his run improving this year. Or maybe he's even stronger on the bike but holding back just a little.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

See Lionel run.
Go Lionel, go!

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone notice Ivan Dominguez's first 70.3 appearance. Not bad if he can get that swim dialed.

Quote | Reply
Making sub 1:10 half ironman run splits a routine event. Truely amazing! I saw the finish line video of him and Starky coming in.. Starky was so done, he almost took out the camera. Almost looked like Lionel was out for a stroll when he finished! Can't wait to see how well he does in Tremblant!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Show going on right now in Racine [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Gervs wrote:

No, I think water temp was 62F. But Lake Michigan is like a freshwater ocean. Current, wind, waves can all play a factor. You rarely see fast swims at Racine or Steelhead.

Even strong swimmers can have bad days there. Top age group racer Stubleski came out in 29:xx. Probably 2-3 minutes where he should have been. Maybe he got tangled with a back marker??? NBD, he's rode a 2:08 (through traffic) and is on pace for a 1:15 or so.

A 1:18 for Starky off a 2:00 flat bike is still very strong. Great to see his run improving this year. Or maybe he's even stronger on the bike but holding back just a little.

Lake conditions wee damn near perfect today....really no wind and water was like glass at the start.

There may have been a current, I don't know. I swam about where I expected, maybe a touch slower, but I think the course was also a bit long (at least according to my Garmin).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:

Oh I think he has Potts and quite possibly Gambles covered now. And with still 7 weeks to go it looks like he is starting to dial the bike in so podium at very least should be a realistic goal for him. '15 should be HIS year though. We are all giddy over his run but give him another year or so and his bike numbers will be very nearly unbeatable I will predict.
And Kona in '15?! Can't wait for that shit show. IF things play out to plan the leader midway through the run will have to contend with the very uneasy feeling that he is being hunted down by a sub 2:40 runner

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Show going on right now in Racine [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
Timtek wrote:

Oh I think he has Potts and quite possibly Gambles covered now. And with still 7 weeks to go it looks like he is starting to dial the bike in so podium at very least should be a realistic goal for him. '15 should be HIS year though. We are all giddy over his run but give him another year or so and his bike numbers will be very nearly unbeatable I will predict.
And Kona in '15?! Can't wait for that shit show. IF things play out to plan the leader midway through the run will have to contend with the very uneasy feeling that he is being hunted down by a sub 2:40 runner

This just isn't the way triathlon works. Looks at 2 of the guys on the list, Gomez and Frodeno, you have a guys that have been working hard forever and have talent that was refined to the highest level + experience. Kienle has been in the sport since he was 8, looks at Potts background as swimmer runner, and the Gambles in the sport as well since I think 14. Sanders has been on my radar for almost a year, but he seems very new to the sport. Sure freaks of nature come around once in a while, but what he doesn't have is a ton of experience.

I had the privilege of Jordan Rapp chopping off both my legs on the bike yesterday - I was the only one to go with him when he came by. I paid the price, but would make the move everyday of the week. Later Sanders would come around and plow past and I had nothing in the tank and just watched him ride clear out of sight. Eventually Sanders would pass Rapp as well who didn't have the reserves to go with then either. The question is what happens when he rides up to people and they stick with with him and make him surge surge surge. He effectively raced his own race, albeit at a very high level, but there will be people who are strong enough to go with him and make him race tactics. His body may spend energy in different ways, his absorption may be different as well and there will be many other changes that happen. It is just like when Docherty wasn't challenge at IMNZ last year and then went to Kona.

Realistically, Kona is a different beast than all other IMs - almost a completely different type of racing. We haven't even seen him race IM yet. Some guys will never have it even if they are absolute monsters at shorter distances, they have too big of engines and they self-destruct at the IM distance because it is a game of patience, endurance and mental fortitude. We saw Macca go to Kona and be humbled year after year, Mark Allen as well. Despite what we think, Kona is just not a game of physical attributes. I think Sanders had some sort of addiction problem in his past. Maybe that helps him, or maybe it hurts him, but my point is that it is way too early to be thinking about Kona wins, and to do so is to disrespect the sport and the race imo.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Show going on right now in Racine [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I just never understand why some in a triathlon worry about a swim time, or let alone a bike time.

I wondered if a new scoring system has ever been floated out there? For example in waterskiing there is a formula based on top score for each of the three events (slalom, trick and jumping). The skier with the highest overall points wins the overall category..

So if applied in triathlon, each event swim, bike and run would be weighted equally vs the " work energy" or drag/time formula bias that now exists.
Water had the highest drag, bike due to speed second leaving the run with the least amount of inherent drag & the place to expend the most energy.

It's goofy really - we have great swimmers and bikers who are also good runners, being handed their ass in the run due this fundamental bias.

In no way taking anything away from, but Lionel is a great & impressive example of this fact. I also noticed this in our local race results. A swimmer in 81st spot scorches the bike and run for a podium. With a waterski-like scoring formula he'd move down the ladder to athletes that are more balanced across the three events - which is what tri is about imo. Hope that makes senses.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Show going on right now in Racine [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
Quote:

I wondered if a new scoring system has ever been floated out there? For example in waterskiing there is a formula based on top score for each of the three events (slalom, trick and jumping). The skier with the highest overall points wins the overall category..

So if applied in triathlon, each event swim, bike and run would be weighted equally vs the " work energy" or drag/time formula bias that now exists.
Water had the highest drag, bike due to speed second leaving the run with the least amount of inherent drag & the place to expend the most energy.

It's goofy really - we have great swimmers and bikers who are also good runners, being handed their ass in the run due this fundamental bias.

In no way taking anything away from, but Lionel is a great & impressive example of this fact. I also noticed this in our local race results. A swimmer in 81st spot scorches the bike and run for a podium. With a waterski-like scoring formula he'd move down the ladder to athletes that are more balanced across the three events - which is what tri is about imo. Hope that makes senses.

I don't think waterskiing is a good example

in waterskiing, you're not racing. you have 3 (or however many) events that are scored based off technique (or looks), not how fast you complete them..

some ppl don't look at tri as three separate events, but rather as one event with different legs, if that makes sense.
Last edited by: d00d: Jul 21, 14 11:01
Quote Reply

Prev Next