Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lionel's new blog post
Quote | Reply
Lionel has a new blog post up, first one in a while. He now has an endless pool at home, using it to focus on his swim technique. Puts in a SOLID set of 4 X 5km run with 3 minute recovery, averaging a little over 16ish for each. Training looks at track for ITU Long course and then Kona.

Check out his post at:

https://lsanderstri.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice to see the giant novelty cheque for 30,000 euros just casually sitting in the background during his rollers session
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy continues to be my #1 inspiration for the benefits of indoor training and to not feel sorry for myself by missing the outdoors. Hopefully that endless pool will do him good.

Aside from the pool though, I always find it awesome that he's got as homebrewed a setup as a typical AGer. Gives me no excuses for my mediocrity!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know if he changed his bike size when he was working on his fit? Seeing that old picture as the banner on his site is incredible to see how different the position has become
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked him on FB if he has seen any improvement in his swim since getting the endless pool and it sounds like it is already paying dividends. Really curious to see how this translates into race day performance. I also asked about his rollers, and he has four electronic settings that he can adjust to get the proper wattage, ranging from 100 - 200W to 400W+.
Excited to see how ITU Long course worlds go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) interesting to hear how he controls his breathing, most noticeably in the 2nd 5k repeat. he starts to lose control or lose that easy regulation in the 3rd and then the 4th is definitely a lot of work

2) his swim stroke looks quite a bit smoother than it has in the past

3) he is clearly under his coach's influence with that liter of chocolate milk in between his feet after that run workout!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing to watch him run at that speed
Looks so fluent
However; whats the draft effect of following a cyclist whilst doing that? He compares his time to 3 yrs ago; surely not apples to apples?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure i'd describe his run style as ''fluid/fluent.''

obviously not directly apples to apples, but 1min PER 5k is a pretty friggin substantial amount...especially on only 3mins recovery.

also, avg of ~5:40/mi for 26k is pretty quick.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Aug 21, 17 13:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the start of his run I thought he was on his first 5k but he was just warming up. I'm not sure I could keep up with him when he was on his 3min recovery!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will agree on the fluid / fluent run form (well lack there of) ... far from it considering the asymmetry in his gate (it's always been there)

What jumped out at me from the video:
1 - It has taken him years to see the value in the training of variable cadences (Then again he has been a late responder to advice / smarter training methodologies which did slow his development) ...

2) Says he didn't want to be a "hero"(?) with the run workout, yet ... runs 20sec per K faster than goal pace at a very high output. I guess he passed his test

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Aug 21, 17 17:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simply not human.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone think that was too strenuous of a run workout 7 days out from worlds?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:

He said he is all in 100% for Kona. The real question is that workout too strenuous 7 weeks out from Kona. I think we know that answer!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:

No,

He is doing specific intensity for 15 km at slower then what he can do for 30.

Maurice,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CementBottle wrote:
I asked him on FB if he has seen any improvement in his swim since getting the endless pool and it sounds like it is already paying dividends. Really curious to see how this translates into race day performance. I also asked about his rollers, and he has four electronic settings that he can adjust to get the proper wattage, ranging from 100 - 200W to 400W+.

One problem with the "Endless Pool" is that you don't have anyone in the next lane pushing you. Maybe he can improve with the EP but then again maybe not. Personally, I think having someone next you swimming just a little bit faster is highly motivational, even if they're only swimming 50 and you're going 500.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought he looked leaner / less bulky (muscley) then he usually does. That's a telling indicator of his prep for Kona imo, and I don't think his competition will be happy about it :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, his running style is not fluid at all, but I do like it. Reminds me a lot of Richard Murray's running style. They're similar builds, too, quite muscular and not tall. The run always struck me as being quite powerful.

Frodo's is bouncy, Brownlee looks like he's running barefoot on hot coals. I always go back to Crowie for a beautiful, smooth running style. He could push 5 min miles and look like he was out for a 10min mile jog.

Great video by Sanders though. I really love that kind of stuff and find it very motivational. There's a couple of really good ones Specialized did with Tim Don and Frodo that I watch when motivation is waning too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great video.

I like it that his training looks a lot smarter: easy swim, easy bike, hard run.
If you look at his older training day videos, he was smashing 6k swims, hard bike intervals and treadmill marathons...
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
CementBottle wrote:

One problem with the "Endless Pool" is that you don't have anyone in the next lane pushing you. Maybe he can improve with the EP but then again maybe not. Personally, I think having someone next you swimming just a little bit faster is highly motivational, even if they're only swimming 50 and you're going 500.

Doesn't sound like he's using the endless pool exclusively though. Having the mirrors on the bottom would be a really nice feature for working on technical stuff.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post from Lionel. There will be another bike rider in Kona to shake things up. This is a tough read because it's one paragraph but it's super entertaining.

https://cameronwurf.blogspot.com/...ng-road-to-kona.html

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
Great post from Lionel. There will be another bike rider in Kona to shake things up. This is a tough read because it's one paragraph but it's super entertaining.https://cameronwurf.blogspot.com/...ng-road-to-kona.html[/quote[/url]]

Man, that was a tough read, but worth the struggle. It's hard to get a read on Aussie humour sometimes, but he did make a comment on the possibility of Froome doing kona some day? It was a bit of a flippant comment, but you never know.

Also, running a marathon in shoes you've never worn before? To me that's a crazy risk to take when there is so much at stake to qualify for Kona.

Interesting read.

It's quite hard to read but Wurf seems to suggest Froome might be interested in Ironman when he's done with cycling? That could be interesting.

Also that he just plods through IM Zurich in a self confessed pathetic 8:45, then goes straight off to ride 10 days in the mountains with Chris Froome. Does a bit of catch up on his swim and run for a few days and then comes 2nd in Sweden in 8:08.

Are these guys even human?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why no audio on video?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [1Wavemaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crowie has some baller-ass run form! Lionel - not so much.
Which is interesting because if I'm not mistaken Lionel is sometimes faster in the half marathon.?

Wurf has been posting some interesting stuff in that he's training with Froome which is baller.. Either way can't wait for Kona!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
Crowie has some baller-ass run form! Lionel - not so much.
Which is interesting because if I'm not mistaken Lionel is sometimes faster in the half marathon.?

Wurf has been posting some interesting stuff in that he's training with Froome which is baller.. Either way can't wait for Kona!

Run form is usually optimally selected by your brain/spinal cord/cerebellum for distance running, and is specific for YOUR body shape/size and fitness level.

Plenty of variations in run technique, some of which would work terribly if you tried to transfer them to other runners, but which work amazingly well, even at world class level, for those that have it.

It's very different from swimming, in which you gain a lot of speed by fixing stroke inefficiencies here and there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next