Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel's new blog post [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard him say "150" Do you think that was his heartrate @ 16:20 5k pace? If so, that very effecient.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not so sure I'd brag about going to a training camp in an obscure place known for a lack of testing and with one of the most controversial cyclists...🙄 Oh, and that they share a coach. Nothing to see here.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard him say "150" Do you think that was his heartrate @ 16:20 5k pace? If so, that very effecient. //

Not trying to pick on you here, but I see this all the time. How would you know it is efficient, what if his max was 160? And before you doubt that number, I have know a world champion with a max in that range in his 20's. What if his max is 220? Then it is a jog. You see making blanket statements without all the numbers(his personal max) mean nothing at all, training numbers need context before you can assign any adjectives to them..
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I heard him say "150" Do you think that was his heartrate @ 16:20 5k pace? If so, that very effecient. //

Not trying to pick on you here, but I see this all the time. How would you know it is efficient, what if his max was 160? And before you doubt that number, I have know a world champion with a max in that range in his 20's. What if his max is 220? Then it is a jog. You see making blanket statements without all the numbers(his personal max) mean nothing at all, training numbers need context before you can assign any adjectives to them..

Just looking at this run file from 70.3 worlds:

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...world-championships/

His average pace was 5:23 min/mile ( that's a 16:45 5K), and his average HR was 148, with a max peak of 175 during a steep climb.

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev ... agree he has said he is all in for Kona ... BUT he refers to this as his "test" one week for ITU's ... he ran 20k's in that session in 1:05:??

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maurice

In that session he did 4 x 5k (so 20k) of specific "work"

That 20k of work took 1:05:?? (assuming my quick math is correct) which is about a 1:10 for 21k ... so you are saying he will run faster than that in Penticton for 30k?

Best,

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
16:19, 16:23, 16:24 and 16:05 if memory serves, for 1:05.11 total over 20k. 21km at that pace would be 1:08:26 or so...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for updating my brain ;-)

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't even run 1k at that pace.... yikes...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev ... agree he has said he is all in for Kona ... BUT he refers to this as his "test" one week for ITU's ... he ran 20k's in that session in 1:05:??

Keep in mind that that was 20k in 5k chunks with 3 minutes of recovery in between, that makes a big difference than 20k straight at that pace. I'd say Lionel's fitness is looking right on track, I am really curious to see how he does in the swim with the technique specific work he is doing in the endless pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
I'm not so sure I'd brag about going to a training camp in an obscure place known for a lack of testing and with one of the most controversial cyclists...🙄 Oh, and that they share a coach. Nothing to see here.

Froome is not controversial, Wiggo is slightly controversial, a true controversial rider is somebody like Valverde. Just enjoy the sport and let doping control do its work.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Let doping control do it's work"

Good one. In that case, LA is still clean with 7 titles and Marion Jones still has her Gold. Never failed a test...

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
mungub50 wrote:

Froome is not controversial, Wiggo is slightly controversial, a true controversial rider is somebody like Valverde. Just enjoy the sport and let doping control do its work.

If you don't think there are legitimate questions about Froome (and his team), you are not paying attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: I heard him say "150" Do you think that was his heartrate @ 16:20 5k pace? If so, that very efficient."

While watching the video, I took this to mean 150 meters remaining in the interval.

A viewer on YouTube asked whether he monitors heart rate during workouts or analyzes them afterwards. Lionel's response was "I used to but not anymore. Never really found it to be of much value. Perceived exertion mixed with power / pace I find to be adequate."

@Kid
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you also need to remember that he is in a very big block of training. So, yes, he did have rest in between, but it wasn't all out efforts. I have a little second hand knowledge from a reliable source that told me about this workout (4 x 5K) several weeks ago. Some of the bike workouts he has done lately (time/watts) are massive. His coach believes in intensity in every workout. The key, in my opinion, is having someone else around him that can ride with him...like SK. If he's close to him out of the water, I think those two can work together to real in some of the others out front. One thing I'll say - he's not going to get outworked leading into Kona. Hopefully he has a great taper and let the results speak for themselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:

And also this... "This year I've trained along side chris froome, richie Porte on the bike, sun yang in the pool, had tim Kerrison, Denis cottrell and Shaun Stevens there to guide me and more recently Greg welch has been there to offer the ironman specific knowledge none of us had."

He also talks about training with Sun Yang in a group coached by Denis (Cottrell) in his blog on IMSA.

Bike training with Team Sky and swim training with a group containing Sun Yang. That's not something I'd feel comfortable doing.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I didn't want to even go there. I started scrolling through past blogs and that was a mistake. A lot of "new generation of cycling" and "press should stop picking on Froome" nonsense.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
Maurice

In that session he did 4 x 5k (so 20k) of specific "work"

That 20k of work took 1:05:?? (assuming my quick math is correct) which is about a 1:10 for 21k ... so you are saying he will run faster than that in Penticton for 30k?

Best,

Pure 30km, not off the bike.

IIRC he ran 1:36 or so on a hilly road course in Hamilton when he was still an AGer (can't remember but 3-4 years ago) I would guess he's in better shape now.

Also wondering if he is basically doing a mini taper or training through this one for Kona?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
This is a tough read because it's one paragraph

Understatement of the day. Good lord; I know we can't expect our athletes to be Pulitzer-worthy, but learning the whereabouts of the "Enter" key might be a good start.

And in this case, while the stories are interesting on several levels, the writing...oooooof.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike training with Team Sky and swim training with a group containing Sun Yang. That's not something I'd feel comfortable doing. //

Why, do you think you might get a contact high? Don't think drugs are like 2nd hand smoke. And no doubt you have trained with lots of dopers, I'm only now coming to that realization myself from my days. I think it is perfectly fine for him to seek out some world class competitors in other sports and train with them. Not like he is going to be in a lane with Sun Yang anyway, swimming in the same pool at the same time is as close as they will ever train "together".

And if you are going to ride with just about any pro riders that have been around for more than a few years, don't do a nose blow because you will hit a ex- or present doper on either side of you, in front and behind. Now if he was some young up and coming newb who didn't know the score, I would caution him about what he might see. But probably not even then, you think any of these guys still pushing it are going to tell some complete stranger who never stops hammering them??
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
nice to see the giant novelty cheque for 30,000 euros just casually sitting in the background during his rollers session

At the very least you can definitely see the improvement in his house. Before it was just a room, now he's got a whole basement.

If he wins Kona he might even get a window!

(More seriously congrats to them. It looks like a nice place, and a very good setup to train)
Last edited by: timbasile: Aug 22, 17 19:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to add to what monty said, Yang goes down to train under Cottrell fairly regularly. It is likely that Wurf was training under Cottrell with a bunch of other (mostly) Aussies and Yang showed up, rather than specifically seeking out Yang to train with. That, and Wurf wouldn't even be in the same lane.

Cottrell has gotten heat in the aussie swimming community for training Yang, however.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I couldn't even run 1k at that pace.... yikes...

But, like me, I bet you saw him laying on the couch in the beginning of the video and thought, "I'd crush him at laying on the couch."
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's new blog post [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Simply not human.

Indeed.

Somethings don't appear quite right with this guy: his ability to run/bike at speed over distance whilst his style is more akin to pushing through treacle rather than a sight of athletic efficiency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chatel - obscure place? You think?

Chatel known for more of a lack of testing than somewhere else?

You do understand that froome (whether he is clean is a seperate discussion) has to notify his location every single day and that he is as likely to be tested in chatel or sospel (no doubt another obscure place known for its lack of testing)

Perhaps you should get an atlas.......
Quote Reply

Prev Next