Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Opinions
Quote | Reply
So what are people's thoughts on "the new rich kid on the block"?

Personally, I think it's the best darn thing to happen to Triathlon in a long time.

This sport deserves "better" than in the past. It needs to gain equal footing with other sports.

More people need to be let into the secret of how wonderful a sport Triathlon is. It needs to reach more homes and touch more people and encourage them to do something healthy, fun and rewarding.

Finally, triathletes need to begin to bridge the financial gap between them and most other athletes. I think most people would agree on the great amoun of talent, dedication and skill that is required to be a professional triathlete.

No exact numbers have been disclosed yet, though it seems like the overall winner will take home more than $200,000, with around another $250,000 to be divided amongst the other top 10.

So far pretty much "everyone that is anyone" in the Triathlon world seems to have made this race their top priority for the year.

It might have its faults (the telecast for one was just awful last year), but all-in-all I think its a huge step in the right direction.
Quote Reply
Re: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Opinions [Bearis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only concern is that they have seen the triathlon demographics and are in it for the short term. Remember the disasterous "Diamond Triathlon of The Stars"? Remember the "J David" days? Remember the "Bud Light USTS" days? Sponsors come and go. It would be nice to have one company stick around for a while as opposed to make a big splashy entrance with a lot of publicity and then disappear two years later. Hopefully Lifetime will be in it for lifetime.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
I agree, if only ... [Bearis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they get the tv coverage right this time. Last year was just awful. did I say awful, I meant AWFUL!!!

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
I don't think it matters as ... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they were the incentive to WTC to raise their purse last year in Kona. Interesting to see what WTC does this year in view of this, bet it is up again. Also there is Quell bidding things up. WTC is not going away and they won't lower their purse if Lifetime goes away. WTC wants to stay the big kid on the block but they can't if they are not the richest.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: I don't think it matters as ... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the grand scheme of things the purse dosen't affect my decision to participate. I go to a race for the course, the scenery, how much fun it is, etc. The prize money is for the pros. I'm a MOP'er.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: I don't think it matters as ... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bahram Akradi the CEO of Life Time Fitness, has vowed to make it the biggest purse. He has indicated that includes Kona, Quell or any other.

The $200,000 being talked about for the overall winner is just about double for last year's Kona winners.

I doubt Kona will more than double their purse this year. And if they do, it seems Life Time will increase theirs.
Quote Reply
Re: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Opinions [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems like Lifetime may be around for awhile. They seem to really like this gender-equality format, as they've sponsored a 10k with the similar format for the past two years, here in the Twin Cities. Last year the top guy passed the top gal at the tape. The money wasn't as significant, maybe $25,000 total purse. Enough for some Kenyans to show up as well as the top local runners.

Zeke
Quote Reply
Re: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Opinions [Bearis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking as a pro (albeit a long slow one now) what concerns me is that with a very limited field (25m/25w), how is field chosen? Qualifying? Resume? Draw straws?
I mean, if you want to get to Kona and take home $100k, you know exactly the route you have to take. Qualify, show up, go real fast, cash check.
When a race is throwing $400k around, being "objective" instead of "subjective" in choosing the field seems not only fair, but might make for less snags in the future of the event.
BTW, my concern is for certain "fast" friends, not myself. I couldn't outrun Empfield right now.

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
RIt seems to me ... [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that LTF might set up arrangements with certain "minor" races as "qualifying" events for the BIG event. That would certainly increase the pro participation in other events and get rid of the subjective invitation aspect of this race.

BTW, nice to hear from you Bobo.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply