Prev Next
Lieto's Ride for Kona
Quote | Reply

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto's Ride for Kona [jasonogk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Either there's no picture visable or he'll needs something more substantial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see it...looks pretty sweet. Are those zero gravity brakes?

Drafting is for the weak...

Tri2Hover...making flat coke since September 9, 2006.
Last edited by: mmakbenton: Oct 16, 06 6:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does he have CX tires for that thing? he might need them...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice...he'll be up in front, that's for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are his bottles mounted behind his saddle?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mat crimson version of the bike was much better looking.
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto's Ride for Kona [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure, Tom Hodge from Recovox asked me to post the photo for him!

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Graphics and color are ugly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you get a pic of Spencer Smith's bike, that will be far more "interesting"..
SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto's Ride for Kona [Gator1736] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it looks nice.

What don't you like about the graphics?

Just for fun you should post a pic of your bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto's Ride for Kona [king1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the rear mounted cages? anybody know what kind those are? I have the minoura and they stick out way to far

---------------------------
"This wheel definitely beat the 808 in this test, no question, and I do commend Hed on producing a really fast wheel...the wheel is fast, I am not disputing that." - joshatzipp on the Stinger 9
My Website
HEDmafia.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto's Ride for Kona [Red Devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know Tim DeBoom has a one-off bottle cage mount made for him by one of the guys in the machine shop at Trek. Given that 99.99% of the stuff on Lieto's bike is Trek/Bontrager (bars/brake levers/wheels/cranks/etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if it was another one-off from the folks there.

That's one of my projects for the winter. Having seen Tim's, I don't think it'd be too hard to make something that is a little neater in the back like what Lieto has. More and more of these guys have very nice, very clean cage systems in the back.

If you (or a friend) were handy in the shop, I think it'd be quite easy to make.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto's Ride for Kona [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto's Ride for Kona [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They had that bike at Interbike, it looked really cool. Granted it is still pink, but it looked cool

---------------------------
"This wheel definitely beat the 808 in this test, no question, and I do commend Hed on producing a really fast wheel...the wheel is fast, I am not disputing that." - joshatzipp on the Stinger 9
My Website
HEDmafia.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto's Ride for Kona [mmakbenton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, those are ZG's.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think the frame and bike look really sharp. and the simple paint scheme and graphics are vastly better than the new carbon cervelos, imo.

sadly, i think trek has really missed the boat on marketing this design. this frame appears to be a bit less sophisticated than the carbon cervelos in terms of aerodynamic features, but yet has many intriguing features of mysterious purpose (ones that appear intentionally designed). but yet trek makes few efforts to educate potential riders the value of the design features in terms of shapes, aerodynamics, carbon fiber quality, stiffness, weight of frame, cost of frame, durability of frame, or warranty.

and i sincerely hope trek is still busy designing the next generation. as i would bet good money that someone very successful is right now designing a no-holds-barred, non-UCI-legal aero tri frame that will be vastly more slippery than all existing UCI-approved tt frames.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto's Ride for Kona [Greg x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this frame appears to be a bit less sophisticated than the carbon cervelos in terms of aerodynamic features,

Why do you say that?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"i would bet good money that someone very successful is right now designing a no-holds-barred, non-UCI-legal aero tri frame that will be vastly more slippery than all existing UCI-approved tt frames. "

But would it be any more aero than a softride...
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto's Ride for Kona [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or a Zipp 2001, or a Lotus? My guess is we probably reached the pinnacle, or pretty close to it, in 1996 with the GT SB2 track bikes. Those were very slippery.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Lieto's Ride for Kona [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why?

the cross-section of nearly all the frame tubes that face airflow. and the trailing edges of these frame tubes.

but i am speaking a bit vaguely, only from what i can gather from a few photos, as i have not seen this frame in person. but i would also venture that this frame might have some big advantages over comparable carbon cervelos, but i have no idea what they might be.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply][b]this frame appears to be a bit less sophisticated than the carbon cervelos in terms of aerodynamic features,[/b]

Why do you say that?[/reply]

Because people say that about EVERY frame that is not a Cervelo.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It isn't apparent to me that the Trek is any worse than Cervelo with respect to frame cross sections, although it is really hard to tell from a photo. A slightly rounded trailing edge may or may not be bad, aerodynamically speaking.

I think the Trek and the Cervelo will appeal to slightly different consumers, much as Litespeed has created its own niche for people who really want Ti. I don't think Trek should be too worried about being able to sell this bike.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Lieto's Ride for Kona [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
easy to lump people together, ain't it? it is sort of like saying "everybody says that toyotas are higher-quality cars." and i am sure you heard lots of people say that about toyotas.

i guess it doesn't matter to you that they happen to be right ...

the critical question i would be asking is: why do people say that about bikes that are not a Cervelos ?

(for a source, i recommend the extraordinary book about excellence in industrial design and manufacturing, "the machine that changed the world")

Last edited by: Greg x: Oct 16, 06 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well...let us pretend (maybe we don't need to, but I will just to make this appear as a presumption instead of an assertion ;-)...that perhaps one of the engineers who designed the GT Super bikes happened to be the head engineer for a current successful bike company (who has been noted here as an innovator and leader in aerodynamics), would it be possible that he might just figure out a way to get even more aerodynamic?

I wouldn't ever say that they can't any more aerodynamic, as new materials and processes will allow for it (i.e. Felt's "thin" tube diameter on their new carbon frames). However, it will be interesting to see where they look next to cheat the wind ;-)

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next