Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Let's talk about the ability to absorb training load
Quote | Reply
47yr male with young kids here trying to figure out the fine line between overtraining and optimal training. My sleep really suffers since my youngest child hates sleep however I've managed to be able to train 2x per day (lunch and after work hrs) for about 3x per week and 1 training session on the other days. Ive been fairly consistent over the past several months and can usually tell when I need to back off or take a day off but I usually second guess myself and just wonder if I'm just being a pussy when I skip training. My A race is the Kansas 70.3 (now the Legend sponsored race) in early June and then I'll focus on building some speed for the Age Group Nats in Aug (already qualified).

Are there any other methods of improving one's ability to absorb training load aside from more sleep and PED's? Training methods, ice baths, compression? With the reading Ive done these all seem to have some benefits depending on who you ask.

Currently my training is BarryP's running plan at around 20 mi/week running and building, Trainer Road Sweet Spot Base low volume, and my swim workout usually consists of 2-4x per week over lunch with main work set 10x100's on 2:00 intervals and building this to 15x then 20x100.

I feel pretty good about my training compared to last off season and have managed to remain injury free. I need to do a better job testing for improvements and
making training adjustments from there to continue improvement.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice on absorbing training load.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about the ability to absorb training load [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While it might not be possible in your schedule, training early first thing in the morning could help you greatly with your sleep issue. then, training session at lunch time and you are done for the day. Many athlete sleep quality will suffer when training late at night.

As for testing, if you are feeling good about your training, enjoying it and feeling good; you dont need to do any testing to mesure ''imporvement'' simply learn to read through your normal daily session and see the improvement in those. The only testing that matter is competition.

From reading quickly, it really seems like you developped a decent program. Could perhaps be even more specific if designed as a triathlon program instead of taking from 3 different sources.

keep the good work!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply