Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lemond: "With his VO2max (78), he couldn't produce more than 375w."
Quote | Reply
This week in an interview with L'Equipe, Greg Lemond said:
Quote:
“When I raced, I had a VO2 max of 93, and I never developed more than 400 watts. Armstrong’s VO2 max, which Ed Coyle mistakenly revealed, was no more than 78. So, considering his weight - 73 kg, he could never produce 500 watts to ride up the Madonna as he said, or 475 watts on the climb of L'Alpe-d'Huez. With his VO2 max, he couldn’t exceed 375 watts. To increase his performance by 30%, he had to dope. But did he achieve his performance only with doping? What doping did he use that others didn’t? All I know is that there are 50-70 watts missing, which we don’t know the origin of. There is something that I still do not understand.”

I've never heard of a direct correlation between vo2 max and power at or around threshold. Is Lemond way off base here, or is there an actual documented correlation?

I mean, I know of quite a few guys who push 400+ watts (and with Strava, it's pretty easy to see what some top pros are doing to more or less verify that), but a vo2 max of 93 seems like rare territory indeed.
Last edited by: rubik: Jul 20, 16 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: "With his VO2max (78), he couldn't produce more than 375w." [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And yet they are still breaking records after cycling has been cleaned up.
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: With his VO2max (73), he couldn't produce more than 375w [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The minimal VO2max required to be able to sustain 400 W will depend on your maximal metabolic steady state ("threshold") relative to your VO2max as well as your cycling economy (efficiency). Lemond is therefore off-base by stating that it is impossible for someone with a VO2max of "only" 5.7 L/min (I.e., 78 X 73 divided by 1000) to be able to sustain 400 W.

Note that Armstrong's VO2max was reported to be closer to 6 L/min in an article published in Scientific American in 1996, which would make 400 W even more achievable.

Of course, none of this addresses the extent to which Armstrong's performance was enhanced by doping, but clearly he would not have needed a motor as Lemond attempts to imply.
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: "With his VO2max (78), he couldn't produce more than 375w." [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to remember that lemond is the only tour winner to not have a cloud of suspicion over him, all others you should doubt their performance.

He is the Virgin Mary of cycling.

Does this have to be in pink?

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: "With his VO2max (78), he couldn't produce more than 375w." [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Innuendo much?

I'm not much for Lemond's rhetoric or tone. It's sloppy, sophomoric, and overall petty. But I have no problem with raising questions, deeper analyses, etc. He's got data and analysis he's sharing. Is it newsworthy? IDK, probably not. But he's not saying you shouldn't question him, as you allege.

He's bookended at the TdF for decades by men who are known, documented, and admitted dopers. I, too, find that odd that nothing about Lemond has really ever surfaced. But I haven't heard from credible sources who have evidence that he was a cheat. -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: With his VO2max (73), he couldn't produce more than 375w [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the explanation, Dr. C.

I don't even know where to start with LeMond. To infer that Armstrong was using a motor, without any direct evidence is just wacko.

Armstrong has been thoroughly disgraced. It's long past time to stop bringing him up.

Lemons needs to move on.
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: With his VO2max (73), he couldn't produce more than 375w [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To infer that Armstrong was using a motor, without any direct evidence is just wacko.

I think it's a crazy assumption but do you see the irony in your post?

For years people said he and everyone else who suggested Lance was on drugs was just wacko and it turns out that the wackos were the ones who actually believed Lance. There was never direct evidence he took drugs until he finally admitted it.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Jul 20, 16 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: With his VO2max (73), he couldn't produce more than 375w [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
To infer that Armstrong was using a motor, without any direct evidence is just wacko.

For years people said he and everyone else who suggested Lance was on drugs was just wacko and it turns out that the wackos were the ones who actually believed Lance. There was never direct evidence he took drugs until he finally admitted it.

No, that is not irony. There is no evidence he was using a motor. Lemond is using bad data and making bad assumptions with it to infer something that there is no evidence for.
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: With his VO2max (73), he couldn't produce more than 375w [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

No, that is not irony. There is no evidence he was using a motor. Lemond is using bad data and making bad assumptions with it to infer something that there is no evidence for.

Further more battery technology improved so much between 1999 and 2010 (the first time talk of mechanical doping took hold), it's hard to imagine mechanical doping offered much benefit during the first his tour run.
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: "With his VO2max (78), he couldn't produce more than 375w." [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

shhhhhhhhhhh cycling is clean nowadays :)

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe he's suggesting that their was one of those "silent motors", being used in addition to doping, or maybe he isn't. However, it makes sense to me that if 50 or so watts was "missing", a motor might have been where they came from.........this is a stretch, I know.

edit. should have read previous posts before posting
Last edited by: aries33: Jul 20, 16 9:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lemond has an ax to grind with Lance... and IMO with good reason. Lance essentially destroyed him and his fledgling Lemond brand. I think Greg is a good guy with a serious physical gift... where MAYBE he was able to compete at a high level because of his freakish VO2. I could be wrong though, he could be a doper too WITH a freakish VO2. :)

I have a friend that was run out of cycling because of not wanting to dope and being a whistle blower... I think he told me Lemond was clean as far as he knew.

That said Greg is over thinking this one... Lance doped as did many others... that's how he exceeded his capabilities. Cycling is still a dirty sport IMO at the pro level for the majority of riders.
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: "With his VO2max (78), he couldn't produce more than 375w." [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

I doubt they're breaking climbing records from the doping era. ~7+w/kg for 45-60 minutes is now considered blatant doping and plenty were putting up those numbers back then (and just overstating weight not to rouse suspicion.) You just don't see pros putting up ~500w for close to an hour anymore. Froome is doing a bit over 6w/kg for an hour on some climbs which is not considered high enough to be obvious cheating.
Last edited by: Dunbar: Jul 20, 16 9:58
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: "With his VO2max (78), he couldn't produce more than 375w." [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 "Lance essentially destroyed him and his fledgling Lemond brand"

Greg destroyed it himself - publically naysaying the current star athlete from the same sponsor is never a good look - the company probably dropped him based on his detrimental lack of professionalism in the press - most contracts have a clause about it
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: With his VO2max (73), he couldn't produce more than 375w [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I do. But a stopped clock is right twice a day. There was plenty of evidence of drugs in the Peloton when Lemond made his claims. Many wanted to believe the fairytale, including me. There's no evidence of motors 10 years ago. Given the focus on weight (wrongly) at the time, and the lack of a reason for a battery, it's more than a stretch to me. When LeMond is making statements based on science (that a real scientist debunks), well it just feels like piling on at this point.

I'm interested in what LeMond has to say, I just wish he'd stick to what he really knows. His knowledge of tactics would be great to hear.
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: "With his VO2max (78), he couldn't produce more than 375w." [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:

Greg destroyed it himself - publically naysaying the current star athlete from the same sponsor is never a good look - the company probably dropped him based on his detrimental lack of professionalism in the press - most contracts have a clause about it

Lance certainly helped the Lemond brand demise. But, it seems to me that Lemond has had troubles with every business venture he's been in. Bikes, real estate, trainers. For whatever reason, it seems to me that he has anything but the Midas touch in his business operations.

Lemond seems to me to be all in on this motor in bikes theory. Going back to the Lance era doesn't seem to hold any water - the tech just wasn't there. Honestly, I think only a few have probably tried them - but I do think a few actually have.
The one positive is the junior woman at CX worlds. I think a lot of Contador's planned bike switches during stages the last few years seem a lot more suspicious now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one was really using lithium-ion batteries back then. That was the era of Lead Acid and Cadmium batteries, both of which held less energy and were much heavier. Not to mention they took up a substantial amount of space. I agree with others that motors were not really an option back then.

So either Lance was hanging on to cars a lot, or the heavy EPO dosages were enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: "With his VO2max (78), he couldn't produce more than 375w." [Dunbar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dunbar wrote:
jaretj wrote:

I doubt they're breaking climbing records from the doping era. ~7+w/kg for 45-60 minutes is now considered blatant doping and plenty were putting up those numbers back then (and just overstating weight not to rouse suspicion.) You just don't see pros putting up ~500w for close to an hour anymore. Froome is doing a bit over 6w/kg for an hour on some climbs which is not considered high enough to be obvious cheating.

Not to open up this stupid can of worms, but you do not recall the cloud over Froome in 2013? 3rd fastest time on record up Ax 3 Domaines (LA 2001 is 2nd), time up Ventoux matched the epic battle between Pantani and Lance in 2000. Wind is a huge factor in latter, but estimated watt/kg was ~7.2.
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: "With his VO2max (78), he couldn't produce more than 375w." [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
You have to remember that lemond is the only tour winner to not have a cloud of suspicion over him, all others you should doubt their performance.

He is the Virgin Mary of cycling.

Does this have to be in pink?

I knew many in the medical community who think he's a total cheat. All you need to do is read the old Sports Illustrated article when he was named athlete of the year. In his own words (not mine, so don't say that I'm falsely accusing him) he mentions how his soigner Otto Jacome diagnosed him as being anemic during the Giro in '89 and gave him an Iron treatment via IV, miraculously 5 weeks later his hematocrit is at a level to win the tour. It does not work that fast. THIS IS HIS STORY. But, yes, as he wrote today in Cycling News, miracles don't happen. He should know. I'm an MD, and have asked many Hematologists about his story and they all laugh and roll their eyes. Until he can show the world his old CBC's from back then, he should be treated as if he's under a cloud of suspicion. He's made himself judge and jury. Oh, and BTW, EPO was available in '89. ( not pointing a finger, just saying) I'm just so tired of him and the entire cycling press corp giving him a pass, when his own story raises serious medical red flags that just do not add up. Enough of his V02 max, where are the CBC's. Sorry Greg miracles don't happen, IV iron does not work that fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:

I've never heard of a direct correlation between vo2 max and power at or around threshold. Is Lemond way off base here, or is there an actual documented correlation?

http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/coyle.png
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: "With his VO2max (78), he couldn't produce more than 375w." [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:

I love revisionist history.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: "With his VO2max (78), he couldn't produce more than 375w." [tridoc3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he may have admitted to an IV to raise his red blood cell count artificially, but this was already cleared up - it was only vitamin B - totally legal

its perfectly normal that his TT speed record, set on the last day of the 3 week tour, lasted for 26 years - other riders just couldnt match his natural talent
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: "With his VO2max (78), he couldn't produce more than 375w." [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what was the actual chain of events then?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
what was the actual chain of events then?

When the Ferrari / LA relationship was revealed, Lemond said he was disappointed in LA and said "If Lance it clean, it is the greatest comeback in the history of sports. If he isn't, it would be the greatest fraud," he never made any allegations against LA, accused him of doping or anything else. A simple, accurate observation when asked about the Ferrari / LA relationship.

from there, LA went on the warpath against Lemond, verbally threatening him and going to Dick Burke @ Trek and pressuring him to reduce their commitment to the Lemond brand.

Well documented...go look it up.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond: "With his VO2max (78), he couldn't produce more than 375w." [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
of course I saw all that too, but to say "If he isn't, it would be the greatest fraud" on tv, is already casting speculation on Treks main rider, and totally unprofessional toward his sponsor. I understand if he has beef with Lance, but he cant be surprised if his sponsor turns and pulls the plug - there is no brand loyalty in his statement
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Jul 20, 16 12:54
Quote Reply

Prev Next