Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Latex tubes...brand? tape?
Quote | Reply
Latex tubes....Michelin, Vittoria, etc; What's the tried/trued champion here?

Looking for something to hold up to 1/2 Ironman and down races and what to use for rim tape? cloth? stans tape?
My front wheel is an 80mm deep dish and I run an old disk on the back (old being 2005).

Note: these rubes will be subjected to some hot weather racing.

tks
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes...brand? tape? [gammy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I ran Vittoria 25-28mm tubes with Stans tape on my tt-bike on HED Jet 9 SCT and Disc (both are the 23 mm rim). My tires are both 23 mm Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SC. Currently on my road bike I roll with 25 mm Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SC with Challenge cross tubes (28-33 mm) on 60 mm rims (28 mm wide) with Velox tape. I will be going to this set-up on my rear wheel for my tt-bike this year. I currently use Challenge tubes right now because those are what are given to me to use at the moment.

P.S. - I live in northwest Louisiana and ride all over LA and TX.
Last edited by: GingerAvenger: Mar 2, 15 12:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michelin Aircomp here fitted with Stan's No Tubes in my Hed Jets, no punctures over a couples of years. Also using Michelin on my Renn disc without any rim tape, no probs.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes...brand? tape? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jack, what width would you recommend for the stan tape...looks to come in a 25mm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What rims are you riding? I use the 21mm tape for HED Jets (23mm external). Have not had any issues with that in the past.

So scared of breaking it that you won't let it bend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gammy wrote:
Jack, what width would you recommend for the stan tape...looks to come in a 25mm?

comes in all kinds, i usually go to my LBS and see which one fits perfect, as they stock a few widths.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My lbs does not carry the tape..will have to be an online order. I run a flo90 upfront and an old xlab disc on the back....running 23 tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria tubes... 700x25-28 iirc. Happy thus far. Follow Jackmott's advice for installation. I'm using the tape that came with/on my HED rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may not need any tape on the disk since it has no spoke holes. Just make sure the surface is smooth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria Latex tubes and Veloplugs for the spoke holes.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes...brand? tape? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x1

Velo plugs are the ticket - light and provide a bit more room in the wheel for easier flat fix .......but carry a few extras in your flat kit in case one falls out when changing a flat. Also I put a drop of sew up mastic glue on each one so it will not fall out during a flat fix.

http://veloplug.com/

http://www.amazon.com/...f=pd_sl_2y7k12pyjk_b

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes...brand? tape? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The yellow ones are what I use for my HED wheels and they work great. They fit very snug, so they don't pop-out after they are pushed in. Been using them for several years now with latex tubes and have had no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wrote up a bunch of rim tape/install tips here:
http://austintriathlonstore.blogspot.com/.../01/latex-tubes.html

Thanks Jack! I'm glad somebody is posting decent instructions.

A couple things I'd add. Talc the inside of the tire also, and then shake and wipe out excess. Stick the valve in first. If the tube is a little stretched and larger around than you'd like, then split the difference and start installing it opposite the valve. Make sure the tube is not twisted or folded before you start putting the other tire bead on. Push the valve up into the tire a bit, so there is room under it for the tire bead. Many suggest that it is easier to start opposite the valve and end at the valve. After you get the last tire bead on and have checked to make sure that the tube is safely inside, then press down on the valve seating it firmly as you put in the first few strokes of air.

In all my years of using latex tubes, I've never gotten one pinched under the tire bead even momentarily. I do a quick check around, but I've never needed to adjust anything to get it in place. If it's a tight fit, I use levers too. I don't think I'm doing anything special and it seems really easy to avoid. Maybe it's talcing the tire.

Oh, one thing I wanted to point out... you say on your page that latex tubes will blow immediately if they are pinched. Based on the experience of others I don't believe that is the case, rather the opposite. A latex tube can last in a pinched state a long time if the amount pinched is small.

Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes...brand? tape? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
Vittoria Latex tubes and Veloplugs for the spoke holes.

I would 2nd the veloplugs for zipp AL/carbon clinchers, however, I would consider adding one layer of electrical tape over the plugs. I had an older latex tube fail at one of my perfectly installed plugs, I think the small bump and time and pressure made the tube eventually weaken and leak at that spot.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes...brand? tape? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it normal to run on tubes a little larger than needed when using latex? As mentioned above some seem to prefer using 700x25-28 on a 700x23c wheel...with butyl on a 700x23c wheel I have been using 700x18-23. Any pros or cons either way?
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes...brand? tape? [MNrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They way I see it, the larger the tube you can fit in the tire the better. Unless you are concerned about weight. Two reasons for me. First, at pressure the tube in undergoing less expansion that what a smaller volume tube would undergo. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I would think this would allow the tube to deform to a greater degree without pinching or ripping. Second, if you do have a puncture, once the tube has relaxed and the puncture hole has been re-sealed due to the properties of the natural rubber to expand and contract easily, you will have a greater volume of fluid on which to ride home. These are just my opinions so make of it what you will.
Quote Reply