Latest Masters Cycling Doper
Quote | Reply
Michael Buckley - multiple time Northern Cal/ NV "champion."

Go get 'em, Travis.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 25, 16 23:17
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Masters Cycling Doper [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/endurance-training/competitive-cat-1-masters-cyclist-supplement-questions-1476753.html

Quote:

Hello, I'm new to this thread. I am a 40 year old national competitive category 1 cyclist. I recently saw an age doctor who prescribed the following:

.5ml depo-test 200mg/ml 1x per week
.1ml HCG - human chorionic gonadotropin - /arginine 6x per week
.2ml sermorelin 6x per week
.5mg arimidex 2x per week
25mg DHEA daily
25mg pregnenolone daily
5g d-ribose before training daily
500mg microhydrin 1x daily before training daily

He also recommended 4500 velvet deer antler extract...I used before above cycle and had positive results...thoughts?

I will be tested in middle of May at Nationals, when should I stop this cycle so I don't get popped? USADA test

I'm reading about other stuff on this site I have never heard of before...GW, MK, S4? What is this stuff? I have thought about EPO, but looks way too dangerous. Any other stuff I should try that is somewhat safe?

I have been on this program for 5 weeks and have gained around 10#...not really great for a cyclist.

My main question is this: Am I doing this the right way? My goal is to get faster on the bike by May 2016, anything else I should do, or not do?
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Masters Cycling Doper [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome if this helped bag this guy. Occasionally there is justice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/endurance-training/competitive-cat-1-masters-cyclist-supplement-questions-1476753.html
Holy crap! I guess I should have known something like this existed, but still blown away by both the number and content of the posts on that board. Just became even more cynical...

BTW I've raced against this guy and know some guys on his team, but don't know him. I think nlsckevin may have been on the same team as him in years past (but not last year), so he may know more about how the guy got caught. Curious if they suspected anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Masters Cycling Doper [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
rubik wrote:

Holy crap! I guess I should have known something like this existed, but still blown away by both the number and content of the posts on that board. Just became even more cynical...

BTW I've raced against this guy and know some guys on his team, but don't know him. I think nlsckevin may have been on the same team as him in years past (but not last year), so he may know more about how the guy got caught. Curious if they suspected anything.

I've known him from the racing scene for a number of years. I had no idea. Frankly, I'm not sure if he was doping before. It is possible that he started after this season because of whatever reasons. This is based on third hand stuff, so who knows. I left the Specialized masters team a few years back to go to Folsom Bike. Buckley was on that team, but ironically, he and a few other guys left FB for Specialized so we were never team mates.

We chatted after TT natz (both elite and masters). He wasn't really happy with how he did. I showed him how to do a CdA test in Utah, but he never hinted of this kind of thing. Of course, who would right?

My understanding is that somebody saw that post and called USADA. I'm not sure what they did to trace it back to Mike, but that's why they showed up at his house at 6am in December. Note that some other guy replied in January. I wonder when USADA will show up at his door. If they haven't already.

BTW, do a search on cyclist or triathlete on that board. It's depressing.

Next time somebody starts a thread about how testing age groupers is dumb, send them these links.

http://bodybuilding.elitefitness.com/?s=triathlete

http://bodybuilding.elitefitness.com/?s=cyclist

http://bodybuilding.elitefitness.com/?s=ironman

It bums me out, but I can't get myself worked up about it. What good will it do me? I will do my best to train and compete. Some guys I race against dope. Most I hope, do not. Some of the dopers will beat me, some won't. Nothing I can do about it so I just worry about myself. It's just master's bike racing.

That said, I'm all for USADA testing the shit out of us. If nothing else, hopefully this kind of thing will put the fear of god into some people and either keep them from doping or make them stop.

Is there any trophy or jersey that you can win as an age group athlete that is worth what he has to go through now? What he has to explain to his co-workers, friends, relatives, his wife and kid??? Nothing is worth the shit storm that is now raining down on him.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Masters Cycling Doper [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish there was a fine so big for doping AGers, it paid for testing of 50 more people. "How much is the fine? As much as it cost for us to find you, asshole."

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Masters Cycling Doper [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Kevin,

Thanks for your input, my first thought was why the hell would they test some random AG cyclist in the winter? It would appear that maybe USAC and or USADA are actually using the "intelligence" intelligently, I think the thread about USAC allocating 100k$ to AG doping means they might be using that resource in an effective fashion.

Some how they knew, whether it was him on that message board or not or whether or not they suspected through other means. Anyways what would an OC test cost? in my mind 2-3k$ If they keep working in this fashion maybe they catch between 20-50 people for 100k$

It would appear that somehow they connect the dots or find someone willing to rat him out…or they have the power to access or demand the IP and personal info from the website.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, what a douche.
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Masters Cycling Doper [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was reported through the USADA tip line, pointing back to that forum post. That's why they did the OOC test.

I've known Mike for a while and we were teammates twice. I called him a couple weeks ago after hearing about this and we talked a bit. I told him straight away that it was really disappointing and reflected poorly on all of us, but would at least hear him out. After reading that forum stuff yesterday it's hard to have a modicum of sympathy for him and choices he made.
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Masters Cycling Doper [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That post on line was really from that guy? I knew Dopers were interesting, but, never that they were that dumb.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I can say is USAT & WTC are you watching and learning?

If they pop a few more athletes by sleuthing on these sites, it may actually serve as a deterrent!
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Masters Cycling Doper [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
themadcyclist wrote:
All I can say is USAT & WTC are you watching and learning?

If they pop a few more athletes by sleuthing on these sites, it may actually serve as a deterrent!

Yep!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This aught to put a smile on your face on a Sunday morning.

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/.../21/dont-pick-on-me/

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Masters Cycling Doper [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I follow his blog, pretty good stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just noticed the post after this one. Another 40+ masters replying to him saying EPO is the only way to go. Sigh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I just noticed the post after this one. Another 40+ masters replying to him saying EPO is the only way to go. Sigh.

I noticed he talked about pushing HCT to 55-56. If guys are really using EPO to go >50 seems like you could take a lot of small draws at races and just do a quick check for HCT level. Wouldn't be that expensive.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just had a masters rider busted here in NZ for asthma medications.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/...r-twizel-timaru-ride
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
That said, I'm all for USADA testing the shit out of us. If nothing else, hopefully this kind of thing will put the fear of god into some people and either keep them from doping or make them stop.
I think it just emphasises the need for anti-doping bodies to have far more resources applied to implementing investigative strategies than relying on increasing a mostly ineffective random testing regime.

But in reality the overall anti-doping resources worldwide are woefully inadequate for the task. When a single sportsman/woman earns more than a national anti-doping body's annual budget, well what can we expect?

The two best paid coaches in US universities are paid more than USADA's annual budget (not making any inference on those people, just pointing out the size of the "performance is king" Goliath versus anti-doping's David).

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Masters Cycling Doper [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:

Prednisone is a pretty common scrip for a wide variety of ailments. Some folks feel like superman on it, some feel like poop. It's one of those drugs where I start to question going the full monty on the WADA list for amateur parking lot crit athletes. When I starting looking for treatment for my EIA it wasn't the simplest task to figure out if some of the inhalers or meds I might be prescribed were on the list (generic names vs. trade names, TUE vs. threshold limits, Etc).

A Cat 5 making medical decisions based on a code designed for olympians seems silly. And saying "turn in your license" if you need prednisone to treat an acute illness right now (which precludes filling out and waiting for a TUE if you get approved) seems to be pretty far from the spirit of amateur athletics in general.

To me it would make more sense to shorten the list to the weapon grade stuff, and focus on OOC testing, we've all seen that unless people are dumb or careless you can be on a massive amount of stuff and still test clean at an event. Doing OOC testing on a wide swath of folks 3 weeks before States, Nats or Worlds would yield some interesting results.

Of course so would testing everyone who buys a one day USAC license.

FWIW, Buckley might not be the only fallout from that doping thread. The guy who posted the original question wasn't using the stuff Buckley got popped for.

3 Nats titles, 1 Nat record, 17 State champs. 4 wind tunnels. 100's of hours of testing. Still figuring this stuff out.
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Masters Cycling Doper [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:

I must be dense or something. I just recently took prednisone and I actually searched the WADA website and did not see it as prohibited. Looking at this article, I also searched terbutaline. Again, not found.
Now, after reading the linked article - I did find these substances on the NZ website.

Maybe NZ has a more restrictive code?

Quote Reply
Re: Latest Masters Cycling Doper [KR Bickel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KR Bickel wrote:
And saying "turn in your license" if you need prednisone to treat an acute illness right now (which precludes filling out and waiting for a TUE if you get approved) seems to be pretty far from the spirit of amateur athletics in general.

Prednisone is only banned in-competition. So your Cat 5-parking-lot-crit-guy merely needs to skip competition while the illness is acute and he's taking prednisone. No TUE required. I guess there is the case where the illness doesn't preclude competition. Maybe the dude gets poison oak right before masters nationals, gets prescribed prednisone.

But then he's not really Cat 5 anymore. I don't feel it's a terrible burden for the masters nationals guy to either do a little paperwork to get a TUE or tough out the poison oak.

That said, I've actually been a proponent of your WADA-light list of drugs. Could reduce costs. No one really cares about smoking weed or the hundreds of probably worthless drugs like DHEA.

But I've had a hard time coming up with specific drugs that create a big burden on recreational athletes. Most drugs that are banned in-competition are either rarely prescribed or prescribed for conditions where competition is no longer your #1 concern (e.g. if you're prescribed EPO, making a podium is probably no longer on your priority list, at least temporarily) . Those that are commonly prescribed are generally threshold drugs where you have to take more than the clinical dosage to test positive or are only banned in-competition. E.g. narcotic pain killers, Sudafed, many anti-inflammatories.

Quote:
The guy who posted the original question wasn't using the stuff Buckley got popped for.

Good point. Though he appeared to have the anabolic steroids covered, so 1/3. I had to look up the other two drugs, and one of them appears to be something to reduce the bad side effects of anabolic steroids (no masters cyclist wants 'bitch tits!', and the 3rd is some sort of other non-steroidal anabolic agent.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 28, 16 14:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These may be the best posts in that thread.

Quote Reply
Re: Latest Masters Cycling Doper [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:

Now, after reading the linked article - I did find these substances on the NZ website.

S9 Glucocorticoid in the WADA athlete's guide. Listed as a class of drugs rather than the specific substance prednisone.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 28, 16 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Masters Cycling Doper [Harbo99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome. As a 40-44 year-old possibly going to masters nats in TT, Travis is my effing hero of the day.

Edit: If that was indeed him, and not a brilliant troll.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 28, 16 14:47
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Masters Cycling Doper [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a bit of research and it seems to be banned as a "glucocorticosteroid" or "Glucocorticoid" but not specifically by name prednisone. NZ uses the WADA code, so there is nothing special about the NZ code itself.

If you are an athlete in competition with a NZ racing license you are under the NZ/WADA code. Sucks to get caught out using something common, but prednesisone is a reasonably powerful drug (steroid hormone) from my reading.
Quote Reply

Prev Next