Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Late IM Cozumel report
Quote | Reply
I posted this for my tri club and thought I would share here as well for anyone looking at doing this race.

Ironman Cozumel was my fourth full distance race and I am really happy with the outcome. In the days leading up the race the weather was turning out to be less than ideal. We arrived on Thursday night to strong winds, a rough ocean, and a lot of humidity. According to the race schedule, Friday morning was to be the only day allowed for a practice swim. Once I arrived everyone was informed that it had been cancelled due to red flag warnings so I just went back to the hotel and managed to do a short swim just off the beach. Not easy by any means with the currents and swells, but needed to see how a non-wetsuit swim was going to feel. On Saturday the weather was starting to improve and the only thing I needed to do was check in my bike and bags and get body marked. Coolest thing, while I was waiting my turn to get marked I noticed that right in front of me was Rutger Beke. Once we both got inked I was able to say Hi, wish him luck, and get some pictures taken with him. My wife was finicking with the camera and I apologized for holding him up. He just laughed and said "Tomorrow is the only day I need to get somewhere fast". Once he left Teha asked me who he was and I told her that he was the guy who was going to win the race and sure enough he did. Fantastic guy and I have been a fan of his since he ended up walking much of the Hawaii marathon a few years back. When asked why he did it he said it was because he felt it would be inconsiderate to all of the age groupers to just drop out because he was having a bad day. Serious class act and very glad he had such a strong win.
Race morning - Perfect weather. Water was calm, good cloud cover and temps in the 70's. Everyone had to get in the water from the enclosed dolphin enclosure which goes about 50 yards off of the beach and immediately you could feel the current and I needed to swim in place to stay on the bouy line. Once the cannon went off it was clear swimming with minimal contact. The first 500 or so was into the current and it felt like work to me, slow but steady work. Once we made the turn and got the current behind us, I could really feel it pushing me and just worked on finding a draft wherever I could. The thing that was amazing is how clear the water is, no matter how deep it got I could always see the bottom. Lots of fish, coral, stingrays, and divers below at every buoy. Came out of the water in 1:08 which really, really surprised me. I am sure the course had to be short as the current couldn't have helped that much.
Bike - Loved it! The ride consisted of 3 loops around the island with a 10 mile section on each that ran along the north side of the island with crazy cross winds. I saw no drafting on the bike even though there was reports of it. I managed to pass back over 500 people that had beat me out of the swim and felt great the whole ride even though I wasn't able to hold the average I was hoping for going into the day because of the wind. Nutrition was easy. One bottle of Carbopro, 4 enduralytes per hour, and gatorade and water constantly because of the humidity. Interesting thing about the gatorade made in Mexico though, it was the straight version, no Gatorade endurance like we get here. Not sure why, but my teeth really hurt after the ride, almost like they would if you ate to much candy. Crowd support was amazing. Both sides of the streets in town were completely lined with people cheering like crazy. One really cool thing I did was slide the empty water bottles to the mexican kids in town. You would have thought they were winning the lottery or something when they got one as they would jump up and down and have huge smiles all over their faces. Finished the bike in 5:51 which included one pit stop. This was about 15 minutes slower than I would have liked, but just couldn't muscle through the wind any more than I did.
Run - Wow! Didn't realize how hot and humid it really was until I came into transition. The sun was to set at 5 p.m. which reallyhelped quite a bit with the heat. Aid stations were set up at every kilometer instead of miles, so getting water and nutrition was much faster. Once I hit the half way mark I started doing the math in my head and figured I had a shot at breaking 12 hours if I could just keep it together and only walk through the aid stations. I have to admit it took a lot of focus for me to stick to that plan. The humidity was just killing me and there were a lot of people either walking or sitting in the aid station med tents by this point. Luckily I was able to hold it together and ran across the finish line in 11:56 with a marathon time of 4:44.
Aftermath - Ouch!! The med tent was full of athletes getting IV drips, but decided against going inside in favor of trying to get rehydrated myself. Picked up my finisher shirt, medal, pizza, and soda then headed back to the room for a much needed shower. As soon as I get back to the room, who do I see but Rutger Beke again coming out of the condo heading back to race site. We chatted for a few minutes about the race and I congratulated him on his win. Best part was watching him walk down the flight of stairs when he left. Single stepping each one just like me because of the pain in his legs. Glad to see that the pro's hurt just like we do.
Looking at the final results I am really happy with my day. I finished 334 overall which put me in the top 18% of the field. Not quite as fast as my Florida time last year, but the conditions were much harder here and I feel I raced a much more solid race. Would I do this race again? Absolutely! Great course, excellent crowd support, and beautiful vacation spot. Learning spanish would be a definate advantage though as it would be really nice to understand what all the Cozumelaneans are yelling at you as you pass by. If anyone is considering doing this race, let me know and I can answer any questions you might have.
Jade
Quote Reply
Re: Late IM Cozumel report [jengel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats for your race!

I did the same thing with my water bottles, their smiles...priceless!

I will post my RR soon...

jf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go Jeng..nice race.

Here's mine, a little different than yours but fun anyway:

Race Report
Ironman Cozumel November 29, 2009

The inaugural Ironman on the island of Cozumel was too much too pass up last year when I was on a triathlon web site and I saw a “secret link” that could get you into the race registration a few days before the official site opened up. I mumbled something to my wife about going to Cozumel next Thanksgiving and she said it sounded good to her so I followed the link and before you know it I was in. No small feat when trying to get into an Ironman these days. I was already signed up for Lake Placid but that was in July, plenty of time to recover and get ready again. No problem. Right……wrong.

Lake Placid went well but I had some cramping issues on the bike and run due to, I think, lack of training and trying a new gel in a bottle instead of my usual power gels. I got a little dehydrated but I got through it and had fun in the end as I always do. My family was there and even my nieces from California came and loved it. They may even volunteer for next year. It was a great experience and a lot of fun.

As I recovered from LP work got very busy and I never really got back into a regular training. I did the Iroquois Trail 100 mile Relay with my friends Mike and Dave, in September, but other than a lot of trail running in preparation for that, there was not a lot of other training going on. No problem, I’ll just do as much as I can and go for it.

My wife was supposed to come with me to Cozumel but as the race approached her mom was put in the hospital and she was not able to go.
All of my kids volunteered to come along in her place but there was a little thing called school that got in the way of me and their mother letting them come. So I was going solo. No problem.

It was right before I left for the race that I made a terrible mistake and sealed my fate for breaking any pr’s. One that I know better to do and if anybody asked me if they should do it, I would say no way. I bought a new pair of shoes and I never ran in them before the race. I walked in them a lot but I never ran in them. Big mistake. Very big mistake. Pictures to follow……..

Getting to Cancun from Newark was no problem and taking the bus to Playa Del Carmen was about an hour ride and cost $9. The ferry to Cozumel was another 45mins ( $11 ) followed by a 15 min. taxi to my hotel. ( $15 ) The shorter my ride the more expensive it got!
Cozumel is beautiful and the temperature was low 80’s the day I arrived.
The next morning I rode my bike down to the swim. The water was great but it was pretty choppy and there was a good current coming at me as I swam away from the dock. I made it almost to the first turn and turned around. It took me 30 mins. on the way out and 15 mins back. Fast current. The next day ( Friday ) the practice swim was cancelled due to waves and wind. Not a good sign for Sunday. A lot of the first timers were freaking out. I figured that however bad it was, it was the same for everyone, and there was nothing I could do about it. No worries here. We did get in a short swim on Saturday and the conditions were improving.

RR:

The race-
I left the hotel on the bus around 5:30am. 10min. ride to the start.
I got my tires topped off and checked everything on my bike. We started in the water and everyone had to jump or climb down the stairs from the dock. It was a mob scene trying to get everyone in the water by 7am so I waited until the end and then jumped from the dock about 3 mins before the start. I never heard the starting horn because the helicopter was right above us and I did see a few people take off early.

The ocean had calmed down and the swim was great. I pr’d by 9 minutes and so did everyone else. They moved the whole course in closer to the shoreline and the long stretch with the current did the trick. I got out of the water fine and headed for T1. A quick rinse to get the salt off and get some sunscreen and I was rolling. I was surprised when I saw how long that took me. It felt much faster. The bike was along the road that goes around the entire island and on the west side it runs right along the beach. It was a beautiful ride and I was averaging almost 20 mph until the second leg which takes you along the ocean on the west side of the island. It was pretty windy over there but after about 11 miles we turned to the east and had a nice tailwind for about 7 miles. As I got into town the crowds were building and the support from them was great. A few turns through the middle of town and past the finish line, and I was out of town again on the main road to do another loop. This is where it started to get hot and windy. Still not too bad and I had plenty of energy left. At mile 75 I started to get a few cramps in my inner thighs on both legs so I started to take more salt tabs. I was drinking Gatorade, water, and my Infinite mix.
By the third loop the wind had picked up and on the ocean leg someone said there were 25 mph gusts. I was down to 13 mph in some spots. Not exactly an easy ride. On the last leg into town the crowds carried us into T2 and off on the run. The people where great and even though I’m sure many of them had never seen or even heard of a triathlon before, they cheered like crazy and it made the race so much better because they did. It was pretty hot and humid to start the run but some clouds rolled in and there even was a sprinkle of rain for a few minutes. Also, while I was finishing my last loop on the bike the balls of my feet were getting hot. This is common for me so I didn’t think twice about it. I put a couple of band aids on the spots in T2 and I was off on the run. I got about 3 miles and me feet were killing me. I proceeded to run/walk the rest of the marathon. My stomach also was taking a turn for the worse and I can usually get through that but on this day it never really felt good. I looked for some chicken broth but there was none in site. I went from looking at a sub 14 no problem to struggling to keep it under 15.

I was on pace for a PR but that thought was soon gone and I just wanted to break 15 hrs. I hooked up with another fellow sufferer ( feet also ) and we stayed together until the end. 14:57. The marathon should have taken me around 5 hrs. I think my time was around 6:25.

For a first time event I thought it went well. The crowds were great and the course was beautiful. The 3 loop run was a little boring by the last loop but I don’t think they had any place else to do it without shutting down the whole island. The concept of special needs was not explained to the helpers very well and it was a hassle getting my bags. ( some people did not ) The aid stations were not stocked with anything extra and after mile 10 on the run the thought of another gel or power bar was not welcomed. I forced some Gatorade once in a while only because I knew I couldn’t finish without it.

Coming into the finish line was great and there was a band playing some Mexican songs and the crowd was still there going nuts. It wasn’t Mike Reilly, but someone announced, Jim Eggie, you, are, an Ironman!!!!! Wow, I am. I made it again. This was the toughest one yet and doing it without my family here was not the same. I also proved what a lack of training and some new shoes can do to your best laid plans. Still it was an Ironman and I got the medal and the coolest finishers shirt ever to prove it. I’ll be back to try for that pr but not next year, maybe in 2011. Who knows. It’s hard to let go of this stuff.

Nutrition- up at 3:30am- I had 3 Ensures, a banana, one Gatorade, ½ cup of coffee, a plain roll, one salt tab, and a gel 15 mins before the start of the swim.
On the bike I had 1000 cals of Infinite extra sodium, 6 gels, 2 powerbars, 1 banana, 4 bottles of Gatorade, and water in between.
And a salt tab every hour. ( 5 the last 2 hours )
On the run I had only stuff from the course.

What I would do different next time-
I would run in my new shoes before the race!

Sorry for length of this.

P.S. None of this would be possible without my family’s and friends constant love, support, and encouragement. You guys are great!
Thanks! See you in LP!

Pictures of my feet the day after the race are below. Don’t look if you are squeamish, they were pretty bad.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. Congrats on your race. Sounds like a great day.
Quote Reply