Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lance at RAGBRAI [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just watched Breaking Away a couple of days ago.
Everybody cheats Dad, I just didn't know.
Well, now you know.

Lance was the best when everyone was cheating. Would he have been the best if everyone were clean? We'll never know.
As far as being a douche, every one of my personal encounters with him were absolutely friendly and well mannered. He did once bust Ed Coyle for a stupid question and that was priceless.
Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by: Bio_McGeek: Jul 24, 13 20:15
Quote Reply
Re: Lance at RAGBRAI [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
I'll never understand the hate for LA.

I wouldn't say I hate him, but you might understand a general disregard after you have a conversation with a 7yo boy that was, previously, really impressed that Lance won 7 straight TdF's only to learn that he was a drug cheat. Thankfully, said boy wasn't disappointed or sad, he was pissed.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance at RAGBRAI [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mind Lance doing events like this as long as he's focused on his mission to raise awareness of surviving cancer and the implications of what happens when you dope in sports. If he does that the rest of his life, it can begin to make amends for how he mislead/ruined people during his cycling career. In my opinion, he's got some baggage that he needs to seek therapy for, but events like this can actually be part of the healing process for both him, his family, and the rest of us.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lance at RAGBRAI [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
gibson00 wrote:

I wouldn't say I hate him, but you might understand a general disregard after you have a conversation with a 7yo boy that was, previously, really impressed that Lance won 7 straight TdF's only to learn that he was a drug cheat. Thankfully, said boy wasn't disappointed or sad, he was pissed.

OK.....does said 7 year old boy also realize that the -majority- of pro athletes in most pro sports are also dopers? By all sports, I mean -all- sports, from ping pong, to golf to cycling to running to football to soccer to baseball to hockey to darts and on and on and on....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
Goosedog wrote:
gibson00 wrote:

OK.....does said 7 year old boy also realize that the -majority- of pro athletes in most pro sports are also dopers? By all sports, I mean -all- sports, from ping pong, to golf to cycling to running to football to soccer to baseball to hockey to darts and on and on and on....

Of course, no. But Lance was on the TdF coverage this year.
Last edited by: Goosedog: Jul 24, 13 20:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Oh, I forgot, lance is a jerk and was really mean to Betsy... Big freakin deal. Guess what, the majority of pro athletes are jerks with big egos, and most of them are gonna defend themselves when accused of cheating, even though almost all of them dope. <<

Exactly! He may be an ass. Who cares? There are lots of asses, including quite a few here.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lance at RAGBRAI [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's taken a long time, and may be I've missed a few posts, but it seems that a little bit of reason seems to be creeping in.

It's hard to escape the hypocrisy and hysteria that appears when drugs and LA appear in the same post. He doped and was very positive in his affirmations to the contrary and 'brutal' in the defense of his position. But that should not make him the scapegoat for all that is bad in cycling.

Surely, I am not alone in seeing the irony of 'worshipping' at Tommy Simpson's memorial on Mt Ventoux - a memorial to a cyclist who died from a lethal combination of amphetamines and alcohol - while at the same time making a whipping boy of LA?

Apologies if this has been said before, but I struggle to read some of the more long-winded posts and may have missed it.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Lance at RAGBRAI [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>Surely, I am not alone in seeing the irony of 'worshipping' at Tommy Simpson's memorial on Mt Ventoux - a memorial to a cyclist who died from a lethal combination of amphetamines and alcohol - >while at the same time making a whipping boy of LA?

Though I can see why you think it's irony, I think you're missing the point. Simpson is remembered because his death was tragic and needless. His death can be seen as the beginning of the modern anti-doping movement, the recognition of the destruction that doping culture can bring to cyclists, and a recognition of the need to rid cycling of that culture. Simpson died in '67 and the first drug tests appeared in '68.

Remembering Simpson has absolutely nothing to do with celebrating drug use. Nothing at all. There's nothing hypocritical about remembering Simpson and disliking Lance's behavior.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance at RAGBRAI [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
He came, they doped (he did not invent it) , so he so he doped (seems he perfected it and brow beat a few people to play in the system like a CEO of many companies who brow beats his employees into his vision), he won, he left, he got busted and now they are getting busted too. I'm not sure he is saying anything in this interview that is new to any of us, especially in light of stuff coming out of France today/yesterday (not that we did not know about them already).

I can understand that people hate him for doping, but personally I don't care that much if he lied or bullied, because I'm not the local morality police . He's not the first person in the world that lied and bullied. I've worked for plenty of folks who sadly have, so I understand that this sometimes come as part of being in a very competitive industry (mine is different from bike racing).....not that I like it either and in some cases I moved on to find employment elsewhere...but my industry is a shitload bigger than bike racing, so I can see how pro bikers would be trapped in a prisoner's dilemma.

I'm not sure if I'm being won over by LA's propaganda or the passage of time and new admonitions/news but I'm coming into line with the above statement. I've read the popular books about LA and still can't find the level of hatred some do.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance at RAGBRAI [mjcrna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did Trek move away from him? Thought he had some stake in Trek? Forgive me if this is a dead horse issue, just haven't kept up with it.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by BLeP [ In reply to ]
Re: Lance at RAGBRAI [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A memorial stands close to the spot where he died and has become a pilgrimage for many cyclists. Simpson was known to have taken performance enhancing drugs during his career, at a time when there was no doping control. Despite controversy, he is held in high regard by many cyclists, for his character and will to win

That is from Tommy's wiki page. So despite his known drug use which ultimately lead to his death, people admire his fighting spirit and desire to win. Him, who else had a fighting spirit and overwhelming desire to win.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Lance at RAGBRAI [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Simpson is remembered because his death was tragic and needless"

i think simpson's remembered because he died atop the mountain he conquered. the message, true or not, is: nobody ever fought that hard; nobody ever wanted it that badly. had there been no doping involved, we'd still remember him, and even more fondly, maybe with an even bigger monument.

i think what some people are trying to express here is that you can hold more than one thought about a person in your head, and that the subject in question can be the sum of a lot of parts, some admirable and some not admirable.

i was watching a TV commentator on the NYT's opining negatively on anthony weiner, the commentator wondering how the NYT itself sees the disconnect between its moralizing on weiner and its decision not to moralize on clinton during the 90s. the point of the commentator is that you can be base or reckless in one area of your life and quite sober and trustworthy in another, and that most people understand that, otherwise FDR, JFK, clinton, gingrich, vitter and a host of other philanderers wouldn't continue to be held in regard by their fans or constituencies.

likewise, lance is a complex character who's a jumble of attractive and repellant qualities. a lot of thoughtful people see that, and they have decided to resist the urge to come to an ultimate, unitary, up or down judgment.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Lance at RAGBRAI [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is everyone on this thread focused on LA, instead of RAGBRAI? Clearly I am not there right now or I would fill the thread with my pics of the hot liquored-up chicks on bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman....your statement applies to everyone on earth. We are all complex people with positive and negative attributes. It is totally OK to not like part of a person while admiring other aspects. I can say that about close family members and very close friends, forget about celebrities and politicians from whom I am 6 degrees removed.

I have found that is the best way to deal with people in general. If not you have to divide the world into "all good" and "all bad" buckets and by doing that, we lose out on a lot in life, because what ends up happening is when a person has a hint of bad he gets slotted into the "all bad bucket" and because of that, we miss out on th person's great attributes. In this case, the biggest loss is for the person who throws out the baby with the bathwater, not really the person being thrown out because it is probably better for him to not associate with the person doing the "throwing out" anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance at RAGBRAI [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
I would fill the thread with my pics of the hot liquored-up chicks on bikes.

That would certainly have a positive influence on this thread, especially from somebody who goes by "TeamBarenaked."

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

After hearing Michael Barry's confession, reading Tyler's book reading the Lance coverage and now hearing the string of confessions from others, what I see is a common thread between all these dopers. They grew up, dreamed of being pro cyclists and probably had a dream based on an illusion from the grandeur of Anquetil, Merckx, Fignon, Hinualt, Roche etc.

Then like all those guys who came before them, they arrive on the scene and they learn that to keep the dream alive doping is part of the "process"

If you are Lemond, you arrived, "just in time"...and could maybe squeek out a few Tour wins racing clean against guys on "minor dope". Then in 1991, you're looking at your SRM and you're doing the same power as 1990 or 1989, and you are off the back. Thankfully your career is coming to an end and EPO (as the saying goes today) was turning donkey's into race horses, but I'd rather explain it as, "turning clydesdales into race horses". Now big guys like Indurain and Riis who could never climb that well were going to win grand tours.

So now an entire generation of riders arrives on the scene and they find out that they can go on EPO and stay in the game, or pack their bags and go home.

If you grow up dreaming of becoming a doctor, you can go to Standford Medical school, do your residency and have a good living without cheating. You can go to Wharton, do an MBA and there are plenty of jobs in the world of business where you can play by the rules and make a good living.

But what happens to all these kids who did not go to school, dream of a pro cycling career, work their tails off and arrive at the door step in the mid 90's and learn "this is the process". As we are hearing from all of them, they chose to dive in work within the informal rules of engagement, rather than quite and go home. it's not like there are 200,000 other equivalent jobs where you can make $200K per year as you can with an MBA. There are only around 200 jobs for these guys.

Guess what, they screwed up, because they wanted to be pro cyclists so bad that they had no other choice...dope and stay in the game, or don't dope and go home (well, some chose not to and could race as a continental pro in North America).

You can hate an entire generation of cyclists because they happened to grow up at the exact same time that the pharmaceutical industry had come up with a drug that helped patients who needed assist with red blood cell production produce them. That does not get LA off the hook for brow beating his peers and his teammmates. I'll leave that to the morality police to debate.

But I can see how these guys ended up doing what they did. From my position, being a professional in a fairly well paying industry where there are a several hundred thousand jobs for guys with similar intellect and creativity, it is easy to shit all over these cyclists. But if my industry only had 200 jobs, I don't think my colleagues and competition would be quite so "level headed" and would "play by the rules". Everyone would be eating eat other's lunch just to keep their salaries. We already do that at the corporate level to stay in business, but thankfully don't need to do that at the individual level.

I don't think other pro sports are that different....dope and stay in the NFL or don't dope and be cut from the team. What does the kid who dreamed of being the next Tom Brady do now as he tries out for Michigan?

Best post on this (or basically any doping) thread.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't really understand the Betsy Andreu argument. Yeah, so he was mean to her - IMHO she made a big stink to reflect from her own husbands use and admission not to mention she still can't wrap her head around the fact that Frankie made his own choice and bed so to speak.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance at RAGBRAI [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At RAGBRAI, at least, I saw that he was riding a MOOTS frame.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal" -Rod Dixon
Quote Reply
Re: Lance at RAGBRAI [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"my bad for playing along"...

that's one nice way to express moral disengagement total absence of guilt don't you think?
Last edited by: Francois: Jul 25, 13 8:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trackie clm wrote:
>>Oh, I forgot, lance is a jerk and was really mean to Betsy... Big freakin deal. Guess what, the majority of pro athletes are jerks with big egos, and most of them are gonna defend themselves when accused of cheating, even though almost all of them dope. <<

Exactly! He may be an ass. Who cares? There are lots of asses, including quite a few here.

I resemble that remark :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Guess what, they screwed up, because they wanted to be pro cyclists so bad that they had no other choice...dope and stay in the game, or don't dope and go home (well, some chose not to and could race as a continental pro in North America).

Stunned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lance is a complex character who's a jumble of attractive and repellant qualities. a lot of thoughtful people see that, and they have decided to resist the urge to come to an ultimate, unitary, up or down judgment.
_________

Your thoughts are well put .... it has been rather amazing to me the venom of feelings here on ST really hating Lance .... and venom to others who don't share their hate.
I don't condone PEDs of any sort in sport ..... but Lance gave us all a lot of great moments in his time and I still watch lots of other professional athletes in many sports that clearly aren't clean. Interesting how he was singled out like he has been.
I'd ride with him anytime and share a beer .... people really need to lighten up :-)

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Lance at RAGBRAI [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois....your one word response is not really clear. Can you use a full sentence and explain your thoughts?

Not everyone here knows you and the angle you are coming from. We know you are not stunned that cyclists doped, so could you please use a full sentence and explain your thoughts.

If not, I tend to interpret this as the type snarkly remark, / low blow / bullying behavior on the internet that comes out on the Lance threads. Maybe I am reading too much into your one word response, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, ask you to communicate like a grown up man and elaborate.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know exactly how I meant it. And it's not bullying. And it is a grown up man response.
I'm stunned that you believe that. Make what you want of this.
Quote Reply

Prev Next