Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lake Tahoe cancellation and the 3 options. WTF!
Quote | Reply
I apologize if this has been covered in another thread but I just want to vent some frustration and confusion and maybe someone other there can possibly enlighten me or share their experience as well.

I completely understand the cancellation of Tahoe. The air was horrendous on Sunday. I made the best of it and enjoyed my boyhood Tahoe haunts with my family now that I live 3,000 miles away. I tried to make the best of it. Problem, is that at 11:30AM on Monday i got the email stating that I would get an email in 24 hours spelling out in what way those who were registered would be compensated. I was in the process of making my way to the airport to fly home when I saw this. An hour later I received the email spelling out the portions and stating the 3 options available to me. I immediately consulted with family and tried to register via the Active link for a race later this year (option 1). The link would not work. So I flew home and got in at 3AM. When I got to work and tried to register it says all option 1 (some 700 slots) are sold out. Is that really possible? Also, in the initial email it said slots would go on sale at 12:00 Sept 22nd (which had passed). Now the Active link says they will go on sale today Sept. 23rd but no mention of time.

Is all of option 1 really sold out? Is this an error? How do I contact Active by phone? I can't see, to find a number. Anyone out there having the same problem(s).

Kona Kev
Go Reston Area Triathletes (RATS)!
Sponsored by Hammer Nutrition, Bonzai Sports, and DeSoto
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe cancellation and the 3 options. WTF! [ktkva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you should contact wtc/ironman as they're known for their exceptional customer service
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kev, The 2014 slots do not go on sale until noon, eastern. please reread the email you received yesterday. the timing of the offer is at the bottom. in short, IMChoo does not go on sale until noon eastern today. Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Option 1 for the remaining 2014 races go live today, from the email I received:
  • Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga benefitting Crohn's & Colitis (9/28/2014)
  • IRONMAN Arizona presented by Waste Management (11/16/2014)
  • IRONMAN Florida (11/1/2014)
  • Ford IRONMAN Cozumel (11/30/2014)
  • IRONMAN Barcelona (10/5/2014)
  • IRONMAN Fortaleza (11/9/2014)
  • Sunsmart IRONMAN Western Australia (12/7/2014)

Last edited by: spool: Sep 23, 14 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe cancellation and the 3 options. WTF! [CEOIronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW - THAT'S customer service! Courtesy of direct Ironman CEO response! #impressive

And, let me add: a pretty awesome list of choices for those unfortunately affected by the tragic Tahoe situation. WTC gets rammed a lot here; but, on this - clearly - BIG kudos!
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe cancellation and the 3 options. WTF! [5430tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, keep in mind they're only allowing limited entries for each race, so be ready to register right when it opens.

IMCHOO: 100
IMAZ: 50
IMFL: 50
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe cancellation and the 3 options. WTF! [CEOIronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Impressive. Thanks so much. I didn't look for the different times allocated to each. The Active spot just froze up. Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

Kona Kev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good luck. I hope you get a race that works for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know its a really tough situation for the WTC. All of your resources were allocated and spent for this race. To be able to make something work for us all is great. Its really interesting how you handled the 50 spots for Kona. You offered them up to us as a lottery rather that doling them out to other races. I really appreciate that. It was a class act move.

Kona Kev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ktkva wrote:
I know its a really tough situation for the WTC. All of your resources were allocated and spent for this race. To be able to make something work for us all is great. Its really interesting how you handled the 50 spots for Kona. You offered them up to us as a lottery rather that doling them out to other races. I really appreciate that. It was a class act move.

I will stick my neck out on the line for this one. I don't think they did the right thing on the 50 spots. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of the people who would have gotten those slots by actually racing and qualifying would not take the slot if just given to them like in this situation. So what is going to happen is the vast majority of those 50 slots are going to go to people who never would have had a chance to get them in the first place. They should have added the spots to the races where WTC is allowing entry....AZ, FL,,,ect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One last question, how and when will you announce the lottery allocation of Kona slots for the Tahoe registrants?

Kona Kev
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe cancellation and the 3 options. WTF! [7summits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you. I myself have qualified and raced in Kona in '07 and '10. I thought the same as you when it was first cancelled. Having thought about it now, why should those who had no part in the sacrifice and expenses of traveling all the way to Tahoe benefit from its cancellation. They shouldn't. Those who were affected should be those who get compensated.

Kona Kev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually CEOIronman comes on here and makes himself seem like a turd.

But today, CEOIronman actually impressed me.

Good job today.

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ktkva wrote:
I hear you. I myself have qualified and raced in Kona in '07 and '10. I thought the same as you when it was first cancelled. Having thought about it now, why should those who had no part in the sacrifice and expenses of traveling all the way to Tahoe benefit from its cancellation. They shouldn't. Those who were affected should be those who get compensated.

Sure it affects those who were not signed up. I can give you a perfect example. 2 of my friends who were signed up for IMLT were pretty much shoe ins for qualifying assuming nothing out of the ordinary happened during the race. Those 2 people will now be racing AZ or FL and guess what they will be taking 2 slots away from people at those races. So yes, it does affect other people.

I respect your opinion but we can agree to disagree on this.
Last edited by: 7summits: Sep 23, 14 8:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have until October 15 to act on one of the three options. We announce the Tahoe lottery winners on November 14.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Those 2 people will now be racing AZ or FL and guess what they will be taking 2 slots away from people at those races.

You are assuming that IMAZ and IMFL contain fields that are the same level of depth as IM Tahoe. I would contend that IMAZ, at least, will likely be a much deeper field that IM Tahoe in any given age group - which means that what it takes to be a "shoe in" is significantly different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CEOIronman wrote:
You have until October 15 to act on one of the three options. We announce the Tahoe lottery winners on November 14.

I again want to offer my Kudos to you and the IMLT organization plus the Lake Tahoe Community. Everyone could have just said tough luck and legally
kept the money. So many on ST jumped to the conclusion that WTC would do nothing and attacked as usual.

But what happened? (As I said would happen) WTC has offered an amazing set of options for us athletes and has eaten a LOT of money!! Many hotels gave back full refunds
for nights not being used which they have never done and also did not need to legally do. The CEO of WTC comes here and answers questions.
A full and 70.3 are combined at Tahoe to keep the event going. And now lots of folks are going to either wear or buy more 2014 tahoe stuff to
wear with pride that they were at Tahoe 2014 Epic 2.

I know I am going to take up the WTC offer and try to go back and again beat tahoe for IMLT 70.3 2015 Epic 3!! And I see so many others who were there
to race who are all excited to not let Tahoe beat them as seen already on the IMLT facebook group.

So who is going to join us at kicking the butt of Tahoe in 2015? We just need the real ironman. Tahoe is not for the weak.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe cancellation and the 3 options. WTF! [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Quote:
Those 2 people will now be racing AZ or FL and guess what they will be taking 2 slots away from people at those races.

You are assuming that IMAZ and IMFL contain fields that are the same level of depth as IM Tahoe. I would contend that IMAZ, at least, will likely be a much deeper field that IM Tahoe in any given age group - which means that what it takes to be a "shoe in" is significantly different.

I absolutely agree that AZ and FL will have deeper fields and in fact AZ has probably the deepest field I have ever seen in the most competitive age groups.. My point is now they just became more competitive.

And I guess my overall frustration is how many spots are just given to people in general or carrots for special interests by WTC...lottery, certain races getting more spots to attract more participants, certain races getting more spots to crush competing races around the same time, good press (IMLT 2014 situation) ect. And look, this is topic has been a point of contention for ages so I am not looking to get into any sort of argument. It is just year after year, the whole Kona thing becomes less and less appealing due to circus it has become to get in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7summits wrote:
sentania wrote:
Quote:

I absolutely agree that AZ and FL will have deeper fields and in fact AZ has probably the deepest field I have ever seen in the most competitive age groups.. My point is now they just became more competitive.

And I guess my overall frustration is how many spots are just given to people in general or carrots for special interests by WTC...lottery, certain races getting more spots to attract more participants, certain races getting more spots to crush competing races around the same time, good press (IMLT 2014 situation) ect. And look, this is topic has been a point of contention for ages so I am not looking to get into any sort of argument. It is just year after year, the whole Kona thing becomes less and less appealing due to circus it has become to get in.

Personally, I gave it my shot for Kona last year and got my butt kicked. What I realized for me is I really could care less about Kona. It will NOT make any difference on my death bed. But the volume of training
I did took so much away from my family, and the risk of injury, I am finally done with it. I have purchased lottery tickets forever, but this will be the first year I do not make a donation.

Kona would be an amazing race to do. Just not something that my skills or interests any longer desire to go after. I much more enjoy short course racing and chasing TeamUSA spots.

WTC doing a lottery for everyone who was in the water at 6:28 for those 50 Kona slots is the best way, IMO. 30 folks also get a Austria chance for 70.3 WC.

Never again can some folks attack WTC, IMO, and say they do not care about their athletes.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe cancellation and the 3 options. WTF! [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, that's where you're wrong. There are plenty of people bashing WTC over this. They clearly went over and above to serve their customers but there will always be complainers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CEOIronman wrote:
Kev, The 2014 slots do not go on sale until noon, eastern. please reread the email you received yesterday. the timing of the offer is at the bottom. in short, IMChoo does not go on sale until noon eastern today. Andrew

WTC Takes a lot of crap from the haters on ST. This Sunday I will be racing my 9th IRONMAN race at IMCHOO. One of the reasons I am so loyal to WTC is because they deliver to my expectations. Do they have some issues her and there "Absolutely" just like every company. But the one thing that is overlooked is how much they listen to their customers. Andrew thanks for listening and thanks for taking care of the Tahoe athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
in fact AZ has probably the deepest field I have ever seen in the most competitive age groups.

Makes me wish I was there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance that you'll let the 2014 registrants upgrade/downgrade for the 2015 IMLT and 70.3 (with paying additional $ if you're upgrading)? Thanks for chiming in, it's great when execs step into the discussion, and kudos on the great response to the cancellation.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe cancellation and the 3 options. WTF! [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a fee for the kona lottery? Or just if you get selected?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7summits wrote:
I would venture to guess that the vast majority of the people who would have gotten those slots by actually racing and qualifying would not take the slot if just given to them like in this situation. So what is going to happen is the vast majority of those 50 slots are going to go to people who never would have had a chance to get them in the first place.
Personally, I like the lottery idea. It'll be an awesome gift for some, and, of course, a disappointment for others who would have qualified but don't win the lottery. My carrot comes with a caveat, the lottery slots that aren't claimed by IMLT & HIMLT option 1/2/3 registrants need to be re-lotted to other said registrants and not left empty. As you point out, there are people who will register but are not interested in a Kona or Austria slot.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply

Prev Next