Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lake Placid Visit
Quote | Reply
The main reason I wanted to write this post is to give a shout out to Kenny at Placid Planet Bicycles in Lake Placid, New York.

For the North Americans out there, you may have had some experience with this shop during IMLP. However, this was my first visit despite many trips to the area to visit my wife's family.

What I had intended to be a quick visit to check the place out turned into an initial fitting session and a hour long conversation on the pros and cons of bike fit (tri and road) and the value of many bikes out there. Kenny was very personable and made me feel comfortable the entire time, despite the fact that I had entered his shop wearing jeans and boots. He was very up front about his views on fitting and the likelihood of him being able to obtain the components that I wanted. He listened to my thoughts and made some great recommendations as to what would work for me (I have short legs and a big upper body).

I happened to ask about Cervelo bikes and so he put me on the Carbon Soloist to check out the sizing. I nearly fell in love on the spot, especially when he had one in my size! So I'm standing there, in between the P3 Carbon and Carbon Soloist... I'm mentally making financial calculations... hmmm...

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was very impressed at the level of knowledge and service provided while I was in the store. I would highly recommend their services to anyone travelling to the area for IMLP. I know he mentioned dealing with shipping and maintenance for IMLP competitors. My experience with the area suggests this would also be a great area for training as it has a great mix of mountains, rolling hills and valley rides to choose from. I look forward to trying the Lake Placid - Plattsburgh - Lake Placid century loop... when the temperature gets back above 30 degrees... in the meantime it's a warm fire and a pile of blankets for me.

Happy New Year Everyone...

Wanderer
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Visit [wanderer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rent a condo near Placid Planet when I go there for Ironman, and always, always stop in before the race. Kenny's helped me out a couple of times during race week in years past.

Lake Placid is actually blessed with two top-notch shops: Placid Planet and High Peaks Cyclery on Main Street.

Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Visit [wanderer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second your shout-out to Kenny. On the advice of a friend at work I went up there in November to purchase an aero bar for my Specialized road bike. He had me come in before they opened, spent over two hours with me finding out what my riding plans/goals were, fitting me, asking for my input all along the way.

Very nice shop, and I plan on visiting whenever I'm in the area. Great rides up that way as well...looking forward to a couple come summer.
Quote Reply