Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lake Logan Half helmet choice help please (elevation chart attached)
Quote | Reply
Looking at the elevation chart this weekend I'm wondering if I should go with my Javelin or scale it back to the Air Attack.

The reason is that I can feel a little claustrophobic with the visor on the javelin, and it fits close enough that I can't wear sunglasses with it. So I would be more comfortable in the air attack.

Given the climbing in the race is there still going to be enough advantage going with the Javelin to warrant wearing it.

Last edited by: Max Daddy: Jul 28, 14 15:37
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan Half helmet choice help please (elevation chart attached) [Max Daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the Oly 3 times. Use the aero helmet. Yea, there are a few climbs, but you will be down on your bars 90% of the time.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan Half helmet choice help please (elevation chart attached) [Max Daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a real aero helmet that you can wear.
[/thread]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where'd you get the chart? Don't see it on the set up events website
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan Half helmet choice help please (elevation chart attached) [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look on the event page. In yellow "Course Maps"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done the Oly 3x myself (which is the first and last 12m of the course), and I would stay aero 99% of the time. The only time you really needed to get out of aero is the climb on the last mile. The half course looks to feature one other climb at mile 40 but that is really it. The oly course is actually a pretty damn fast.

Good luck. I was to race the half myself this weekend but had a "slight" accident a few weeks ago so i will just be watching my wife do the half. Say hello to the guy with the broken neck in the neck brace...that would be me!
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan Half helmet choice help please (elevation chart attached) [godaddygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
godaddygo wrote:
I have done the Oly 3x myself (which is the first and last 12m of the course), and I would stay aero 99% of the time. The only time you really needed to get out of aero is the climb on the last mile. The half course looks to feature one other climb at mile 40 but that is really it. The oly course is actually a pretty damn fast.

Good luck. I was to race the half myself this weekend but had a "slight" accident a few weeks ago so i will just be watching my wife do the half. Say hello to the guy with the broken neck in the neck brace...that would be me!

Damn dood, that's no bueno. Did you do it biking?

Does this map make those hills looks bigger than they are? MapMyBike has the grades anywhere between 1-3%. Would you consider the run course "fast" even with the 1-2% grade on the outbound leg?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan Half helmet choice help please (elevation chart attached) [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
godaddygo wrote:

Damn dood, that's no bueno. Did you do it biking?

Does this map make those hills looks bigger than they are? MapMyBike has the grades anywhere between 1-3%. Would you consider the run course "fast" even with the 1-2% grade on the outbound leg?

Yeah bike accident a few weeks ago. No idea what happened (also suffered concussion along with transient amnesia). Actually don't remember anything about the day until about 8pm (was admitted around 10am). Headfirst into the pavement.

Anyways, the bike hills on the oly course (minus the last one) are nothing. Last one hurts. The half course looks to me much of the same with one good climb around 40m. Remember to check out the left axis as there some of those "hills" are 50ft gain over a couple miles, not hills. Here is my garmin elev chart for the oly bike:

As for the run course...depends on how much you cooked on the bike. I have run one of my fastest 10k splits here and also one of my slowest. It is a steady uphill the entire way up. Almost guarantee a neg split on way down. 95% shaded. Last year I had issues with the crown of the road aggravating my ankle. It is slopped pretty good. Half will be double loop so your run will look almost exactly like this, just x2.

Swim is always wetsuit legal and cold as hell when you get near the bridge on the way back (like a 10 degree drop).
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan Half helmet choice help please (elevation chart attached) [godaddygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
much appreciated. I thought I broke my neck in May. Was mountain biking and an overhanging tree clothes-lined me at the crown of my helmet. Didn't see it. Crushed helmet, concussion, ER visit. After being knocked on my arse and after sitting up, my neck was instantly stiff as a board. Still isn't right after 8 weeks and up until last Friday was going to throw in the towel on LL. Going to be a long day for me.

Get better soon and I'll definitely say hello if I see you.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan Half helmet choice help please (elevation chart attached) [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

And if you are going to have a long day..the forecasted high of 75 will at least make it an enjoyable tempature!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really sorry to hear about your neck. I got a concussion in a crash a few weeks ago. Thought I did neck damage for a while but X-rays were fine.

I know that sucks not being able to do anything, let alone worrying about your physical health. Heal fast and well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The event guide is posted now
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan Half helmet choice help please (elevation chart attached) [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not seeing, where?
link?
EDIT:
Found it-Event details tab near top next to course maps
Last edited by: franktheguard: Jul 30, 14 13:52
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan Half helmet choice help please (elevation chart attached) [franktheguard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% aero helmet. What a gem of a course. Touch short in all 3 aspects (didn't realize bike was advert as 52). Well run, pretty fast bike, nice little cross country run at the half way point, and the best cold water bath ever at the end. Getting out of parking would be my only gripe. Would definitely recommend this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great event. Aero helmet was the right choice.

Mile 39 was definitely heartbreak hill. I could have used another gear or two. Would change that in my plan for next time.

My gripes would be around the awards. One, it took almost three hours to get to it. Two, the awards looked like a complete afterthought. Some kind of ceramic ashtray looking thing that my 3 year old could have made. Three, they ran out and couldn't give me one. Said they'll mail it. But all of that is just weak.

Now somebody will tell me the awards are made in some orphanage in a third world country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the swim was almost 400 meters short. The race course volunteers especially on the bike were great.

Biggest area for improvement for me would be the parking. Arrived at the race site at 5:30 and it took 30 minutes to get in the lot and park. They should not have parked cars so close to the entrance and that would have allowed the cars to flow in faster. Alternatively their was an entrance to the old air strip down the road with a locked gate and overgrown brush that could have been cleared and used versus the entrance used.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan Half helmet choice help please (elevation chart attached) [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rockfish wrote:
I think the swim was almost 400 meters short. The race course volunteers especially on the bike were great.

Biggest area for improvement for me would be the parking. Arrived at the race site at 5:30 and it took 30 minutes to get in the lot and park. They should not have parked cars so close to the entrance and that would have allowed the cars to flow in faster. Alternatively their was an entrance to the old air strip down the road with a locked gate and overgrown brush that could have been cleared and used versus the entrance used.

What did you get for the run? Logically, it should have been on target (6.2 x 2 + the loop of the field) but my watch got it somewhat less than that?

Parking was definitely an issue. And they might not want to advertise the course quite the way they do given Stamey Cove ;-)

Still love the event though!

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan Half helmet choice help please (elevation chart attached) [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got 12.50 for the run. Not even close
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan Half helmet choice help please (elevation chart attached) [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully parking will be improved next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan Half helmet choice help please (elevation chart attached) [rbtripp5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbtripp5485 wrote:
I got 12.50 for the run. Not even close

Weird. I got 6.3 for the International last year but closer to 12.5 for the Half this year. The turnaround seemed to be in the same place but who knows?

Janyne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Loved the course. Thought the race scenery was beautiful. I got there a little before 5 and had no issue parking. I wish they would have noted that there is no cell phone coverage for the surrounding area. I had to drive out to where I had service and screen shot my USAT card from the mobile app and drive back. It would be nice if they could figure out a way to make it a true 70.3 too. I definitely plan on coming back next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice to meet and talk with Max Daddy and TimeIsUp this weekend. My wife enjoyed the race and I enjoyed the near perfect conditions for spectating.

As far as the run being short, that should have never happened. It isn't hard to extend the half turnaround to get the full 13.1. As others noted, the swim was a little short but i don't think it was 400 yards short. I heard one girl with a 910 say she measured 1.1m when she crossed the mat so maybe 200 yards short.

Getting out of the parking was an issue for the Oly people for sure, less so for the half folks but still slow. All in a all, they have some issues to address but for the most part, seemed like everything went pretty well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great place for a race for sure. Sorry I couldn't make it this year. Remember, GPS does not necessarily measure accurately in the water.
-

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply

Prev Next