Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LT testing -blood drawn VS. VO2 Max testing
Quote | Reply
I have an athlete whom we want to get tested to determine zones as we move forward. The only local facility conducts VO2 MAX testing only - but they tell him that they can determine his LT from this and thus his training zones. Can someone please help me understand how this can be achieved. Thanks

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: LT testing -blood drawn VS. VO2 Max testing [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't get LT from a VO2 test (unless you are also doing blood lactate testing) but you can detect aerobic and anaerobic thresholds during a vo2 test. You then use AT to create your HR training zones and paces included wattage zones for the bike if a bike test is done.

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Last edited by: jasonogk: Dec 8, 05 21:08
Quote Reply
Re: LT testing -blood drawn VS. VO2 Max testing [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VO2 max will give you an approximation of an athlete's Lactate Threshold by looking at the exhaled oxygen vs. the exhaled carbon dioxide. It works out that once the LT is reached, the body expels more CO2 than before (as compared to O2 expelled). When this information is plotted, the tester can find the 'break-point' in the CO2 production, and based on HR data collected, determine the HR at LT (and then calculate the zones). While this is rather effective, it would probably be more expensive to have a VO2max test performed than a LT test (blood-drawn) by itself.

Although prices will depend on the region and the lab taking the measurements, I would figure a LT test to cost ~$100, while a VO2max may cost well over $300 (despite working in a lab capable of doing these tests, I don't really know the going rates).

Both designs have their faults - the VO2 max test requires a tester who is experienced in determining LT to find it accurately, but the LT blood test uses al blood draws (of very small quantity, this uses a pin-prick) at each stage of the test, which tells you what stage caused the athlete to reach LT (giving a HR range for LT). That said, I've known many elite runners and cross-country skiers to rely on either method to determine LT and design training plans.

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: LT testing -blood drawn VS. VO2 Max testing [mckenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
emperically, LT and AT are essentially the same number. there is some theoretical difference, but for all intensive purposes, they may as well be interchangeable, and quite frequently used as such.

as for cost...i pay 140CDN for both a run and bike VO2 max test, standard rate through my coach (see sig). if you're paying 300 for a vo2max test, you're getting bent over and taken to school.

also..i've had both done...almost identical numbers, but i'll tell you i'd much rather do the vo2 max test instead of getting poked by a needle at 8.5mph and 6% incline...i wanted to cry like a freaking baby...mentally defeating and painful.

the vo2 max test is much more reasonable...and you get the added benefit of the really cool vo2 max number for bragging rights ;)

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply