Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
LA Tri Series #1 Roll Call
Quote | Reply
Okay, not expecting a big response on this. I know Longboarder is doing it. This weekend at Bonelli Park, San Dimas. Who's coming? Anyone know the water temp in the lake?

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: LA Tri Series #1 Roll Call [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The water is going to be very cold. I ran at Bonelli on Sunday and it was even cold crossing the creek. Given the weather pattern for the rest of the week there is no reason to expect the lake will warm up. Go prepared for a cold swim. My best cold water tip is to completely immerse yourself ,especially your face, prior to the start. It will take away the shock factor.

On another note, I see that Trievents has partnered with another outfit, Renegade Racing. They have also hired an outside timing company. That can only be a positive for this series. Lets hope the changes bring the races up to current standards. I would love to race at Bonelli again. It's still pretty steep at $80 for a sprint.

Gary Mc

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: LA Tri Series #1 Roll Call [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Gary. When you say "very cold" any ideas here? I am in the ocean alot since I surf, and did the 1/2 IM in O'side last weekend, and the water was around 55. Is it that cold or colder?
Yeah, some good changes in store for that series. I signed up back in Jan. for all three races in the series, which get progressively longer with each race, the third being Oly distance. The total was something like $230 for all three...not too bad considering prices for races here in SoCal these days!

------------------
Last edited by: TriBodyboarder: Mar 27, 06 17:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks Gary. When you say "very cold" any ideas here? I am in the ocean alot since I surf, and did the 1/2 IM in O'side last weekend, and the water was around 55. Is it that cold or colder?
Yeah, some good changes in store for that series. I signed up back in Jan. for all three races in the series, which get progressively longer with each race, the third being Oly distance. The total was something like $230 for all three...not too bad considering prices for races here in SoCal these days!

Judging from the weather and my experience I would think that mid 50's would be a safe bet. Should be fine by the May race, but the first of April the water has been cold every year that I can remember. I haven't seen anyone skiing on the lake at all which is a good indication of when the water is warming up.

Gary Mc

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to do the series this year as I won it last year, both my AG and Masters, but the second and third race conflict with other races on my board, namely the OC Tri. Russ will be there, though.
Yeah, water was cold last year, but it's only some 500 yards. No big deal. Bonelli races are my favorite. They're kinda whacky, but lovable.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna be there--all 3. I've got my red SoftRide TT7, silver T1 top and black TRES bibjohn. I'll probably have my head up my @##. First Tri since my achilles injury July '04

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plan to be there decked out in my Powerbar and Nestlé Gear. Please say hi in the 35-39 rack with a Cervelo P3 Hed Disc.

I have yet to meet a Slowtwitcher at a race spontaneously.

Swim can't be worse than Strawberry Fields. At least there are no waves or current.

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: LA Tri Series #1 Roll Call [MHCoburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last time I was there, the racks were a free for all. Not by AG.

Quote Reply
Re: LA Tri Series #1 Roll Call [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve,
No conflict with the OC Tri. I'm doing that one too. The third race was moved to June 10th.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: LA Tri Series #1 Roll Call [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Doc...last year was my first in the sport, but did two events at Bonelli. No security at the transition and yes, rack wherever you can find a space. As mentioned, these are more "grassroots" events. Very low-key, and a great venue IMO.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Jay said i'm in & my wife. Looks like a few ST people will be there. I did all 3 races last year. Won the series in my AG(I think I was the only one in my age group that did all 3 races...one way to win) I don't remember the water temp should be cold.... but mid 50's! There is no problem with doing OC & the last race of the series 2 Oly's in two weeks. Bike racks last year were rack them were you want no security but I don't think it's a problem. I like the races lots of fun & nice people. Hope to meet some of you.

Doc good luck nice to have you back.

Reply to:Russ will be there. No win for me in my AG.....j/k. He has a shot to take it.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Mar 27, 06 23:11
Quote Reply
Re: LA Tri Series #1 Roll Call [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Russ has never done the longer races. He opts for the sprints in #2 & 3. Might be different this year as he wants to improve his Oly speed after last year's disappointing 8th at Worlds.

It is the eptomie of grass-roots racing... no security in transition. In fact, at the first race, last year, someone was walking their dog through the racks and it crapped right in the middle of the run zone and they didn't bother to clean it up. My friend Todd won the pro race and when he got to the run turn-around, the kid who was supposed to direct the racers around the cone was asleep in his chair. Regardless, they are darn fun races.

I still wouldn't be able to do #2 - conflicting race. And, it's nice #3 moved, but I have my motto to stick to as well, "So many races, so little money." Gotta keep the number I do within budget (the kids hate macaroni and cheese.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya! I signed up for the three races when they had a discount going in January. Thought it was reasonable for three races, and I like that venue.
Russ did the Camp Pendleton Int'l Oly race last year...I guess that's the longest he does. My guess is that he'd stomp ass at any distance.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve

Russ told me about the worlds at the Palm Springs Tri. He got really bad cramps on the run. Last year he did stick to the sprints. My wife is a fan of Russ she is always cheering him on. What's up with that. He really is a class act, nice guy and very fast. He gave me some advice at series race #2. We were talking about going aero on the hill after you go over the Freeway. He said you should not be on the aero bars over there the time saving was not worth the crash factor. Race #3 some guy pulled in front of me on that hill I had my hands on the bull horns.....close call.

Hope to see you Sun.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jay

I think Russ has knee problems. He did well at Camp P last year. The weather guy said rain next weekend nooooo!

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take really bad cramps and 8th at World's!

Hmmm, I stay aero on that downhill and through the curve under the freeway and up the hill as far as I can. My advice is to not push going over the freeway before the downhill on the first lap. That'll put your heart somewhere near your adams apple and you'll blow up. The second and third lap are ok to push. The other spot to push is after the backside climb back into the park. Once you pass through the entrance gate, keep pushing as if you're still climbing and ramp the speed up before that big downhill inside the park. You'll gain a huge edge in speed on the downhill, where everyone else has chosen to relax after the climb. Everybody accelerates down the hill about the same, so if you already have a 3 to 5 mph advantage at the top, you'll fly past a lot and open gaps. Good Luck!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve

Reply to: Hmmm, I stay aero on that downhill and through the curve under the freeway and up the hill as far as I can. Last year we did not do that hill in the first race....... As for: The other spot to push is after the backside climb back into the park. Once you pass through the entrance gate, keep pushing as if you're still climbing and ramp the speed up before that big downhill inside the park.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That road before the hill SUCKS! Maybe they paved it. Another thing about that road is it make me sad. Last year I stopped to help that guy who died. I was not going to finish the race it took a lot out of me. I'm a nurse but it still gets to you. But I said if that guy went down trying to race I needed to finish for him. I know it sounds like BS but it's the truth. My wife was really worried because by the time I got to T2 every one was going home. Every time I pass that spot it gets to me. I still think about it before every race now.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Mar 28, 06 10:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right that applies only to #2 & 3. #1 goes over the dam.

That backside hill is a rough road and I wish they would repave it. The third time over it really sucks the last bit of energy out of ya!

I saw the guy that went down after the EMTs were there. Heard it was a heart attack. It's sad, but I'd rather go like that than slumped in front of the tube with American Idol blasting out bad tunes.

BTW: At our age, you never know... you know? I now write important info on the backside of my race number - name, address, contact info, blood type, insurance, ssn, etc., the stuff they ask you if you're conscious.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the race series that Bill Fulton and I started 23 years ago. I talked a bit about in the Souza thread here on the front page right now, if you haven't already read it..This is a grass roots race, that still has a bit of the old school flavor to it. Ya, we don't number the racks, first come, first served. The first two years we didn't even have racks, you just layed your bike on the ground. It's not high security, stuff doesn't get stolen, people don't drown, and the water is cold in April. This is the series that many of the old pros cut their teeth on, and is one hell of a tough course, with spectacular scenery for the LA area. I will try and make one of the later races this year myself, I really miss that place..

Everyone have a great race there, hope to see you later in the series....

Monty
Quote Reply
Re: LA Tri Series #1 Roll Call [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool Monty. Hope to see you at one of them, and thanks for the history!

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reply to: Heard it was a heart attack. It's sad, but I'd rather go like that than slumped in front of the tube with American Idol blasting out bad tunes.

BTW: At our age, you never know... you know? I now write important info on the backside of my race number - name, address, contact info, blood type, insurance, ssn, etc., the stuff they ask you if you're conscious

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree. People I worked with asked me after the stories about the two guys with MI's at the LA Marathon. If I was worried it could happen to me. I told them I would rather die doing a race, going balls out down a mountain,surfing or having sex....Thats how I want to go.

Your right I put lots of info on my race #. Every one should. Look what happen to Brian Fong... Shit happens.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty

Thanks for the info. I will have to read your story later time to train. Hope to see you at one of the races.... even if you are in my AG.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Mar 28, 06 10:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, Monty, I've struck out. Any suggestions on what to do for bike clothing and T1 with the race start in the 40's/

Quote Reply
Re: LA Tri Series #1 Roll Call [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would wera a long sleeve poly pro turtle neck top under the wetsuit. It will help in the water and out on the bike. Leave it on for the run if it stays cold, otherwise ditch it on the run. That is the exact thing I did at Oceanside last week. Use vaseline on the feet, face, and exposed skin areas, but keep it off your hands and goggles. Go with a head band for ear warmers, and some full cover gloves if you have trouble with your hands....Vaseline the legs if going with shorts, othersiwe use lycra leg warmers, and wear them under the wetsuit....Good luck....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muchimas gracias. Better get myself a polypro turtle neck from Sport chalet. I need one anyway. Hope to see you at one of the other races. Just don't humiliate me too badly. Luckily, I'm too old for your AG.

Quote Reply

Prev Next