Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kurt Rock and Roll trainer more comfortable?
Quote | Reply
Will a Kurt Rock and Roll trainer be more comfortable for my butt/etc than a normal trainer that doesn't allow motion? I'm not concerned about chafing - I have no problem with that, but general pain/numbness.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Rock and Roll trainer more comfortable? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked similar and half the people said R&R is awesome and half hated it, so I ended up avoiding it. Maybe see if you can test it someplace?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So kind of a back-door.... something... I've owned a lot of trainers. Started on a Cycleops fluid, went to a KK Road Machine, turned that into Rock 'n Roll, went the erg route and tried a Powerbeam Pro, sold that and went back to the Rock n' Roll, recently saw and bought a powerbeam pro mated to a Rock 'n Roll frame, and... because my residence is apparently a wireless black hole... recently bought a computrainer which I am very happy with. I also have a friend with a Kickr.... and I have a cheap set of rollers. Yes, I have poured money into trainers something I never intended to do but... whatever, I have my own justifications and I might as well share my $0.02

In my opinion, the Rock n Roll IS more comfortable for longer sessions. Why? I don't know. With that said, there are a few caveats:
-it's a pain in the ass to set up initially. If your wheel and riser block isn't perfectly centered your bike will have an annoying lean to one side or the other. If your floor isn't really close to level from left to right this becomes very difficult to remediate.
-if your pedal stroke isn't reasonably smooth you'll bob a bit up and down on the bike. Personally I think this is a good thing. It forces you to smooth it out a bit.

I would imagine most of the people who have a negative opinion of the Rock n Roll ran into one of those two issues or simply didn't ride it for long enough to notice. That's something else I should note. You're not going to notice much of a difference on a one hour ride. To me, the difference in comfort became apparent when I started doing ~2hr sessions.

A few other notes:
-in my opinion, the KK fluid unit is superb. It seems bomb-proof and the resistance curve seems pretty consistent. It uses a fluid (forget what type) that's not as sensitive to temperature changes as those found in other fluid trainers.
-InRide is a cheap way to start training with power and the new InRide app is actually pretty decent.
-heavy flywheel. I like that.
-very quiet. My drivetrain makes way more noise than the trainer itself.

Feel free to answer any questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get rollers :)
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Rock and Roll trainer more comfortable? [Danielg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. I've owned many trainers over the years, including a Kurt Road Machine.

And I can ride no-handed on rollers - have had two sets in my life. Don't like them much.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Rock and Roll trainer more comfortable? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
So kind of a back-door.... something... I've owned a lot of trainers. Started on a Cycleops fluid, went to a KK Road Machine, turned that into Rock 'n Roll, went the erg route and tried a Powerbeam Pro, sold that and went back to the Rock n' Roll, recently saw and bought a powerbeam pro mated to a Rock 'n Roll frame, and... because my residence is apparently a wireless black hole... recently bought a computrainer which I am very happy with. I also have a friend with a Kickr.... and I have a cheap set of rollers. Yes, I have poured money into trainers something I never intended to do but... whatever, I have my own justifications and I might as well share my $0.02

In my opinion, the Rock n Roll IS more comfortable for longer sessions. Why? I don't know. With that said, there are a few caveats:
-it's a pain in the ass to set up initially. If your wheel and riser block isn't perfectly centered your bike will have an annoying lean to one side or the other. If your floor isn't really close to level from left to right this becomes very difficult to remediate.
-if your pedal stroke isn't reasonably smooth you'll bob a bit up and down on the bike. Personally I think this is a good thing. It forces you to smooth it out a bit.

I would imagine most of the people who have a negative opinion of the Rock n Roll ran into one of those two issues or simply didn't ride it for long enough to notice. That's something else I should note. You're not going to notice much of a difference on a one hour ride. To me, the difference in comfort became apparent when I started doing ~2hr sessions.

A few other notes:
-in my opinion, the KK fluid unit is superb. It seems bomb-proof and the resistance curve seems pretty consistent. It uses a fluid (forget what type) that's not as sensitive to temperature changes as those found in other fluid trainers.
-InRide is a cheap way to start training with power and the new InRide app is actually pretty decent.
-heavy flywheel. I like that.
-very quiet. My drivetrain makes way more noise than the trainer itself.

Feel free to answer any questions.
Nice write up! BTW, are you referring to the original R&R design in regards to the bobbing? From what I read, the R&R 2 design changes have helped with the bobbing so that its not as pronounced as with the original R&R model even when really hammering a sprint.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Rock and Roll trainer more comfortable? [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm referring to the original design. I don't have any experience with the new design. That said when you sprint out of the saddle you don't really notice the bounce.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one last Spring and love it. It allows the bike to move around more like actual riding. Highly recommend it.

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply