Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona lottery [chemsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chemsmith wrote:
thenicetwin wrote:

"I think I may try the lottery. What the heck."

I hope that you try the lottery. The best part of the week was meeting Chrissie Wellington and Craig Alexander in the post race area as we were getting my stuff.
Both went out of the way to talk with two of my teenage kids and ask them how their day went. No hint of elitism...just sincerity.

It had an impact on my son as he went out for high school track, the next spring, and made all County in the 800.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [BIGringbrah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't care for or believe in the lottery... pretty simple - don't apply!

The lottery exists, as I recall, based upon the original sales agreement of the race - when Valarie Silk sold the event. The current owners have maintained the tradition.

If you aren't pleased with the product your local grocer provides, you are free to shop elsewhere... if you don't like your auto mechanic's policies/procedures, find another place for service... If you think the Ironman Lottery is wrong... out-of-bounds... inappropriate... take your racing dollars elsewhere and participate in Rev 3 events, Great Floridian, Chessyman, B 2 B, Esprit - or one of the several other smaller 140.6 events.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I recall, last year, the policy for the Legacy program was as follows:

1) You had to have 12 or more WTC Ironman finishes
2) You had to have completed a WTC Ironman in 2010
3) You had to have completed a WTC Ironman in 2011
4) You could never have raced in Kona

As I understand it, the WTC checked records and those with the largest # of WTC finishes -AND- meeting the criteria, were offered a legacy slot first (There was a woman who did 57 IM's and met the criteria - she raced this year). There were a handful of athletes with the minimum 12 finishes who raced this year. There are still more, with the hope/understanding they will have the opportunity to race in 2013.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1 wrote:
I am not sure of the odds, but I know you can enter as many times as you like to better them. I think they are 40.00 a pop!?!?

I don't think you can apply as often as you would like...

In years past, one could apply for the Lottery ($40) - You could also join "The Passport Club" (another $40) - which gives you an extra "ball" in the lottery.

Last year, the WTC started to give repeat Lottery applicants one "ball" for every year an athlete applied for the Lottery dating back to 2001 (I think that was the earliest date the WTC had records for). You did not, however, receive additional "balls" if you were a Passport Club member in years past.

Example - if you applied every year since 2001, in 2012, you would have had 12 "balls" in the lottery - a 13th "ball'" if you joined the the 2012 Passport Club.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck:

Your logic seems to be that the pro-lottery people should be respectful of the disrespectful comments made by some anti-lottery types. I think qualifying for kona deserves more respect than getting in via lottery, but there's a difference between holding your head high and looking down your nose. The former deserve respect. The latter, not so much.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [chemsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chemsmith wrote:
PJC wrote:

I have a mate (Scott) that has done Kona 7 times. Never qualified.
I have another (Fabs) that has done it 3 times. Never qualified. (2x Lottery, 1 free ride.)
I have another (Ken) that has done it 2 times. Never qualified.

This explains why it's so hard to get in via the lottery. The same jerks are taking the spots over and over.

haha

Only one via the lottery. One on a sponsor spot. The other on an Airforce spot.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [KonaHopeful2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KonaHopeful2 wrote:
As I recall, last year, the policy for the Legacy program was as follows:

1) You had to have 12 or more WTC Ironman finishes
2) You had to have completed a WTC Ironman in 2010
3) You had to have completed a WTC Ironman in 2011
4) You could never have raced in Kona

As I understand it, the WTC checked records and those with the largest # of WTC finishes -AND- meeting the criteria, were offered a legacy slot first (There was a woman who did 57 IM's and met the criteria - she raced this year). There were a handful of athletes with the minimum 12 finishes who raced this year. There are still more, with the hope/understanding they will have the opportunity to race in 2013.

so its easy now if you have 12. I bet by the time I get 12 (In about 5 years or so) it'll be really hard and you'll need 20 finishes to have a realistic chance.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every time I read Kona Lottery, I think of some native Kona person holding a big check from publishers clearing house... They would be all excited, "OMG I WON THE LOTTERY" .... "wait, what, you mean I have to race in 100 degree temps for 10+ hours?!" .... worst lottery win ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [drewbiez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is your answer

October 23rd, 2012
Tampa, Fla. (Oct. 23, 2012) – Today, IRONMAN announces the opening date of the 2013 IRONMAN® Lottery and IRONMAN® Legacy programs. Opening TOMORROW (Oct. 24) at noon ET, the programs will offer 100 general age group and five physically challenged lottery slots plus 100 IRONMAN Legacy slots to the 2013 IRONMAN® World Championship, taking place on Oct. 12 in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i.
IRONMAN LOTTERY PROGRAM
This year, athletes will continue to have an increased opportunity to be selected for the IRONMAN Lottery based on the number of years they have entered the program. New for 2013 and moving forward, however, athletes must have consecutive entries, year-over-year, to maintain credit for entries from previous years. For example, if an athlete registered for the IRONMAN Lottery six times between 2004 and now, the athlete must enter the IRONMAN Lottery in 2013 to continue to maintain credit for the previous six entries. Should the athlete choose to not enter the IRONMAN Lottery in 2013 but reapply in 2014, the athlete would then only have credit for the one entry in 2014. To see a list of frequently asked questions about the IRONMAN Lottery program, visit www.ironmanworldchampionship.com.
A mainstay in the history of IRONMAN, the IRONMAN Lottery began in 1983 thanks to the vision of IRONMAN co-founder, John Collins, as a way to provide athletes ranging in athletic ability the opportunity to be a part of the world’s most challenging one-day endurance event. More than 7,000 athletes apply for the IRONMAN Lottery each year. In 1990, IRONMAN created the Passport Club that, in addition to other member benefits, gives athletes an increased chance of being selected through the lottery by offering them one additional entry.
“The IRONMAN Lottery program allows athletes, who might not be able to qualify for the IRONMAN World Championship, the chance to realize their dream of racing alongside our sport’s most talented athletes at the world’s toughest endurance race,” said Andrew Messick, Chief Executive Officer of World Triathlon Corporation (d/b/a IRONMAN). “By continuing this great tradition, we acknowledge athletes who have embraced the IRONMAN lifestyle and continue to spend countless hours training and working toward crossing the finish line on Ali`i Drive.”
IRONMAN LEGACY PROGRAM
In its second year, the IRONMAN Legacy Program will grant 100 loyal IRONMAN athletes an opportunity to compete in Kona at least once in their lifetime. One hundred Legacy winners will be chosen by IRONMAN and selection will be based on several criteria. To be eligible for selection through the Legacy Program, athletes must have completed a minimum of 12 full-distance IRONMAN-branded races, have never started the IRONMAN World Championship, have completed at least one full-distance IRONMAN event in each of the 2011 and 2012 seasons and be registered for a full-distance IRONMAN event in 2013.
“It is important for us to recognize and reward our most loyal and long-term athletes,” said Messick. “Our Legacy athletes are the heart of our sport and are powerful ambassadors. Their loyalty to and love of IRONMAN is inspiring.”
LOTTERY AND LEGACY REGISTRATION
Registration for the 2013 IRONMAN Lottery and IRONMAN Legacy programs will open at noon ET TOMORROW (Oct. 24) at www.ironmanworldchampionship.com. Registration for both programs will close at 11:59 p.m. ET on Friday, March 1, 2013. Lottery and Legacy winners will be announced at noon ET on Sunday, April 14, 2013, on www.ironman.com.
For more information on the IRONMAN Lottery and IRONMAN Legacy programs, go to www.ironmanworldchampionship.com. Inquiries about the programs may be directed to Lottery@ironman.com and Legacy@ironman.com. For media-related inquiries, contact Media@ironman.com.

# # #

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [ninetoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually the Legacy people did slightly better at finishing than the qualifiers. 92 of 95 that started finished (Including me :)) (5 apparently never started) for a total finish rate of 96.8%. I read somewhere that the rate for the field as a whole was about 95%.
Last edited by: konahopeful: Oct 23, 12 17:04
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [konahopeful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've applied to the IM lottery very single year since 1982! Now it's just a game.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [Drericknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drericknight wrote:
I've applied to the IM lottery very single year since 1982! Now it's just a game.

I suggest starting now.

You'll be racing in 2013.

Re the comment about finishing, I would suggest first timers would always finish unless they have a bike failure.

Those returning pushing harder, would DNF. As the stats seem to suggest.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [Drericknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That totally cracked me up. That absolutely sucks my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
IRONMAN LEGACY PROGRAM
In its second year, the IRONMAN Legacy Program will grant 100 loyal IRONMAN athletes an opportunity to compete in Kona at least once in their lifetime. One hundred Legacy winners will be chosen by IRONMAN and selection will be based on several criteria. To be eligible for selection through the Legacy Program, athletes must have completed a minimum of 12 full-distance IRONMAN-branded races, have never started the IRONMAN World Championship, have completed at least one full-distance IRONMAN event in each of the 2011 and 2012 seasons and be registered for a full-distance IRONMAN event in 2013.
“It is important for us to recognize and reward our most loyal and long-term athletes,” said Messick. “Our Legacy athletes are the heart of our sport and are powerful ambassadors. Their loyalty to and love of IRONMAN is inspiring.”

to enter Legacy Lottery for 2012, one needed 10 IMs plus one in 2011 and be entered in one for 2012
as I hadn't done an IM in 2011, I didn't qualify to enter, so I have my 18 IMs and I did my 2012 IM entered another for 2013 and am waiting for the Legacy Lottery to open....

what's that you say Mr WTC,
now to enter Legacy lottery we need 12 IMs ( I'm ok there ) and an have done an IM in 2011 AND 2012, as well as have an entry int an IM in 2013.

so it looks like missing an IM in 2011 will mean I'll never qualify for the Legacy Lottery and there little to no chance of me qualifying at any of the Australian races....
so it looks kike Kona is just not meant to be....
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Avago wrote:
PJC wrote:
IRONMAN LEGACY PROGRAM

to enter Legacy Lottery for 2012, one needed 10 IMs plus one in 2011 and be entered in one for 2012
as I hadn't done an IM in 2011, I didn't qualify to enter, so I have my 18 IMs and I did my 2012 IM entered another for 2013 and am waiting for the Legacy Lottery to open....

what's that you say Mr WTC,
now to enter Legacy lottery we need 12 IMs ( I'm ok there ) and an have done an IM in 2011 AND 2012, as well as have an entry int an IM in 2013.

so it looks like missing an IM in 2011 will mean I'll never qualify for the Legacy Lottery and there little to no chance of me qualifying at any of the Australian races....
so it looks kike Kona is just not meant to be....

Avago I think you should read Konahopeful's post above where he thought for 2012 you needed to have raced in 2010 & 2011 as well as signed up for a 2012 race. If that is the case, you hopefully will be going in 2014, so start saving up.

BTW what has been your favourite of your 18 IM?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [BIGringbrah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BIGringbrah wrote:
Exactly guys...and you can go ahead and book your accomodations to compete at Wimbledon, Superbowl, World series, well you get the point...the worlds full of IM races, go get em and "Q" in. Just my opinion but I'm a traditionalist and proud 11X Q er. Now Lets get out there and train!!

You're an idiot.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well. with the new change that for non-Legacy slots, that if you want extra tries in the draw, your lottery entries need to be consecutive, they are really pushing me to enter again. :O By last years rules, I should have had 4 entries for my one fee. Now, since they have to be consectutive, a couple of my previous lottery entries won't count.

As for the Legacy slots....with the requirements, I suppose people who have done fewer than 12 need to plan accordingly. For instance, I've done 8, and no plans to do a full in 2013 (unless I get in regular lottery). BUT, if I decide to go for the 12 finishes and try to enter the legacy program, I should make sure and plan my last 2 or 3 IMs in consecutive years.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [DCH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DCH wrote:
Hey, can anyone tell me how/when the lottery for IMH 2013 will open up? Can't seem to find it on their website. Any information would be most appreciated.

It is open now, and they got another couple of bucks off me.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm constantly torn with what to think about KQ's.

on one hand i think it's great to see everyday people who have overcome obstacles be given the opportunity to compete with the worlds elite (if you can even call when they are doing competing, in the sense that they stand zero chance to beat the pros that is).

on the other hand KONA can only hand X amount of athletes. there is a reason the race is capped. to provide the best experience for the most amount of people. i can imagine if they opened up another 1k slots the race quality will drop drastically. it's just the nature of the beast. BUT it's really sad that AG's that train their hearts out, sacrifice so much and miss qualifying by minutes or even seconds. really! think about it. you can be 10 seconds slower over a 140.3 course and miss out on a trip to kona. that to me is just so sad and heart breaking.

part of me says this is the WORLD championships. this is not just any ironman race. this is where the best of the best compete. i don't think it's fair that someone comes back from something such as cancer or whatever and gets a slot over the athlete who missed the spot by 10 seconds. think about it. who has given more to the sport, who has sacrificed more for the sport? it's not a guarantee, but it's likely to be the AG that missed by 10 seconds.

i do however love seeing lottery athletes and what not in the race, their stories inspire many and shows the strength of human will.

i don't think there is a right or wrong. i personally think that there should be some changes made to better the process.

i feel that there should be less spots for people who came back from cancer, lost a ton of weight, military spots (oh god, i'm going to catch so much heat for that last one) etc for KONA (and KONA ONLY!) and increase AG qualifying spots as a result. i don't think you should so 25-35 year old men come in at 15+ hours for KONA. it's the world championships for petes sake. show some respect for the course and train! you see it over and over on the IM vids. people give up etc, peoples body give out. i question how many of them put in proper training (and yes, i understand that even pros have bad days).

i also feel that in order to do KONA you first have to have at least ONE finished IM under your belt. i think they should expand lotteries and have cancer etc slots for the other ironmans. make them free spot if you really want to show you care about survivors, open some free slots to military!

don't get me wrong, i love diversity in KONA but it's the world championships.

i started doing tris in 2006, worked my way up slowly and did my first IM in 2011. next year i'm doing 2 IM's and i am going to try and qualify for KONA for 2015 or 2016. i will be in the most difficult age group by that time (early 30's) and i have to give it everything i have. it's def a long shot since i have no background in any of the 3 disciplines but looking at my splits it's definitely possible. i just know i would be crushed if i had missed it by a minute yet because someone lost 200lbs over the past year they get a slot in the world championship even if they have never done a tri before.

flame away.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^

You realize that the slots then give to cancer survivors/inspirational stories are different then the lottery slots, correct??
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [avclr2012] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avclr2012 wrote:
I've participated in the lottery 8 or 9 times. No luck. My wife? First time, she got in. So years back she did Hawaii on a lottery slot. In spite of finishing multiple half IMs and IMCA she's never felt like an "athlete" or that she belonged. i won't bother explaining what I think the real issue is (haha), but she's never had a bad experience racing or with another athelete. She's never come close to a DNF. Still, perception is reality and the word "lottery" hung over here like a dark cloud. So when she struggled at Kona and was among the final finishers, she had trouble enjoying the fact that she finished at all, and that the 1000s of people cheering didn't see her as "losing" So the transition area on the pier was fairly dark at the end, and as we packed up her gear, that years winner, Chrissie (showed and dressed "normal") walked in with her parents.. She saw my wife and walked the length of the pier and gave her hug, told her it was a hard day, and a remarkable accomplishment, etc. For a brief and shining moment, my wife "got it." The insecurities drifted away and she saw how she and someone like Chrissie are actually alike, instead of different. Chrissie introduced us to her parents and we walked out together. It was truly what Kona is, or should be, about.

This is one of my all time favorite stories of triathlon. Thanks for sharing it.

My own experience with lottery winners who are racing Kona is that they are very respectful of the sport, of the race and particularly of their fellow competitors who qualified. It has been nice to read this thread and to hear that many of them felt they were welcomed and well treated by the other athletes.

As well, the two guys that I know who got to race Kona this year as a result of the legacy program are exactly the kind of guys that anyone would be happy to see get that chance. The legacy program is a great idea.

Grant

Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [RushTogether] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RushTogether wrote:
^^^

You realize that the slots then give to cancer survivors/inspirational stories are different then the lottery slots, correct??

yes, i am aware of that. what is the total count for those slots? i look at this past years for example. i forget his name. but the guy who had (i believe) a heart transplant. i think it's great he got a shot. but he missed the swim cutoff the first year and the 2nd time around he had to drop out something like 20ish miles into the bike.

what was his training like? i'de like to know. did he never try a long bike ride on a difficult day or tough terrain after swimming? this is the exact reason why i feel people should have to have one IM under their belt prior to kona.

this one slot could have been given to someone who missed qualifying by mere seconds because a pro or someone else had a great day where they had a very good day.

just my 2 cents, probably not the most popular opinion. but i think it's fair, to do kona, you have to have 1 IM under your belt to prove that you can go the distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have yet to apply for the lottery though I just may this year. With the legacy program, lottery, and qualifying the WTC has eliminited many barriers for the dedicated triathletes trying to get to Kona which is a good thing.

My only real beef with the current system is that you should have to had completed at least one IM. I'd hate to think that a slot is wasted by someone who got in via lottery, and no showed or dnf'ed due to lack of training or care about the World Championships. Granted, I'm sure no one expects lottery entrants to do well, its just the fact that slot is coveted by thousands.

Of course this wont happen because an IM prerequisite drops about 50% or more of the lottery revenue and NBC and WTC want 16:55 - 17:05 finishers.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona lottery [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with your comment where you need to have completed one IM BEFORE you can even apply to the lottery. That would weed out a bunch of people and those who have been less loyal to WTC. I also think you should get one entry per IM you've completed as a way to reward the more loyal athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
RushTogether wrote:
^^^

yes, i am aware of that. what is the total count for those slots? i look at this past years for example. i forget his name. but the guy who had (i believe) a heart transplant. i think it's great he got a shot. but he missed the swim cutoff the first year and the 2nd time around he had to drop out something like 20ish miles into the bike.

what was his training like? i'de like to know. did he never try a long bike ride on a difficult day or tough terrain after swimming? this is the exact reason why i feel people should have to have one IM under their belt prior to kona.

this one slot could have been given to someone who missed qualifying by mere seconds because a pro or someone else had a great day where they had a very good day.

just my 2 cents, probably not the most popular opinion. but i think it's fair, to do kona, you have to have 1 IM under your belt to prove that you can go the distance.

It's only the second chance system if you win the lottery. Not a consolation award for someone who didn't qualify. If you want that, advocate for more qualification slots. I see your point biut I think it's not what the lottery is purposed to accomplish.
Quote Reply

Prev Next