Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona Winter/ Cold Training Question
Quote | Reply
With the big dance tomorrow, there are quite a few athletes who qualified for Kona in the Northern hemisphere between the warmer months May - August. Many of those athletes are time and weather limited over the winter months with low temps and even less light.

I was involved in a little debate and am curious to get people's thoughts on winter training for the regular qualifiers of Kona. In those deep winter weeks are they consistently putting our 4 hour+ rides and 18 mile runs? Or is the focus much more quality and raising threshold? Just blocks of focusing on week areas? Frequency vs. Duration?

I have seen many respected names on Slowtwitch mention "focused Ironman Training" really only takes 9-12 weeks give or take. So are those winter months all about building top end and then adding the endurance as the season gets going?

At the end of the day I know more is more and there are different ways to get there but Im just a sports physio nerd thats curious!

Happy training!

Edited for spelling :)
Last edited by: McBoyler: Oct 9, 15 10:22
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Winter/ Cold Training Question [McBoyler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of opinions around here on that question. Many fail to account for significant differences in sport history. What was best for me 30 years ago is not best for me today. I am a different (unfortunately, weaker and slower) athlete today... but I have years of developing an aerobic system. My personality (some would say dedication and focus) does not permit me to sit on a trainer for hours on end over the winter. As I age, I need to maintain my strength and speed. I choose intervals over long steady. My sport experience allows me to add endurance pretty quickly once the weather improves. I'm a strong swimmer, so I use lots of winter pool time to maintain aerobic conditioning. As an older athlete, I need to spend my hours in the gym over the winter as well. All that said, if I want to reach elite levels, I will need to include as much aerobic time as recovery permits. That's where my life stressors come into the equation. I just finished volunteered to work the hardest shifts in Dec-Feb. That lowers my stress next spring when the real training comes. Good luck with your personal puzzle... that's why I've been having fun as a triathlete for 35 years, and probably explains the fact that I've never been to Kona ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Winter/ Cold Training Question [Wild Horse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...probably also important to note that I have ALWAYS incorporated an Oct-Mar "Barry P" (frequent easy volume) running approach, and gave up open marathons 20 years ago.
Last edited by: Wild Horse: Oct 12, 15 5:17
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Winter/ Cold Training Question [Wild Horse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Kona back in 2003 through an Australian "winter". Where i live in Western Australia the overnight temps can be relatively cold but still moderate daytime temps. My training was the same as any other IM, if anything I was doing more volume as I was going to Kona. Due to the weather I missed a few more sessions. My usual plan was to do most of the distance work 16-6 weeks out then shift into speed work 6-7 weeks out to sharpen up. Unfortunately I remember getting the flu 6 weeks out and basically missing 3 weeks of speed work which was leading into my taper. But anyway, if I was to do it again I would follow a similar plan, get in the long distance then wind the volume back and increase the intensity before tapering.
Quote Reply