Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona Survival
Quote | Reply
It's that time again.

Many pro's and a smattering of age groupers are in town for the big dance in 3 weeks. So I thought I'd update a post from a couple of years ago to help those who haven't been here for the race before or those who haven't been here in awhile. Have fun while you're here and be safe. Aloha:

Weather: If you've not visited the Kona Coast during Ironman time, October is the hottest time of the year and it's bordering on our wet season. Temperatures out on the Queen K can easily top 90 F/ 32C when most folks are running. It's also our windy season out on the Kona coast (Kua Bay northwards)

Water Temperatures: The water will be around 77 -78 F / 25 -26 C. The race is not wet suit legal – ever (more or less). Be forewarned though, the water at the pier is significantly cooler than that. Kailua (that's the town's real name) is Hawaiian for 2 waters. There are fresh water springs from the pier entry on out to abeam the Kona Inn. Most of the course won't be that cold. 

The swim course starts being set up on Thursday before the race and is finished Friday afternoon. There will be a few buoys set before the race marking the general swim course. There are usually a bunch of locals swimming at least the 1.2 early in the mornings so if you're in doubt about the course ask them. Some leave at 6:30 am or so and others around 8:00. Plus if you're arrive a week or so before the race, there will be a lot of other more familiar athletes in town, tag along with them.

Training swims: The Kukhio Blue Water swim is no more. WTC has a training swim slated for October 4 in its stead. There's chat about Kukhio returning next year, but don't hold your breath.

Bike safety (pre race): After a horrid 2012 and a not so good 2013, 2014 has been a relatively safe year for cyclists. Let's try and keep it that way. You worked hard to get here, don't take chances on missing the race or worse.

Most locals ride from the county pool or soccer fields up Makala (past where the Target and Sports Authority are) and onto the Queen K. That little section there has been the among the worst area for accidents. People aren't expecting cyclists (go figure) and some are rather resentful of the whole Ironman time of the year. Stay out of aero position until you're safely on the highway shoulders.

Heading North bound on the highway your first danger area is the turn to the transfer station and Police station. Cars will be merging into the right turn lane and the bike lane is on the left side of that lane. Sit up. After that you have Kealakehe Pkwy (opposite the harbor) which is the turn to the local high school and Civic Center now. From there you have a short ride to the turn by the Tesoro Station. There are two ways to handle this short set of streets; some folks go onto the shoulder after the harbor and then back to the left side where the Tesoro turn is. That's what the sign implies you to should do as you pass Kealakehe. Others think more accidents happen crossing traffic and just stay on the left side of the right turn lane the whole way and let the cars that are impatient pass them off to the right. If you're in a group of riders do what the guy up front does. Don't split the group left and right as you'll end up tempting cars to go between you -- and they will.

If you're in a group, please be sensible and ride no more than two abreast (Hawaii law actually requires single file but that's another story), don't bunch up and creep out onto the highway -- you will get hurt.

After the airport you're fairly clear until the resorts. Some distances: 

Pool - Veteran's Cemetery/Kua Bay (Bum Crack Hill for the Aussies): 12 miles each way.

Pool- Scenic Overlook (This is barely on the descent to the resorts): 18 miles. 

Pool - Waikoloa Resorts: Just under 50 miles round trip depending on how far you go into the resorts. 

Pool - Kawaihae: This is a bit under 80 miles round trip. 

Returning south bound the major areas of conflict with traffic are the road to the Mauna Lani, the Road to the Waikoloa Resorts, Kua Bay and more importantly the south Entrance to Kekahakai St park (Makalawena). Cars aren't expecting you at that entrance, and it's a nice down hill where you'll likely be zipping along in aero. After that the Airport Rd is really bad as it has a protected acceleration lane for the south bound Queen K that you need to cross and cars will not look. Then the harbor.

If you haven't been here in a couple of years, pay attention to the change in the bike lane at the harbor. We no longer cross the right lane approaching the harbor turn (southbound), stay on the shoulder and cross the road there at the light. When you make the turn onto Makala from the south bound Queen K, you'll be in the shopping area, Sit up and use it as a cool down. Please.

New for 2014: There will be new bike lane in both directions (it's in it's final stages of striping right now) on Kukakini between Palani Road and Kaiwi (That's the 4 way stop sign). These lanes were carved out of the traffic lane width, there was no expansion of real estate. Keep it single file through there and try not to creep towards the edge.

If you're heading down to Ali`i Drive beware there's no shoulder on Ali'i until you're around the Royal Kona or so. Also watch for runners when you're on the shoulder of Ali`i Drive. Oh and just for reference I've been trying to get a speeding ticket on my bike heading into town (Northbound on Ali'i heading down the hill by the Royal Kona) for years with no success. If you get one let me know!

Finally, watch out for glass. There are a few locals who think it's funny to trash the shoulders prior to Ironman. The roads do get cleaned before everyone arrives and also for the race. But there will be glass and wire from shredded truck tires.

The Energy Lab: Signs will likely be up prohibiting bikes from being in there by the time you arrive. If they're not, don't ride in there anyway. There is no shoulder, cars drive very fast and there is a lot of traffic from the businesses and charter school. People have been hit and seriously hurt riding bikes along that road.

If this is your first trip to the world championship you owe it to yourself to go visit the energy lab. Drive to the bottom and take a look back up to the highway. The road isn't as steep as it looks. It's an optical illusion caused by the slope of the hills on the mauka (mountain) side of the highway that makes you think it's god awful steep. It's not flat either.

Running: Most local runners have ITBand issues from our rather concave shaped roads. I run on the Makai (ocean) side of the road all the time (there are also somewhat fewer roads intersecting the makai side of the Queen K or Ali`i Drive). Get used to people not following the convention on this, so please try and make room for them when you see them coming opposite direction -- don't force them out into traffic.

Pier to Outrigger Keauhou Crosswalk (just past the Ali`i Drive turn around): 5 miles each way.
Pier to the entrance to the harbor (via Makala): Just under 3 miles
Pier to the Airport: 7 miles
Pier to the Energy Lab: 6 miles.

Misc Race Trivia: 

The climb to Hawi from Mahukona isn't the steepest climb, it's just long at 7 miles (and windy. did I mention windy?). The climb from the resorts to Scenic overlook is steeper though shorter and the last steep climb you'll have is at mile 99 from Kukhio to Vet's Cemetery -- very short (1 mile is all). From that point (Mile 100 on the bike roughly) you have 6 hills till you get back to T2. Some locals practice hill repeats on their bike on that hill so that it's not a shock during the race.

My personal hell section of the bike course is the climb from Kawaihae to Kawaihae Junction. It's hot, there's never a breath of wind, it's steep and you can see Bum Crack hill in the far distance. Fortunately it's also fairly short, 1 mile. Personally I'd rather climb the 7 miles to Hawi than do this climb.

The road isn't truly closed during the race. If you're MOP or later don't be shocked to see a bus near you. They're shuttling volunteers. There is also limited road traffic early during the bike race as some areas are land locked from the race, these are usually workers at Kukhio and they should steer clear of the cyclists. Oh and watch out for the NBC camera crews .. we all know they don't always miss the cyclists!

Chicken Soup: If you're mop or later, the high sodium lukewarm chicken soup is found at every run aid station out on the highway. It can be a godsend if you're behind on your electrolytes.

When you exit the energy lab on the run headed south bound you have 11K to go to the finish.

If you're finishing after dark, after you pass the hot corner (Kuakini and Palani Road) inbound turn right in FRONT of the Union 76 station (Hualalai Rd.). I've seen lots of runners make wrong turns over the years. It can be hard to tell where to turn late in the race.

Coffee: There a zillion Coffee farms in town, some have tours. Go see one. Or look up the Kona Historical Society, they run a 1940's style Coffee farm: The Kona Coffee Living History Farm.

Coffee shops: The Starbucks in town are both small and both on Henry Street. One is on Henry and Kuakini, the other up opposite Safeway. There's also a coffee shop right by the pier (Menehune), the old large Starbucks is now occupied by Kona Coffee and Tea (quite good and room for bikes) and of course there's Lava Java and Hugo's on the rocks.

Groceries: KTA is a local chain and has Hawaii Island Grass Fed Beef -- it's labeled that way if you're a beef eater and interested. Sack n Save is part of the Foodland Chain in Hawaii and Safeway is Safeway. Island Naturals in Old Industrial is the only natural food store in town now (the other closed recently).

Restaurants: The best restaurant is someone's house. Other than that Krua has good Thai. Lava Java has good most everything. Kona Inn has a great view and their Thai Lemongrass soup is great.

Bicycle Shops: There are really two in town: Bike Works and Cycle Station. Bike Works carries Cervelo and Specialized. Cycle Station is the Trek & Scott Dealer. Find one that you can work with. Either one will work on your bike no matter the make.

Bike Works: 808-326-2453 

Cycle Station: 808-327-0087 

Feel free to add on or ask questions. Aloha.

Be safe, race hard, have fun.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Sep 20, 14 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Survival [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for doing this again. I learned a lot last year and even learned some new stuff for this year. Two more weeks and then I'm on the big jet airplane.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Survival [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Thanks for doing this again. I learned a lot last year and even learned some new stuff for this year. Two more weeks and then I'm on the big jet airplane.

LIKE!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome tips, thanks for opening this thread. First time to Kona, with lots of questions:

(1) Is it OK to run on the Queen K race week?

(2) Where's the best place to line up for the swim to minimize the scrum? I'll be under an hour, so I don't want to line up at the back, but I know this isn't like any other IM swim where I can get out and away from the pack.

(3) I plan on biking very conservatively. I barely qualified, so I have no ambitions of being competitive. How dense is the pack really going to be coming out of T1? Realistically, how many miles will I be sitting up letting the fast guys stream by?

(4) I suffer in the heat and humidity. Very high sweat rate (1.5-2.0 L/h), so this race will be first and foremost about survival. Is there any shade on the run? I've even thought about taking my time in T2 to take in a couple of bottles, is the T2 tent crazy hot and crowded?

(5) Is there a noticeable difference in temp and humidity along the coast vs. on the Queen K?

Very excited. Dreamed about this since 1987. Just took a while to make it happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Survival [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing I think that was missed is the bike course is sort of a crazy vortex. Sometimes you think you are going uphill so easy in your 54/14 and sometimes you will swear you are going downhill in a 38/24 and just hanging on. The horizon flat out lies to your eyes and mind. Don't worry about it, just ride the bike in what ever gear feels good. I have talked to more people that freaked out to their speed, heart rate and power data on the Kona course than anywhere else. The course is so vast and open horizons aren't always what they seem.

When you think you are going uphill and you are going down hill with a tail wind your power data vs speed can get confused. Don't worry about it, it is Ironman Kona. For the folks that are just doing it for the first time, I would not worry about your power data and pace. Just ride the bike and enjoy the moment. And drink the hell out of your fluids. My best advice is to finish before the sun goes down, it is way more fun that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year was my first. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1. Yes. You will see lots of folks riding and running on the Queen K. Early in the week I had my family drop me off at the Energy Lab and I ran back to town. Wanted to experience that before race day. I also did the Energy Lab run a few days later.

2. I lined up way way way wide left and had the cleanest IM swim I've ever had in my life. I swam a 1:06. I was in no hurry though. Just enjoyed the scenery and more than once thought to myself "I'm doing fucking Kona man."

3. I did this last year and will not be doing it this year. I literally let hundreds of people fly past me while I soft pedaled. This year I plan to get to my pace early and hold it while doing my best to stay out of other peoples way. There is a MASSIVE legal draft you can take advantage of at the start of the bike.

4. There's a little shade on Ali Drive for the first 10 miles and then the next 16 are completely exposed. I did not think the transitions tents were hot or crowded at all for me. Then again I was probably a touch behind the main field so YMMV.

5. The bike is hot. Those first 10 miles of the run are slightly cooler but more humid. The final 16 are blazing hot for most people. The funny thing for me though being from Houston I didn't ever say to myself during the race "it's hot." Seemed like a normal August training day to me.

Good luck and have a great race.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Survival [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Seemed like a normal August training day to me.

I am working hard right now to feel that way (New Orleans for me).

Temps and humidity have let up a little bit this last week, so I have been wearing a little extra clothing to maintain my acclimatization.

I don't know jack about hills, but heat and wind are something for which I have no excuse to be ill prepared (given where I live).

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks - great tips!

is there a nice "non queen k" bike ride to do from town? I'm looking for a nice ride to do the day after the race. Of course I can do the queen k but I think I might have had enough of that by then ;-)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Survival [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
thanks - great tips!

is there a nice "non queen k" bike ride to do from town? I'm looking for a nice ride to do the day after the race. Of course I can do the queen k but I think I might have had enough of that by then ;-)

Straight up Palani which turns into Hawaii Belt road. It is a bit congested on Palani, but awesome after that. You can take it all the way to Saddle road and turn right there and then at Mauna Kea access road turn left or on Mona Loa Access road turn right. Both of these options will take you all day and take you up to 13,700 feet. Alteratively once you get 2000 ft of vertical outside Kona, turn right on Kaloko. 3000 ft of vertical later you'll be at the top. It's more than Mont Ventoux vertical right out of Kailua peer, but you never see anyone up there race week. I climbed it on Wed before the race last year and had a PB Kona bike split (for me).
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Survival [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
Awesome tips, thanks for opening this thread. First time to Kona, with lots of questions:

(2) Where's the best place to line up for the swim to minimize the scrum? I'll be under an hour, so I don't want to line up at the back, but I know this isn't like any other IM swim where I can get out and away from the pack.

(3) I plan on biking very conservatively. I barely qualified, so I have no ambitions of being competitive. How dense is the pack really going to be coming out of T1? Realistically, how many miles will I be sitting up letting the fast guys stream by?

(4) I suffer in the heat and humidity. Very high sweat rate (1.5-2.0 L/h), so this race will be first and foremost about survival. Is there any shade on the run? I've even thought about taking my time in T2 to take in a couple of bottles, is the T2 tent crazy hot and crowded?

(5) Is there a noticeable difference in temp and humidity along the coast vs. on the Queen K?

Very excited. Dreamed about this since 1987. Just took a while to make it happen.

For question 1 answer is yes. For question 2, unlike other races, in Kona you will swim with a lot of other swimmers. There probably is no "avoid the scrum" location other than far left to avoid a lot of contact. On the far right by the peer you are hemmed in by a line up of paddle boards. On the plus side, you can just swim head down beside the paddle boards and never have to sight. Question 3, you will be in the thick of prime time out of T1, and it will be a draft train for the first 10K in town until you get to the QueenK. Once on the Queen K, there is plenty of room to ride clean and let guys go, or ride at legal distance...even at your swim and bike ability. For question 4, I can't comment on how crowded the T2 tent is. I would imagine with your T2 finish time around 6 hours it is very crowded. When I arrived there around 6:30 into the race, it is not that bad as the top half of the field has already come and gone. Question 5, Alii drive there is no wind and it is humid. I do well in the heat and I have found it stifling. Out on the QueenK I have never felt hot due to the breeze, my slow pace (which means I am generating less heat at blow up pace than out of T2), and due the time of day that I have been running out there (typically between 4-6 pm when the sun is coming down). With times in the 10:20 - 10:50 range I barely beat the glow stick in Kona so really the run is very oblique at my speed for the final part of the run. For you guys who are a bit faster, you'll have more time on the Queen K with the sun frying you during the run, but really not that much more. For the pros who are getting their run done just past 3 pm, they hit the QueenK in prime time sun...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:

1. Yes absolutely. The portion of the run course on the Queen K is on the Mauka side of the road (mountain side). Most everyone runs on the ocean side though during training. Both directions.

2. This year will be a bit different with the staggered swim starts. But many fast swimmers line up on the pier side and the slower folks on the far side near Hulihee Palace. The pier side has the straightest shot down the outbound swim line. The return is angled back that way and is done after the last swimmers are away.

The cannon is on the pier. I have a local acquaintance who did the race in 2011 after years of volunteering and he lined up on the pier side because with race morning jitters he forgot where the cannon was. he was a bit deaf for a week or two afterwards in that ear. So if you're susceptible to loud noises don't line up on the pier side.

3. If you're a fast swimmer traditionally things get crowded leaving T1 in the 1 hour to 1+15 range. But things will be a bit different this year with the women starting 10 minutes behind the men. Things can be bunched up during the in town bike loop and out to roughly Veteran's cemetery (a 45 minute straight from town ride at a leisurely non race pace). After that things begin to stretch out. but I think it'll be a bit more thin this year.

4. yes and no on the shade. Ali`i Drive has some shade, and that's it. That will be from T2 through the your second of your three times through the old Hot corner (Ali`i Drive and Hualalai). That means you have opportunities for shade through roughly mile 10. The run is on the makai side of the road most of the way on Ali`i. There are folks who have set up misters along the course, you can take advantage of those and every aide station has ice as well. Once you're on the Queen K though, there's no shade. Stay hydrated and stay up on your electrolytes.

5. Temperatures. This is the hottest time of the year. Temperatures can be punishing if it's a hotter than normal race (2009). The Queen K will be baking in the sun on a hot day and won't cool off radically until around sunset. If a breeze is blow though, that can be a tremendous relief. It's also humid, we're in the tropics. On the other hand temperatures can be reasonable moderate for October in Kona as well. But most folks aren't setting an IM run PR or a marathon PR. The hottest I saw was when Chrissie Wellington arrived at the pier for T2 in 2009, the thermometer on the wall (admittedly in full sun) was pushing 100F. Unusually hot for that area though. Don't count on that at all.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Sep 21, 14 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Survival [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of optical illusion on the course. The climb to Hawi, for example, has a few spots that are actually gradual and short descents and a don't feel like it and a few areas where the climb gradient decreases enough that you feel like you're flat (you're not). A pilot acquaintance of mine also explains the run illusion out of the Energy Lab as a black hole effect which seems to make it look steeper than it is (it's still annoying though).

Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Sep 20, 14 18:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Dev said.

You can actually peddle all the way to Hilo via the new saddle road if you desire. It's a long ways though.

If you want to go south there are a lot of options: try Ali'i Drive past Keauhou, down to the end. From there you can make the horrid (no joke) climb to Captain Cook (you'll come out near McDonalds there), go south on the highway to K-Bay if you like and return via the highway. Long, ride for the day after the race though.

You can ride to the end of Ali'i as well, back track the way you came. climb the Kam III (steeper than anything on the race course and as steep as the climb at Yellow Lake easily), cross the Queen K, turn left on (upper) Walua Road and ride that through the neighborhoods and walking, riding trail (it's all on the same road and down hill) to Lako Street then left and down to the Queen K, right and back to town. Maybe 24 miles.

Post race run? Try Mana Road in Waimea. Cool and parts are red dirt. Also about 4000 feet elevation or so. Head north (drive it) on the upper highway to Waimea town, turn right and head out of town. Mana Road is just past the Observatory offices and Hawaiian Home Lands office (they're on the left) make the right and drive to the end of that road (about 1/3 mile) and turn left. drive till the pavement stops, find a spot to park and go for a run. Or mountain bike. ;) Plenty of spots to eat in Waimea as well.

Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Sep 21, 14 10:15
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Survival [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also forgot to say that the climb to Mauna Kea is only pavement to 9300 ft. After that you can cannot ride a road bike as it is lava dust/crushed gravel and your bike instantly sinks into it. I have a plan to run from there to summit at some point. The final 2 miles is also paved to keep the dust away from the telescopes at the summit. Number 7 told me that from the saddle road to the Mauna Kea visitor center is the single hardest 3000 foot vertical stretch he ever did in his life...harder than Ventoux, harder than Tourmalet, harder than Stelvio. I asked if 34x27 was enough and he said, I nearly died with 39x27. I showed up for that climb with 34x32 but only did the 3000 foot climb. I did not climb all the way up from Kailua pier, but that is on the plan at some point in the future....just not this year. Then run to the summit.

The Mauna Kea "half marathon" is also a cool run....start at 6000 feet at saddle road, end at 13,700. It is supposed to be exactly 13 miles. Probably best if you get someone to pick you up at the summit...running down 13 miles would not be fun, although from what I understand for those who run the Mt. Fuji marathon, even though the finish line is at the summit, you have to haul your ass down Fuji to the start line. John McGovern (Tetsuoni on ST) has done that race in his youth.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but since we were talking about Pacific volcanos my mind drifted to Fuji.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks KonaCoffee, great post!

Couple of quick questions:
  1. I'm staying with the family at Waikoloa until a couple of days before the race. Are there any public lap pools in Waikoloa as I'd prefer not to drive into Kona to use the pool.
  2. How far is it from Waikoloa to Hawi return?

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Survival [HKoldtimer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HKoldtimer wrote:
Thanks KonaCoffee, great post!

Couple of quick questions:
  1. I'm staying with the family at Waikoloa until a couple of days before the race. Are there any public lap pools in Waikoloa as I'd prefer not to drive into Kona to use the pool.
  2. How far is it from Waikoloa to Hawi return?

Thanks again.

There is a public pool up in Kohala (Kapa'au actually, in the park). I've never used it (I live 5 minutes slow driving time from the Kona pool). That's a bit past Hawi though.

You might consider giving the Mauna Lani a call and seeing what access to their really nice Olympic pool in their club would cost. The drive to Kona if all else fails is 30 -40 minutes.

2. Waikoloa Resorts to Hawi and back is a 4 hour bike ride at an athlete's recreational riding pace. You can do it faster, it can also be slower. Driving wise it's about 45 minutes to an hour. From Waikoloa Village, add another 10 minutes to get to the belt highway.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also ride the bikes all the way to end of the Mauna Loa road as well. A bit steep too as you mentioned. The first part of the road looks very bad, just get past it if yore on your bikes, the road is great from there on. Bike Works just had a ride up there a few weeks ago.

Kilauea is erupting currently (32nd year of eruption), the latest lava flow may strike the town of Pahoa just before Ironman. Pahoa is not a small isolated rural village, it's a good sized town, not a good thing. There is and will be no way to view that flow should that happen though.

Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Sep 21, 14 15:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LIKE!
Thanks for this
As a first timer this is very helpful
Jono
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Survival [HKoldtimer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One other option is to swim at Hapuna Beach State Park. 15 minutes north on the Queen K. It's the swim start for Ironman 70.3 Hawaii. Great beach, fairly protected bay and slightly over 1/2 mile long from the north beach landing near the Mauna Kea hotel to the south rocky shore.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the spirit of offering tips to first-timers, on my one (and likely only) Kona race morning, it was so dark walking into town that another athlete walked right into a lamp post and knocked himself out. This was maybe 50 yards from the finish line. So, heads up out there!

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Survival [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
In the spirit of offering tips to first-timers, on my one (and likely only) Kona race morning, it was so dark walking into town that another athlete walked right into a lamp post and knocked himself out. This was maybe 50 yards from the finish line. So, heads up out there!

Ouch!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the great info so far. Our weather has been on the cool side in Northern Ontario so I'm looking forward to getting there 15 days ahead to acclimatize. I do have a few additional questions that I don't think have been answered.

1. I'd like to do some speedwork and testing on the track 10 days out from the race. Is the track at the high school open to the public?

2. Is there any soft dirt trails over relatively flat terrain that one could do a long run on.

Thanks again for all the great advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Survival [MadDaWg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadDaWg wrote:
Thanks for all the great info so far. Our weather has been on the cool side in Northern Ontario so I'm looking forward to getting there 15 days ahead to acclimatize. I do have a few additional questions that I don't think have been answered.

1. I'd like to do some speedwork and testing on the track 10 days out from the race. Is the track at the high school open to the public?

2. Is there any soft dirt trails over relatively flat terrain that one could do a long run on.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

The track at Kealakehe High School is usually open during non-school hours on weekdays (I think they started locking it tight on weekends, but I'm not positive though). That would mean in the afternoon and evenings. 400 yard dirt and cinder track. An alternative is early morning at Old Airport (past the pool and Makala), you can run 800 meter repeats there on the ocean side, flat but a bit potholed at places and there is traffic. In the mornings it's also usually windless so it feels even hotter.

There's a synthetic track at Konawaena High School but unless you're in south Kona I wouldn't drive to it and it used to be closed to the public at all times. (Another county pool is in that area though and it is open to the public)

2. That's much harder. There is Mana Road up in Waimea (Kameula). Google map it. About an hour drive from Kailua town. Just on the far side of Waimea. The road is paved, then gravel then red dirt. But it's also not flat and it is at about 4,000 ft/1200 meters elevation. There are some trail runs around town but I wouldn't recommend them in the days leading up to the big dance. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean trails aren't trying to hurt you!

I just do my long runs on the Queen K (ocean side both ways, stay on the far edge of the shoulder away from traffic on your return) or occasionally down at Honaunau. Honaunau is south of town (30 minutes in non traffic times). There's a National park there as well, but it can be horridly hot.

I'm likely forgetting some places, I'll add it in if I recall.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race Day Parking:

If you're driving into town or have family coming in to watch there are a few places to park that are (mostly accessible). The Lanihau Shopping Center (Sac n Save and Longs Drugs) has a big lot. Some of it is blocked off for real customers though. That can be accessed very very early (5am at the latest) by Palani and after that by heading down Henry Street from the Queen K towards the ocean, make the first right turn.

For parking later in the day, that lot works (you'll need to exit via Henry Street) as well as the Coconut Grove Market Place. That can be accessed only after the in town bike loop is opened up. Use the entrance up on Kuakini. A smattering of parking spots are found at the OLD Kasier Permanente building, just up above Kuakini on Hualalai. It's a bit of a walk but not bad for family members. Straight down Hulalai to the old hot corner. That would be the corner of Hualalai and Ali`i Drive, and one of the best spots to watch the run finish. Runners pass the spot 3 times during the race.

The corner of Makala and the Queen K can be accessed via the Macy's and K-Mart Shopping center entrance from the upper highway and Palani Rd (just before the Queen K). 11:30 to 2:45 is prime time there as the men's, women, elites and FOP of the 'average" age groupers will be coming in on the bike and the overall winner will be hitting it on the run just about the end of that time.

Other areas may be quite landlocked and not available for parking and if you do manage to park there you may find yourself unable to leave until close to midnight.

Some folks like to vierw their athletes out on the highway. Easiest spot is the turn to Costco (Hina Lani). have the drive the upper highway to Hina Lani and head towards the ocean then straight on down. they'll need to park well short of the intersection with the Queen K and Hina Lani and walk down. There's a popular (with late runners anyway) aide station there run by the folks at Costco.

The Energy lab is almost impossible to get to without walking as the approaches are closed to traffic.

Quote Reply

Prev Next