Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona RR - in memorium
Quote | Reply
Due to the joys of jetlag, I'm wide awake at 3:14am, cuz my body thinks it's 9:14pm. I had debated back and forth about whether I'd post a RR, and what I would include, or not. Sorry in advance if this is long, and maybe a bit of a downer to read.

Special thanks to my family and friends. In particular my wife and daugther, who are my biggest fans, and have sacrificed so much for me to do this race. People talk about what it 'costs' to do an IM, and particularly Kona, and the sacrifices that are made. I never realized the extent of what might be sacrificed for me to make it there.....

Ipo iki keiki (darling little child),

You came into our lives in the weeks following Lake Placid, and filled our hearts with hope, love, and expectation. While we only knew you for a very short time, you are and always will be a part of our ohana. One of the happiest days of my life was at 6 weeks when the ultrasound showed your little heart beating. One of the saddest was the day a month later in the Kona ER that another ultrasound showed that it had stopped...... While the nurses and doctors tried to assure me that this is something that happens, and the trip to HI had nothing to do with it, I still can't help but think that things might have been different had we not made the journey. When I got onto the bike and saw it was overcast, and actually even raining in the lava fields, I knew that greater forces were at work. Then I realized, you were protecting me, your mana was with me to give me kokua thru the day. I was thankful for the cooling rain, it helped hide and wash away my tears. I hope that means that you forgive me. I hope someday I can forgive myself. Mahalo and aloha. I will never forget you. You will always be in my heart.

Race week - arrive late Monday, in a downpour. We thankfully missed the earthquake and ensuing travel snafus, and other than my 3 y/o being awake for all but the last 10 minutes of our 10.5 hr direct flight (an endurance challenge that makes an IM pale by comparison), it was relatively uneventful. Tues we sleep in, the roll into town and have brunch at Lava Java. I get in an afternoon swim, then we go back and get settled in. Uh oh, my wife and I both now have nasty colds, with horrific runny noses - damn plane travel. Wed I get in another short swim, then we cruise up to Hawi, and my wife is shocked by the lava fields, you really have to ride thru all this? (I guess she's never seen it on TV). Have a nice lunch at Bamboo in Hawi, then do some touristy sightseeing for the rest of the day. But, we feel like crap, so no hiking, which means we missed out on some really good stuff. Thurs is one of the worst days of my life. Cathy wakes up w/ severe cramping and bleeding, and we rush to the local Urgent Care clinic, who send us to the ER at the hospital. After many hours of waiting, they get her in for the ultrasound, and then we get the bad news we'd feared..... I take Emma home (she's been a trooper all day), and we go back after the operation to take Mommy back home. Friday am I go thru the motions, I'm still gutted. What's the point? At least the SBR somewhat takes my mind off of things. Cathy wants me to do the race, so I agree that I will give it my best shot. We have a very nice meal at Jamesons that evening, and get to bed early.

Race am - I wake up, down 4 Ensures like usual, and get ready. (Silly me, set the alarm for 4:45 as opposed to 3:45, so I'm an hour behind. Didn't realize this until much later) Wanted to leave by 5:30 or so, we don't get out the door until after 6. Drive over, park way too far away, and walk down to the pier. I get there and it's already after 6:30, now I'm getting a little frantic. I drop off my pre-swim bag, then go get bodymarked. (I hear the National Anthem.) I am THE LAST person there, they are mostly packed up. (The Pros go off.) Then I drop off my bike special needs bag, head over to my bike to set up, pump up the tires, etc. I actually even remember the PT computer this time. I finally get into the water, 3 mins before the start. I swim casually out towards the line, and 20m away, the gun goes off.

The swim - ok, so I self-seeded by default. 20 mins into the swim, I suddenly realize that I don't know if I chipped in or not. Swell, this could be a very long expensive training day now. Nothing I can do about it, just keep swimming. Due to the seeding and being a crap swimmer, there is dramatically less contact during the swim, since there are a lot less bodies back here in the BOP. I hit the turnaround in 44 mins, and with a goal swim time of <1:30 (man's got to know his limitations), I think I'm right on pace and good to go. I am wrong. It takes nearly 55 mins to get back. Oy vey. I see my split upon exiting the water and know that any "smackdown" w/ Dev is now officially over, and I'm just out to finish as best I can. 1:39:41, 1549

T1 - uneventful. Great volunteer help. 3:52

The bike - I liked being able to do the shoes-on-bike mount, one less thing to deal with in T1. I don't feel all that great, but I keep on keeping on, taking it very easy. My watts are 200 +/- 20 or so pretty much all day, which is totally loafing it, but my #1 goal is to arrive fresh for the run, as I'm very fearful of the heat and humidity. I have pains in places I've never had before, my right knee is killing me, I have a hotspot on my right foot and my right big toe feels like a ten penny nail has been driven into the end of it. Amazingly it is overcast, and even rains a bit at the 20m mark at the beginning of the lava fields. I have a bit of an emotional weepy moment, but it's a long day and I can't go to pieces here. Even tho I'm taking it easy, I still pass tons of people like they have roots. I see Normann flying by the other way (didn't realize it was him, since I forgot that this year's Kuota is yellow), with a HUGE gap over the following riders. Game over, they'll never catch him. I also see Natasha is well back, wonder what's going on with her, not her day apparently. Very thankful to get to Hawi, as the descent is just what I need to take a break from the 3 hrs of steady pedaling. Hit a bit of headwind going back, but then it changes to a tailwind and I'm cruising at 25 mph and feeling good again. 2m from the end I pull the feet out of the shoes, sweet relief! 5:31:50, 1037.

T2 - uneventful, stopped for a pee break (didn't go at all on the bike) a minute well spent, and another awesome volunteer to help me in the tent. 4:03

The run - time for marathon #2. I'm zipping along Ali'i drive, dont see mile marker #1, but at #2 I'm at like 13:35, dude, you need to chill. I slow down to 7:30-7:45 pace the rest of Ali'i, and feel ok, stomach is a little queasy, but I can work around it. People are walking already - they are in for along day. My personal "new rule" - no walking on Ali'i Drive. The climb up Palani is brutal, I don't remember reading anything about this?.... and where did the damn mile markers go? That 3m stretch was 24:24, so I'm still clicking off ~8 min miles, which is all I need. Sheesh, the Queen K goes on forever, where is the damn Energy Lab?? "New rule" - no walking on the Queen K. Oh, there is is, be careful what you wish for. I hit the turnaround and I'm in survival mode, just keep moving. "New rule" - no walking in the Energy Lab. I'm just moving from aid station to aid station, cup of ice in the hat, some water, a gel here and there. Even though it is overcast, it's still pretty damn hot and humid, and my ice in the hat melts completely between aid stations in the Energy Lab. Back out on the Queen K, the prior "new rule" is still in effect, but now I'm doing some ~8:30 miles. Get back to town and absolutely fly down Palani Dr, yee ha, only a mile or so to go now! I pick it up, and see my AG # on a calf ahead of me turning onto Ali'i drive - do I chase him down? Hell yeah, it's a race. I blow past him, and then cruise up Ali'i drive, the birds in the banyan tree are almost deafening. I see 910 GO DADDIA (Daddia is my daughter's term of endearment for me) in chalk on the road, and I am psyched beyond belief. Then I see my wife yelling for me, and I high five her as I run by down the chute. 3:29:58, 752.

Overall 10:49:24, 752. I had modest goals for Kona, to have fun, to finish, in daylight, and a stretch goal of running <3:30. So, I got 'er done. Kona was a memorable experience, but frankly not one I'm in any rush to repeat. I am thankful I was able to have a decent race, as I would have been dishonoring all my family's sacrifices had I not given my best effort.

Mahalo for reading this. Aloha.

Since I sprung for the pics the day after the race, I don't think the fine folks at ASI will mind if I post these here.

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: Oct 31, 06 3:23
Quote Reply
Re: Kona RR - in memoriam [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michael, I'm so sorry for you and your family. Thank you for sharing and be well. Warmest regards to your wife.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to read about the loss of your little one. I will keep you, your wife and daughter in my prayers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done, ML...

My family's prayers are with your family...

Brian G.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Quote Reply
Re: Kona RR - in memorium [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MB-

I thought I detected a heavy heart in your PM.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family .

Having met your wife and wonderful daughter it was hard for me to read your RR . I can't imagine what you guys had to endure that day. I admire you for gutting out the race, and I couldn't agree with you more on honoring all the sacrficies your family made getting you to The Show.

I wish you all peace and healing my friend.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the race bro'.

My condolences to you and your family. Try not to beat yourself up too badly. Everything happens for a reason.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, having been through something very similar this year, I can say that I am truly sorry for your families loss. This is something that no family should have to go through.
We went through this ordeal over two months ago I still don't think I could write such a beautiful eloquent thoughts about it.
Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ML, thanks for the RR and pics. I am so sorry to hear about your family's loss. I am praying for you.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your loss.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to read about your familys loss.... your child is an angel watching over all of you!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow dude...I can't believe that you were even able to race with what you and your wife went through. Its just a race. I am glad you finished, but it is just a race. I hope your family is making out OK. Please pass on my best wishes. By the way, I still have your Epicman medal. I brought it to the pier race morning, hoping to see you had had it post race, also hoping to see you. Send me a PM and I'll mail it over to ya when I get home.

Finally that swim was totally unfair for you. You would have spanked me pretty good if we were not on an endless pool treadmill coming back to the pier!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your race report. We are all so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how difficult it is for you and your wife. You can't blame yourself or the race for what happened. We can't keep ourselves curled up in a ball in our beds our whole lives. We have to live and be out there.

I know you already know this, but you have the most amazing wife in the world if she was out there cheering you on just a few days later. You had a great day out there even without considering what you had been through. Congratulations for a solid race and for keeping things in perspective.

Dawn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your loss. We had a stillborn son years ago. My wife first learned of this when she was in labor and had to deliver knowing that that our son would be stillborn. Yes, it was the worst day of our lives.

We subsequently had two beautiful daughters who, as my wife said just the other day, would not have been born if our son had survived since we would probably have stopped at two kids.

All I can say from our experience is that "time does heal all wounds" and, at least in our case, we ended up blessed with two additional great kids. I hope you and your wife can also eventually get past this sorrow. Take care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike,

The fact that you raced, drawing strength from such a sad time says a lot about your character. I'm sure the 10 hours your wife and daughter spent cheering for you offered them great comfort and a welcome distraction. Great job, hopefully we'll run into each other sometime next season (you can teach me how to execute a sub 3:30 IM mary).

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Kona RR - in memorium [itseazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Itseazy, ML will teach us all how to run sub 3:30 as defending Epicman Champion !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry for your loss. I also want to say that you look like Tom Demerly.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race report and congratulations on even getting to the start line, never mind the finish line. That was quite a bike ride and marathon you put together!!!

I am so sorry for the loss you and your wife have suffered. Nothing any of us can say can dull the pain but please take comfort in knowing that us ST'ers thoughts are with you and spiritually we support you both. Please do not beat yourself up thinking that you had some part in contributing to your daughter's passing. As the doctors in Hawaii said it does happen unfortunately, life can be great and life can be equally cruel. Rest well and hopefully see you at Epicman next year.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mike,

Hanging out with you and your family after the race was one of the best parts of my day. At the time, I had no idea what you had been through during the week - you all seemed very much in the moment which I think is the best way to honour your little angel.

Thanks for sharing. My heart goes out to all three of you and you are in my thoughts.

Mike

PS - No sharing your off the bike running secrets with Ian - you promised to share them with me first and it's the only way I will ever catch him!

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very touching. Blessings on your family.

Quote | Reply
ML,

There aren't really words other than sorry for your loss. One thing I took away from that race is greater awareness of what's going on around me. Upon crossing the finish line I didn't think about being at the finish of the IMWC but rather how fortunate I was to have friends and loved ones in my life. It makes you realize how insignificant racing is and how much more imporant many other things are.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona RR - in memorium [mcoughlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the kind words, here and via PM.

Barry - I hope I didn't imply anything bad about my daughter, she's fine and dandy and as much of a handful as always. We lost our unborn child, near the end of the first trimester (we thought based on the very positive prior ultrasound at 6 weeks that we were in the clear, but since my wife is >40, that ended up being not the case, since the odds of miscarriage go way up as you age)

Dev - I'll be at EpicMan to defend my title, but I'll be showing up to a gunfight with little more than my d*ck in my hand (aka - unarmed) against the likes of you, Mikey C, Barry, and especially Ian and uber-ringer Jonnyo. I'm sorry I missed you all week, I wanted to hang out and BS with my main man, but it was not meant to be (I also still owe Paulo a raincheck on that overpriced wussy coffee-esque drink he wanted at Lava Java). I would have loved to be at the ST brunch rather than where I was, believe me.

BF - yes, I do have a passing resemblance to Mr. Demerly. Except he's a handsome dude, and I'm "one ahgly matha facka" as Ahhhnold would say.

Mikey C (and Ian) - I'll put my super-secret 'IM run off the bike' tips up to the highest bidder. Whichever onea you guys can help me out most w/ my swim, wins. Mike, it was my pleasure to spend time w/ you and your family, we enjoyed your company very much, you all are good people.

DawnT - my wife is a rock star. She rules. I don't know how she made it thru all that, but she did it. I am a very lucky man, and I tell her that often.

Thanks again to all for the sentiments. It helps, a lot.

-Mike

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing your story, it was very touching to read your words. We wish the best for you and your family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never cried reading an RR before until this one. I am so deeply sorry for your loss. No parent should ever have to go through what you and your family went through.

You are clearly a gifted runner. I wish I had something more to say that I know would put a smile on your face...

Sincerely, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know you ML,
I only hope I could show half as much courage in any part of my life.
Good luck, be well and nice race.

sz

"ah-hem...the time is yours."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race report and congrats on the finish! So sorry to hear about the miscarriage. My wife and I had the same thing happen. She was about 2 months pregnant when we went in for an ultrasound and no heartbeat. It was devastating, moreso to her because she had pinned so much excitement and hope on our first baby. We started trying a few months later and BINGO! Pregnant again, but this time it worked. Hang in there and give it another shot. That's the most fun part, right?

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next