Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona
Quote | Reply
I have never done Kona before but am racing there this year. Advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona [triklutz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Through qualification or lottery?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride as hard as you can until the turn around. From there it's all downhill with a tailwind so plenty of time to rest up for the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask Julie Miller. I'm sure she has analyzed the shit out of that course.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona [get2T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Legacy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of athlete are you? I have done the race twice 2012. 2014, both times it was really windy. I think first enjoy the experience, get there early and acclimate. Acclimation is key, swim often as possible, break the bike course up and ride each part. As for race the strategy that would be dependent on the level of athlete you are and your goals. Since you have raced at least 12 IM races you know what you are doing so I think it comes down to pacing and nutrition. Riding in wind and heat changes everything. Good luck! Make sure you go to the ST party..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triklutz wrote:
I have never done Kona before but am racing there this year. Advice?

http://badig.com/.../10/advice-for-kona/

Here's my advice.....

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: Kona [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone! And love your summary Badig!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop by and see us at the pier every morning demoing Goggles and Speedsuits for free. Then come to the expo and see us as we will have our 2016 Phantom wetsuit on display and a chance to win one as well as some other cool stuff.

Also try to enjoy the whole thing. It's really an amazing experience and I haven't even raced there.

TJ nailed it in his blog... We can set you up with some goggles so you'll be able to see on your swim out to the coffee boat...

(/end of my shameless plug)

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjfry wrote:
http://badig.com/.../10/advice-for-kona/
Here's my advice.....

What?!?
tjfry wrote:
YOU WILL NOT RUN IN SLOW MOTION TO INSPIRATIONAL MUSIC AND A DEEP VOICED NARRATOR.

Maybe I should stop rewatching NBC's Kona show for a while.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Kona [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be in red. Wasnt close to that last year, remember changed wind that hit us going out and coming back and sideways coming down from hawi.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona [bluetreefour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well aware of that. However, I read the initial post as a troll so gave a troll type response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced last year and it was one of the windier bike years but not as bad as 2004.

Swim was great, lined up in middle by big buoy about two deep. Nice going out and no problem getting back. The last 500 meters seemed slow and choppy, especially along the pier.

My advice would be to swim steady and if its going to be a windy day don't take it easy getting to Waikoloa. 15 minutes difference can mean a big difference in how the wind plays out from Waikoloa to the harbor. It seemed like I was making okay time to where you start dropping down towards Waikoloa and them bam. I don't think I had a tailwind the remainder of the ride. Head wind to Hawi then bad cross winds at time coming back down and a head wind for most of the ride back to town.

No advice for run but I was in the 50-54 AG and I thought I was in last place so don't get discouraged. As a whole, the field is very fast compared to other IM races.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona [lagoonakin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lagoonakin wrote:
Through qualification or lottery?

According to another thread that I started, the fact that you mention qualification/lottery means that you are an elitist, even if you have never been to Kona.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha. This one's good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kona [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
Stop by and see us at the pier every morning demoing Goggles and Speedsuits for free. Then come to the expo and see us as we will have our 2016 Phantom wetsuit on display and a chance to win one as well as some other cool stuff.

Also try to enjoy the whole thing. It's really an amazing experience and I haven't even raced there.

TJ nailed it in his blog... We can set you up with some goggles so you'll be able to see on your swim out to the coffee boat...

(/end of my shameless plug)

jake

Jake...my name is Darren...my Kayennes have given up the ghost. For your shameless plug I insist on a hook up for googles. :) Look forward to trying more Aquasphere products...love the goggles!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Have fun.
2. Be nice.
3. Thank volunteers and cops.
4. Refuse to be miserable. No whining. Walking is OK.
5. Go slower than you think you need to on the bike, and don't get stupid on the first part of the run.
6. Have a friend waiting at the bottom of Palani hill to tell you to wipe all the junk off your face so you look good in your finish line photo. (my husband did that for me, apparently I looked pretty ragged...)
7. You WILL cry at least once. It's OK, the emotion of the day will overcome you. Happy tears.
8. The last 15 minutes are worth the whole day and everything it took you to get there. Soak it up.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Kona [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading the last post from ST Concierge was awesome. I have learned in the past you can't cry and run at the same time you hyperventilate. :) Will remember the bit about wiping the sweat and snot off before the finish line.
Quote Reply