Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona/Maui honeymoon questions/suggestions
Quote | Reply
Well my fiancé and I are going on our honeymoon to Kona and Maui in a few weeks! We are staying at the King Kamehameha Courtyard from June 13th-17th then Sheraton Maui Resort 17th-23rd. We have some ideas on what we want to do, she is not a triathlete so I am also planning a bit of training as well, but wanted suggestions on can't miss ideas on both islands (she has been there before and won't do a helicopter ride or scuba dive!)

Also, hoping someone might be able to help me out with a bike? I know I can rent them but the shops I have talked to wanted reservations and I know I will be able to get out and ride a few times but I am just trying to go with the honeymoon and train when I can and not plan too much. So if anyone has anything that they would be willing to lend for a few days I would appreciate it! I ride 56 bikes but am sure I can fit 54-58 depending.

Thanks!!!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Kona/Maui honeymoon questions/suggestions [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pick a day she can go to the upcountry lavender farm or goat dairy and ride up Haleakala with pizza and beer in paia after. Best day on the bike ever

Maui cyclery for a rental or even a supported rode up (was worth it to me they set everything up and sagged for food etc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Well my fiancé and I are going on our honeymoon to Kona and Maui in a few weeks! We are staying at the King Kamehameha Courtyard from June 13th-17th then Sheraton Maui Resort 17th-23rd. We have some ideas on what we want to do, she is not a triathlete so I am also planning a bit of training as well, but wanted suggestions on can't miss ideas on both islands (she has been there before and won't do a helicopter ride or scuba dive!)

Also, hoping someone might be able to help me out with a bike? I know I can rent them but the shops I have talked to wanted reservations and I know I will be able to get out and ride a few times but I am just trying to go with the honeymoon and train when I can and not plan too much. So if anyone has anything that they would be willing to lend for a few days I would appreciate it! I ride 56 bikes but am sure I can fit 54-58 depending.

Thanks!!!

Take Trilogy out to Molokini for snorkeling. http://www.sailtrilogy.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On Maui...Definitely go for a ride if you can, head up the coast north of Lahaina there are some great roads, almost completely deserted and some amazing climbs. I've been about as far as Blowhole and it's brilliant out there. Check for exact segments on Strava to get a feel for the roads. I rented a Cannondake Supersix but can't remember the shop. It was right in Lahaina.

Highly recommend getting up to the volcano for sunset, it's amazing as well. It does get cold up there though. And you can't beat the Hana highway for scenery, that's a day trip in itself.

Enjoy it!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona/Maui honeymoon questions/suggestions [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@ ChrisM: That's a great idea. I will talk to her and see if theres something she would want to do for the day, or even just a few hours while I ride then we meet up and eat and drink the night/afternoon away.

@Erin C.: that snorkeling looks amazing. I think she is up for that. But even if she isn't she can hang out on the boat while I snorkel. She has experienced all this stuff before but I haven't so I want to live it up. But I think as long as she's not scuba diving shell be ok!

@jeremyebrock: I am planning on riding it is just a matter of when and for how long. We are going to drive the road to Hana because she is a bit nervous for me to ride it myself. I have been checking strava segments for weeks! Anything will be better than my boring loop around Lake Forest area around Chicago. Hills, volcanos, ocean...I am sure it'll be painful but it will be pretty!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
@ ChrisM: That's a great idea. I will talk to her and see if theres something she would want to do for the day, or even just a few hours while I ride then we meet up and eat and drink the night/afternoon away.

@Erin C.: that snorkeling looks amazing. I think she is up for that. But even if she isn't she can hang out on the boat while I snorkel. She has experienced all this stuff before but I haven't so I want to live it up. But I think as long as she's not scuba diving shell be ok!

@jeremyebrock: I am planning on riding it is just a matter of when and for how long. We are going to drive the road to Hana because she is a bit nervous for me to ride it myself. I have been checking strava segments for weeks! Anything will be better than my boring loop around Lake Forest area around Chicago. Hills, volcanos, ocean...I am sure it'll be painful but it will be pretty!

I can't imagine riding the road to Hana. The locals drive crazy fast along it, and then you've got all the tourists gawking around and not looking at the road. Was bad enough just driving it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't bother renting a bike on Kona, save it for maui…I would suggest brining your bike if you want more than a few rides.

If you want an "epic ride" (IMO better than the Volcano)

https://www.strava.com/activities/576431349

...I am fat and slow so you can take 1.5 hours off that time ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=3&theater

Or door to door from you west maui loop at about 100km or 4 hours for you (give take)

The road is much better than years past (east maui) but still 10km/6miles of rough stuff. From Paia much better and 10km less than leaving from the sugar cane factory.

Go to black rock beach (5 min walk from your door)…honestly never been there in 5X to Maui…but 5 min walk

Haleakela at sunrise then a run/hike in the crater with wife/fiancé/SO, stop for coffee at the lavender farm and rescue a chameleon on the way down ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=3&theater

Go for a swim at Lahaina pool then to "Kimo's" for happy hour. (free pool…kihei pool may still be under construction)

Snorkeling at Molokini is a fun day trip.

In Kihei go to "fred's" for happy hour or mexican..or for something nicer, half price happy hour sushi at "Sorento's" or evening meal at Cafe o lei.

Sorry, that's about all I have for now…we are way past the point of "romantic" trips to Maui…we just ride and try and hit certain places for happy hour once the work is done.

Cheers,
Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: May 29, 16 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're doing Kona all wrong, bro. Wait until October.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Kona/Maui honeymoon questions/suggestions [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I was thinking about bringing my bike but didn't want to deal with having to travel with it. Those rides look fun and tough! But I guess anything with any hills is tough for me since the only inclines I have are over overpasses!

But black rock beach was on my list since it looks pretty cool. The pool suggestion is great too. I hadn't looked into pools in the areas since I figured I might as well just swim in the ocean but my fiancé gets a bit nervous that I will get eaten by a shark! And I can't say that the thought hasn't crossed my mind either!

Love the restaurant suggestions too. We want to try to eat good local places while we are there so we can soak up the most island feel we can!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thoroughly enjoyed swimming at blackrock - two weeks ago!

I usually swim at the Kihei aquatic centre but it was closed for renovations

Back and forth along the shoreline, and then along the rocks - incredible sea turtles there - I swam with one side by side for nearly 30 mins. won't forget that swim ever!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona/Maui honeymoon questions/suggestions [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! See that is why I want to swim in the ocean. I will check out some different pools but don't really want to go out of my way in Hawaii to stare at a black line that I can stare at while swimming at home all the time!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah - not much to see along the shore but once to get near those black rocks where everyone snorkels it's very cool
Quote Reply
Re: Kona/Maui honeymoon questions/suggestions [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet! I will make sure to find a good spot to swim with some turtles. Maybe I can get a dolphin to lead me out like they do in Kona sometimes!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been to both places:
Kona, yep take the helicopter ride. In my opinion if you have to make a choice between the volcano or the falls. Take the valley of the falls.
* Akaka Falls
* Volcano National Park
As a triathlete obviously
* Swim on the IM course, Swim the IM 70.3 Course ( Although that is a great beach just to hang out at all day)
* Ride the Queen K, Up to Hawi, and surrounding roads
Maui
* Drive the road to Hana ( Heck I wanted to ride it, but did not get my bike soon enough) , stop at some on the beaches along the way and botanical gardens.(bring mosquito repellent)
* Ride the West Maui Loop ( Rent from West Maui cycles in Lahaina not to far away from your hotel). 70 miles Sufferfest of the beauty. Serious this is a Hot, Hilly, Hard ride. But just incredible views. If you cannot ride it, drive part of it from the Lahaina side ( The road is not open to traffic all the way around, and gets VERY narrow)
* Swim at Airport Beach next to your hotel
* The aquarium is pretty cool. (it may mess with your head the next time you swim but worth it)
* On the drive to Hana, stop at Anthony Coffee House in Paia. Best Choc Chip cookie I have ever eaten.
* Sunrise on the Volcano (I did not make the trip, but everyone says that I missed out on that one)

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Kona/Maui honeymoon questions/suggestions [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing suggestions! But why question is why didn't you lead with best chocolate chip cookie"?!

I don't think I've heard about the falls as much so great input! I am loving all these suggestions from everyone. I'm now hoping we have enough time!!! Is the IM course marked? Or is the far buoy out? Or boat that signifies the turn?

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At some point go get a massive burger at Cheeseburger in Paradise. Right on the water, great location.

And agreed, don't try to ride the Hana highway, it's too sketchy...if there were no cars on it, then it would prob be awesome but even at that, it's a literally 650 turns in 50 miles or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a buoy way out there or at least there was last time I was there.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Kona/Maui honeymoon questions/suggestions [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! Well i guess I should get used to my fiancé being right all the time! I won't tell her about the ride to Hāna being sketchy though. I'll just forgot about it, ha.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't read any of the other responses... just go to Mama's Fish House when you're in Maui! Very romantic.. best meals of our lives! We've gone back for a number of anniversaries..

Edit: Saw someone say to swim at black rock - definitely! From the westin down to blackrock and then back up to the Westin.. I see sea turtles almost every time!
Last edited by: .david.: May 29, 16 20:36
Quote Reply
Re: Kona/Maui honeymoon questions/suggestions [.david.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am getting my hopes up for these sea turtles!!! Any idea if my fiancé could paddle board out there while I swim? I'd assume yes but wasn't sure.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Returning from Maui as I respond. Sitting in San Fran waiting for my flight to Chicago.

Stand up paddle boarding for your fiancé while you swim is definitely doable. Turtles can be found many places but way more numerous along the rocky shore.

Riding on Maui is fantastic. More difficult than Chicago but worth it. West Maui loop is great. Clockwise is great, about 4 hours of ride time. Be ready for rain on the eastern part of the island. Check out gocyclingmaui if you want to ride with some experienced locals. Riding up Haleakala is a great ride but a good challenge. It is definitely a days worth of effort, better than 5 hours up and about 1 1/2 hours down. Be prepared if you do the ride. Bring arm and leg covers, a jacket and full fingered gloves. I hit rain at 8000 feet coming down and nearly froze, and I had all the clothing. The ride to Hana is worth it on a bike. Be a defensive rider.

If you drive to Hana, be adventurous and walk in to see some great falls. It is possible to drive around both major parts of the island. Some of the best adventures are where few tourists go.

Be sure to jump off Black Rock at the Sheraton. Not real high but still fun to do.

Maui is awesome, you will love it!
Last edited by: sbeutler: May 29, 16 21:32
Quote Reply
Re: Kona/Maui honeymoon questions/suggestions [sbeutler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet! Thanks a lot!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
I am getting my hopes up for these sea turtles!!! Any idea if my fiancé could paddle board out there while I swim? I'd assume yes but wasn't sure.

You'd probably want it. I was training for a 10k swim last time we were there so did a lot of swimming, mostly in the bay in front of the 4 seasons /grand Wailea. It does get a little spooky out there alone especially if you swim around a headland and it gets a little bumpy as it shallows out. And you are most definitely in tiger shark country , I find it a little more nerve racking and I swim in so cal where great whites are often seen

Also people like sunrise on Haleakala. Last time we were there we swapped it up so we didn't have to rise at 4 am and did sunset. Same thing just in reverse. :)
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 30, 16 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Kona/Maui honeymoon questions/suggestions [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just driving on those one lane sections of west maui loop was one of the scariest moments of my life, took it on our way to waihee ridge trail,
Quote Reply
Re: Kona/Maui honeymoon questions/suggestions [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well now you just scared the crap out of me! And I can't tell her because she is healthy afraid of sharks! Which doesn't make sense that she wanted to go to Hawaii as her top spot! But oh well. We will make the most of it even if I don't get too crazy with ocean swimming.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next