Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kinvara vs Zoot vs the world
Quote | Reply
This is ONLY MY opinion. If you want straight up facts, leave now. I'm thin skinned and can't take the flaming. I'm likely going to get in trouble with Zoot for posting this. But it's MY truth. Several asked for it, it's not a commercial, so here it is.

For clarity, I have been doing tri's since 2008 and running since 2005. I am barely a sub 1:30 13.1 runner (just ran NYC 13.1 in 1:29), barely sub 39 10k, barely sub 19 5k, and I have yet to run a good marathon (mostly IM runs, last open marathon was 2009). I'm 38 @ 5'9" at 150 lbs on race day, right now I'm pleasantly plump (158lbs). I'm average at all 3 sports. I'm a better swimmer and cyclist than runner, but I like running the most. Lately hitting a decent run of AG podiums and some 70.3 Clearwater/Vegas slots. I run 40+ mpw in tri training, 60+ mpw for marathon season (but keep getting stupid none running injuries right before the race). I like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain....

I just joined Zoot, but I have always worn their stuff. So I'm not just in it for the name or just to be part of a team, I actually believe in their gear (still waiting on new wetsuit from them so not entirely sold on ALL equipment). That being said, I like to try out a LOT of gear and shoes, I love testing stuff out (electronics as well as tri gear, still can't find a good purpose for the Pebble). Not because it might be the magical equipment to make me faster, but I'm looking for the best in class. Wetsuits - BlueSeventy Helix is the king. I'm looking for the Helix killer. I think it might be Roka. I'm waiting on the new Zoot Prophet 2 to test out side by side with the Roka, Helix, and Nineteen Rogue. Bikes - well, the fit is the fit is the fit. Best in class right now, likely the Trek SC, Shiv, or most likely, the P5. After owning a Felt DA, P4, BMC TM01, and a few others, I still go back to my Look 596 from 2010 (it works for me).

Now, shoes. Kinvara versus the world. When Kinvara came out, I had one of the first pair. My buddy Eugene turned me onto them. Loved them. So did the rest of the world. Kinvara 1, 2, and 4 (3 sucked!!!)
Low weight, 4mm drop, well cushioned, very flexible, stylish, extra eyelets at the ankle for secure fit, nice heel inner liner. My go to shoe for any distance running. Training everyday, you bet. Raining out, yep. Trail, you betcha. Love kinvara. Virratta was nice too, but broke down VERY fast. The outside forefront and midfoot sole crushed within 100 miles for me and I ended up running on the very outside of my foot with little stability. Kinvara has a similar issue, but only after 200 miles (about 1 month for me). The worst thing about the Kinvara 3 is the pinky toe area of the upper mesh rips through after 3 weeks. Not a game stopper, but annoying. The Saucony A4 and A5 were my go to shoe for most 10k and shorter speed races.

I have tried most shoes. On Running, K-Swiss, Nike, all Saucony, Brooks, Mizuono, Asics, Sketchers, Zoot, Pearl Izumi, VFF, New Balance, Merrell, Skora, Adidas, etc.

That is a small sample of the shoes I was about to donate to Japan in 2010 or 2011. I was not part of Zoot team at the time.

As much as I love Kinvara, I race all tri's except full IM's in Zoots. I ran my fastest 70.3 in the Zoot Ultra Kiawe at Pocanos 70.3.

Here is my breakdown:
Ultra Kiawe - 6mm drop, very little cushioning, great grip and feel for the road. Sockless with no rubbing and/or blisters. Easy on, very light, excellent drainage. My go to shoes for sprints to 70.3. I was afraid of the 4mm drop I was used to with Kinvara, but there is no noticeable difference with 6mm. The shoes are much lighter than the kinvara and feel awesome off the bike. I recommend a weeks worth of threshold low mileage in them before racing in them. They break in pretty easily. Good for about 150 - 175 miles before the very front of the forefront gets worn down.

Ultra Race - The boa system might be a gimmick, but its a GREAT gimmick. The boa system really works well for me, especially when my feet swell. This will likely be my 140.6 shoe this summer at Challenge AC. Yes, there is a 8mm drop, but it isn't noticeable until you are too tired to continue the forefront running and start heel striking due to fatigue. At that point, you'll be glad the cushioning is there. Otherwise the heel doesn't get in the way. Great drainage and great sockless, but I refuse to go sockless for 26.2 miles.

Ultra Ali'i - Good luck finding these. The Ali'i 13 changed a lot. The boa system is fantastic and the ride is great, EVEN with the 8mm drop. Interesting note, the toe box is curved up and puts you into a forefront position. The 8mm drop is not noticeable until you get tired. Like after you run a tempo or fartleck and you slow down to recovery pace, THEN you feel the heel, but it disappears again when you ramp up the speed again. Very stable platform too.

I'm not much into the TT or other trainer shoes from Zoot right now, but I am really looking forward to the new Zoot Solana. It might be the Kinvara killer for the tri world and the run world. The Solana is suppose to come out at the same time as the new Ali'i 14 and I believe they both have the same EVA sole which makes for a great ride. The Solana will have traditional laces while the Ali'i 14 will have the new Boa soft wire which is plastic instead of metal wire.

So to those that asked about trying out Zoots after loving the Kinvara, I suggest the Ultra Kiawe (the newest version is 2.0, but it is the same as the 1.0) for anything up to 13.1 miles. If you can't wait for the Solana or Ali'i 13, than I would give the Ultra Race a try. They are a bit expensive, so try to find a retailer that also has a treadmill so you can try them.

But I am REALLY looking forward to the Solana. I think it will be a game changer.

BTW, the BEST product Zoot makes - the recovery sandals!!! Nothing like black recovery compression socks hiked up to the knees and a pair of Zoot Recovery sandals!! Chicks dig it!!

(who am I kidding, I'm married with 4.5 kids, chicks don't dig me at all...)
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara vs Zoot vs the world [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I had a shoe fetish.......

Seriously though, great post and great information. Hope Zoot keeps you around.
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara vs Zoot vs the world [yorkcb7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yorkcb7 wrote:

I'm a bit jealous

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara vs Zoot vs the world [yorkcb7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yorkcb7 wrote:

Zach is safe with us. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was debating writing a similar post about my experience with the Ultra Race 4.0. I'm a sub-16, sub-35, 1:20 runner and not as light as you are. I used to be a Kinvara lover, switched to the Ultra Race 4.0 (cushy insole but firm and responsive) this season and haven't turned back. I actually think I like them even more after every run. I pulled out my Kinvara 4s from Kona for a run this week to delay having to order a new pair shoes again - absolutely hated them compared to the Ultra Race 4.0. I too have high hopes for the Solana but would like to see them with the BOA system option as well - as you said, a gimmick but an awesome gimmick indeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Zoot would add a bit more cushioning to the Keawe, they'd have a Kinvara killer in my opinion. The Keawe is the most comfortable shoe I've ever owned, and I love the low drop. I just wish it had a bit more foam under foot for longer runs. Keep the drop, keep the absolutely perfect upper, keep the neutral feel, and give my old ass some more cushion. If Zoot did that, I might never buy a different pair of shoes again.
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara vs Zoot vs the world [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Zoot gods are listening...

I think the Ali'i 14 will be VERY close to what people want. I can't wait to try them.

I know the design team wanted to stay with the 8mm and 6mm drop for shoes as they found that was the sweet spot for a lot of people. I honestly can't feel a difference between 4mm and 6mm. I can feel 8mm only when I get tired.

And I agree about the boa system. I think it was Kona 2012 that had the boa tent and they were putting their systems on any and all shoes. I would love for Boa to sell a home kit for athletes to add them to any shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually run in 4mm shoes, but 6mm doesn't bother me. It's the jump to 8mm in their more cushioned shoes that I don't like. The Keawe is, to me, the perfect 5K shoe. I want the same thing, but in a marathon shoe. I have no association with Zoot whatsoever, but I tell people all the time that I think the Keawe is a better shoe than the Kinvara for fast middle-distance running.

I'm looking forward to trying out the Alii 14 when they're available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what do you think of the Kiawe for IM distance? FYI I currently run in Kinvaras but looking for something that I can use sockless and with good drainage. I think I'd be ok with something "lighter" / less cushioned than the Kinvara for IM distance (eg A5) - what do you think?

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara vs Zoot vs the world [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you think the A5 would be enough for you, then the ultra kiawe will work for you. I feel like the kiawe is a lot like the A5 but with just a bit more cushion. Probably their best sockless shoe comfort wise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you wear the ultra race at challenge ac? If so, how did it go?
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara vs Zoot vs the world [CreepingDeath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DNS for challenge ac. Severely sprained ankle after 2 months, MRI results coming Thursday. Likely need surgery as they think I have a bone or cartiledge fragment wedged in the joint.

Regardless, I would have used the zoot solana as I got my pair 2 weeks ago. Super comfortable, but they get a bit heavy when wet. There is a lot of cushioning around the inside heel and it absorbs water like a sponge. The ultra race would have been a much better shoe for a hot humid day when you are going to be pouring water on your head.

However, a race like IMLP, if no threat of rain in race day, I would use the solana.

Also, I just tried on a pair of the new fast twitch from Saucony, man did they mess up that shoe. It was a great shoe for 10k's and half marathons, but they changed the tongue and the upper material.

Kinvara 5 is pretty sweet for training, back to basics like the kinvara 1 and 2, very flexible. I still have an issue with the laces though. I think the new zoot Ali'a with soft wire boa will do well in the wake of kinvara 5, especially as a long course race shoe.

Ultra race is still my favorite distance shoe all around. Solana for race day and long run days in cool dry temps. Kinvara 5 when I when I need a long slow run and my solana's are still wet from 2 days ago (yep, like a sponge).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the bum foot.
Now I'm never one to say the shoe is the reason for the run. In fact I'm just the opposite. Fast runners can run in just about anything and still run fast. I've worked with Ben Hoffman for 3 years now on shoes. He's not overly picky. He's a company guy and loves whatever we give him. In May at St. George we both ran in the Solana. Needless to say it's a hot race with lots of water pouring on the head. We both chose the Solana for the 2nd half of that run which is really hot and really hard on the body if you try to run it hard. We both did that, he in a sprint and me because I sucked the first half of the run. The end result was no soreness from the pounding downhill and some good hard running at the finish. I never noticed extra weight from water and Ben never commented as much.
Fast forward to this past weekend in Idaho. Ben ran 2:43:59 in the Solana.

This is not an blatant plug. In fact I'll give you this. The first thought of the Solana came when my very fast running son tried on numerous shoes and chose the Saucony Kinvara. It took 2 years from that purchase to having him run 400 miles in the Solana this Spring. The two shoes are similar in construction but different enough to deserve a place in the market.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara vs Zoot vs the world [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, I hate disagreeing on Slowtwitch, but I must stand by my convictions. I can't load a pic to ST from my iPhone, but I put a pic on my Facebook showing the difference between the Ultra Race 4 and the Solana. The liner around the heel is much thicker.

Now, maybe it's all relative. Maybe I need a reason for why my run has slowed so much, besides the ankle (which I rolled in a non-zoot shoe). But when I raced an oly at Quassy a few weeks ago, my shoes were drenched from a run in a rain storm the night before and in MY opinion, they felt heavy. But this is in comparison to the Zoot Ultra Kiawe I usually use for a 10k. I thought the Solana would help with the ankle, which I think it did.

The solana is a great cushioned shoe, on par with Kinvara, and I would even suggest better for a lot of triathletes that want the extra cushioning. The Solana seems to have more fabric liner than the kinvara. I just felt that it retained more water than the Ultra Race or the Ultra Kiawe, especially since they both have drain holes and the Solana doesn't.

I plan to use the Ultra Kiawe and Race 4 for the rest of my Tri races and then switch to the Solana for marathon season. Maybe I won't get injured this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Kiawe and Race are race day shoes. Race day shoes are not built for comfort. They are built so you can run as fast as your body is trained to run. The Solana is a training shoe. One you pull out if your closet daily to run in. Although it is light and Ben races in it, it is built for comfort. So yes there is more padding in the heel for comfort. There is more under your foot for comfort. There is a tongue and regular shoe laces for comfort. This is why I chose to race a really hard run course in a comfortable shoe. I raced last week in an Olympic with a flat run. I did not care about comfort I wanted to feel fast. I chose the Kiawe no socks. No blisters but my feet could feel the run after the race.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara vs Zoot vs the world [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, that was kind of my point. I ran the oly 10k in the Solana and it felt heavy compared to the Kiawe.

Looking forward to seeing the new soft boa on the Ali'a.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:

Looking forward to seeing the new soft boa on the Ali'a.

Come again?

Quote | Reply
I believe the new zoot ali'a will use the plastic wire boa system instead of the metal wire. If I remember correctly, it also had a similar sole to the Solana. Comfort and speed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any photos of this? Or just rumor for now? Would love to see a non-wire boa with some "give" to it.

Quote | Reply
I think Zach had a picture of it. I held it in my hands and can confirm it is plastic.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara vs Zoot vs the world [Jayhox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not being a jerk, just slightly lazy, but you can do a search on ST for ali'a and there should be a pic I posted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Found it:

http://www.forum.slowtwitch.com/..._Alii_2014_P5027505/

Have to check it out tonight as the photos won't show for me at work.

Quote | Reply
They are also selling it at Roadrunner Sports. Too bad it is facking ugly as hell. The Ultra Race 2014 is a thing of beauty.

Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
DNS for challenge ac. Severely sprained ankle after 2 months, MRI results coming Thursday. Likely need surgery as they think I have a bone or cartiledge fragment wedged in the joint.

Regardless, I would have used the zoot solana as I got my pair 2 weeks ago. Super comfortable, but they get a bit heavy when wet. There is a lot of cushioning around the inside heel and it absorbs water like a sponge. The ultra race would have been a much better shoe for a hot humid day when you are going to be pouring water on your

So, say like Louisville. Hot, humid, pouring water....

Sorry to hear about your foot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those who tried Kinvara 5 and Solana, how wide is the toe box in Solana relative to Kinvara 5 ? Latest Kinvara finally have a wider toe box, wondering if the Solana can also accomodate my wide forefoot... Thanks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next