Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer
Quote | Reply
I'm sure most of you just saw this.

Can you say 21st century Computrainer?

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Rainmaker has tested it

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ahoo-kickr-snap.html

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 30, 15 10:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me it looks like a more expensive version of the Tacx Vortex Smart, especially since Tacx opened up Ant+ compatibility options just four weeks ago. These new classes of power trainers should ring the death knell for Computrainer.

sciguy wrote:
I'm sure most of you just saw this.

Can you say 21st century Computrainer?

Hugh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, if it looked like a CompuTrainer there would be a rats nest of wires leading to a 1970's tv remote. And where's the $150 cadence sensor.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
Nah, if it looked like a CompuTrainer there would be a rats nest of wires leading to a 1970's tv remote. And where's the $150 cadence sensor.

Hey, I did say a 21st century Computrainer;)

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a cycleops powerbeam, I think people forget they exist

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waiting for Dave to respond in this thread....
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waiting for h2ofun to peddle his Velotron
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interesting! I was planning on getting a computrainer this winter but this looks like a great alternative. It's essentially about half the price of a CT but much more modern. The big question will be its stability - don't want the drift in power (or lack of accuracy) that has been discussed at length about the kickr. Would be nice to see some data over long rides...

Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
Very interesting! I was planning on getting a computrainer this winter but this looks like a great alternative. It's essentially about half the price of a CT but much more modern. The big question will be its stability - don't want the drift in power (or lack of accuracy) that has been discussed at length about the kickr. Would be nice to see some data over long rides...

If such an issue exists, would you expect it to be any different with a model based on the same technology?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
To me it looks like a more expensive version of the Tacx Vortex Smart

Hugh

Yup, only thing the kickr snap has is the btle control via some apps that talked wahoo's api.

Hoping my 810 gets FE-C if not, it's going on the girl's bike when the 820 comes out.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Last edited by: P90Puma: Jul 1, 15 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
Cobble wrote:

If such an issue exists, would you expect it to be any different with a model based on the same technology?
Well it is clearly somewhat different technology, as the braking mechanism is now applying a breaking force directly on the wheel, which means different hardware and with that different firmware. I don't think it was ever specified whether the drift issue is hardware or firmware related. Also, the accuracy is spec'ed differently - 5% for the Snap vs 3% for the original (per the website). That also suggests it is somewhat different. So I think we won't know until some early adopters have a chance to try it out.

Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
J_R wrote:
Cobble wrote:

Well it is clearly somewhat different technology, as the braking mechanism is now applying a breaking force directly on the wheel, which means different hardware and with that different firmware. I don't think it was ever specified whether the drift issue is hardware or firmware related. Also, the accuracy is spec'ed differently - 5% for the Snap vs 3% for the original (per the website). That also suggests it is somewhat different. So I think we won't know until some early adopters have a chance to try it out.

Both are electromagnetic load generators. One with a friction roller to the load generator and the other with a belt to the load generator. It seems unlikely that these are based on two different load generator technologies.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
Cobble wrote:
J_R wrote:
Cobble wrote:

Both are electromagnetic load generators. One with a friction roller to the load generator and the other with a belt to the load generator. It seems unlikely that these are based on two different load generator technologies.

I agree. I would expect it to be near identical in real function and resistance hardware to the original kickr. I'm guessing Wahoo bumping this up to a 5% margin of accuracy is because you are introducing the tire contact into the mix now. So that is one more variable to impact accuracy. I would expect the basic characteristics and "flaws" to exist on the snap. Major perks to the snap are cost and powertap users can still use their external powermeter.

I also agree that tacx is a major contender now too. The only thing I haven't seen on the tacx is how well is the "real" feel of this trainer. The huge flywheel on the kickr really creates a good road simulation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been lusting after a KICKR for a while, and while the SNAP has everything I want, the savings of $350 doesn’t make me want to jump on it. In fact, it pushes me away from it because when I am at the price point of $849, it becomes less about saving money & more about getting exactly what I want. In this case, I would say that if I’m already willing to pay a premium for a trainer, why get a standard roller trainer with all the negative nuances (i.e. wheel slip, tire dust, having a separate wheel/tires, etc) when I can get a KICKR trainer for just $350 more.

Pricing the SNAP at $599 or even $649 would make me jump all over it. But at $849, I may as well keep going up to $1199 & get the KICKR.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the new SNAP

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pricing does seem to be somewhat off target. DCR alluded to as much in his initial write up. Sure it's cheaper, but still not as cheap as the BKOOL and some of the Tacx offerings for smart trainers.

Wahoo's defense I imagine is that they have the largest compatible software library and that ought to be worth a premium. That is certainly true to a point, but I think I still would rather just wait until some sort of big sale to grab to KICKR instead of buying a snap. I think I got my KICKR at or right around the snap MSRP through a performance bike black Friday sale a year or two back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I right in thinking I don't need this if I have a PM on me bike and a normal trainer?

If yes, seems better to put the cash into a bike PM and use that everywhere.. ?

Cool if folks wanna splash the cash but having both for me would just start a PM data validity argument.. which I could do without..

(Rollers and towell.... )
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never understand why some just go nuts about wires. My trainers have wires, they are routed, and I never touch anything.

Same thing on my computers around my house and TV's. All connected with hard wiring.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So in summary with my rollers a towel and a piece of tape with a session written on it i have this shit covered ;).. gottit

Kidding, mostly.. I use a CycleOps fluid 2 and a PM.. sessions are whatever i design them to be.. use the PM to gauge etc.. and then of course the rollers...

That said i'll always try and ride outdoors.. days of dying on the turbo are long in the past...
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha I also have young kids.. the sessions are the escape to maintain a grip on normality... it's not really working ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I never understand why some just go nuts about wires. My trainers have wires, they are routed, and I never touch anything.

Same thing on my computers around my house and TV's. All connected with hard wiring.

I feel like now would be a good time to quote all of your posts about wireless shifting. Hypocrite much???
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Snap- Hmmmm looks a bit like a Computrainer [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I feel like now would be a good time to quote all of your posts about wireless shifting. Hypocrite much???

Wireless shifting = no wires/cables that create drag. This is not a factor on a trainer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next