Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kickr Climb [Eshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...cline-simulator.html

Looks like it's been officially announced. Also, it's only compatible with the new new Kickr (and new Snap), I guess Kickr 2.5?https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...kr-2017-edition.html
[/url]

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [jsfarmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As you saw the new Kickr and climb were announced today.
I also found a video.

An interesting tidbit, It looks like the climb can do up to +10 and -10.

I wouldn't but surprised if slowtwitch has more information on this soon.

And BOOM. DC Rainmaker has a review! Check it out.

--------------------------

TEAM HONEY BADGER
Last edited by: jsfarmer: Aug 30, 17 6:34
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The old kickrs are compatible with bikes like Andean and P5-x, you would just need to buy the thru axle adapter from Wahoo.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm calling Wahoo in about 10 minutes to ask them about this. I'll let you know what they say.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just called Wahoo. If you have Kickr version 2, it is not compatible with Kickr climb. You have to buy the 2017 Kickr. There are no plans to have upgrades available for Kickr 2 owners to allow them to use Kickr Climb.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if so, doing a wheelie means you can climb 200% grades, uh huh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not in the market for a new bike trainer but this looks cool and seems like it would make zwift even more fun. and I wonder if cycleops will do something similar and work with their virtual training software riding on actual courses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I just called Wahoo. If you have Kickr version 2, it is not compatible with Kickr climb. You have to buy the 2017 Kickr. There are no plans to have upgrades available for Kickr 2 owners to allow them to use Kickr Climb.

Does the 2017 Kickr have any differences than the most recent version, other than the ability to work with the Climb?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it has more through axle support. The Kickr v2 only does 12x100.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

Sorry....but what does 12x100 mean?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
12x100 mm through axle

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beat me to it. Just got emailed back from wahoo about compatability or lack thereof.

I have a V1 kickr and would totally buy this if there were a conversion kit, I would also consider upgrading to V2 if it was compatable/conversion kit. But I am not buying a brand new unit to than drop another $600 on the climb, exchange rates to Canada just make it absolutely insane.

I would hope wahoo is looking into this as I really don't think there is a huge market for $1800 bike trainers, but there are lots of dentists out there, so who knows

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Last edited by: Leavitt: Aug 30, 17 8:44
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently they tried to make it work with Kickr V2 but couldn't make it happen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The review on DC Rainmaker's site explains why backwards compatibility is not possible. It sounds like they tried, but couldn't make it work.

I would give them a pass on it. But I don't own their trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

That's incorrect. 12x100 is a FRONT through-axle standard. The older KICKRs supported only 12x142 through-axles, but it was through the use of an adapter-kit that turned the through-axle into a quick-release with some machined spacers.

It's not clear to me whether this updated version follows that same model - a modified QR with machined spacers - or if you can use the actual through axles through the frame to anchor the bike. From the pics I have seen - including in Ray's quick-take - it APPEARS as if it may be actual native through-axle support (meaning you use the through-axle directly with spacers). Ray seems to show spacers that have a 12mm hole. That'd be a big upgrade for folks with through-axles over the current system.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops! Thanks for correcting that

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsfarmer wrote:
And BOOM. DC Rainmaker has a review! Check it out.

The animated GIF made me think of this scene (starts at 1:20):

Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never tried playing with my trainer angle, but can definitely confirm that after going to the Alps recently that steady power output going up Alpe d'huez, Telegraphe and Galibier did things to my lower back muscles that I've never experienced putting out similar or higher power for the same duration on flat fast rides. Didn't really understand why at the time since when climbing I can adjust my position a lot more than a fast flat ride when I tend to stay in the drops the whole time with very little movement. I thought it might have had something to do with heat or altitude but your gravity and stabilisation explanation makes more sense.

Back on this new gadget, it does seem a bit of a gimmick to me, but then I only ride my trainer to hit specific power numbers and not to simulate outdoor riding (which I do plenty of - outdoors). So I use trainerroad and entertain myself with a movie, and never got into Zwift. If you want to make your indoor riding more realistic and live Zwift, then I guess this could be a good buy. I'd be very surprised if there was measurable training benefit, other than that if it makes you enjoy training more you'll end up doing more of it which is always good!
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't looked at the DC review yet, if they tried to make it work than fair enough.

I am no engineer, so I have no understanding of how it all works. I also don't know all the differences between V1, V2 and V3 but somehow they put a man on the moon, so I kind of find it hard believe there is no way to have a conversion kit, I also don't have a through axle bike so I dont need that adaptation. So is there a way to make a non through axle conversion? I am sure there is a market for that?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new version has a bushing that allows the bike to pivot. The older versions simply compresses the dropout to the kickr. There is a disc brake through axel issue too, but the main one is that your dropouts would get shredded over time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure someone will find a way to make it work. Just curious if the climb knows it's a version 3 vs 2 and won't automatically work.

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [jmeitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be clear, I think there's two levels of 'make it work':

A) Yes, it goes up and down, and then 4 months later your dropouts snap due to stress. Hopefully indoors, but potentially outdoors in a really bad spot.
B) Yes, it goes up and down, and doesn't do damage to the bike (short term or long term)

I suspect someone will find a way to make 'A' work in many cases. It's 'B' that's likely going to be more variable.

Of course, it's mostly academic since at present the KICKR itself is what sends control commands to CLIMB.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ray,
Do you know if it will sync with the kickr 2 and can be controlled by it?

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough, they tried, it doesn't work, it is what it is. I'll take option C from rainmakers list which is no wear on the dropouts and no issues with the bike moving forward!

Just thinking out loud, I would wonder if there is a way to ship older versions back to wahoo and have them rebuild the hub to allow it to be compatible. I'm guessing based on weight of the unit, the shipping cost would be quite high, but just wondering!

Also wondering if wahoo has considered a trade in program where they buy your unit, which they turn around and sell as a referb, and sell you a new version and climb as a package. Not sure how the financials of that would work, but would be interested.

I mean, it probably sounds like I am dying to get one of these, which really isn't the case. I am interested, but as is, the dollars and cents just don't add up. I still enjoy being married so spending $1800 USD isn't going to happen

Last edited by: Leavitt: Aug 30, 17 17:24
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [jmeitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmeitz wrote:
Ray,
Do you know if it will sync with the kickr 2 and can be controlled by it?

Nope, unfortunately not.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next